Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who DARES shoot lightning?

My intention was to stand on a high ground around East Coast,pref outside my friend's apartment( No protection from the rain ) and shoot...But somehow, it appeals to me that if I can get a highly sharp and saturated one, it would be nice. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdj
    Hey guys, (new here)

here is my pic

Taken at my parents house

cheers

Nick
    The lightning's nicely taken... however the yellow lights are too glaring.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jodie_tan
    My intention was to stand on a high ground around East Coast,pref outside my friend's apartment( No protection from the rain ) and shoot...But somehow, it appeals to me that if I can get a highly sharp and saturated one, it would be nice. Any suggestions?
    No protection from the rain??? Is your equipment rain-proof? Get a poncho to cover you and the equipment at least.

Wao. Great shots you guys have there. I think it really takes alot of patience and accuracy to shoot lightning, mainly because lightnings come without warning. If only thunder comes before lightning (or does it?). And that abit of luck pointing your camera in the right direction.

It would be much easier if you have at least a few hundred metres of view ahead and standing in a sheltered area on high grounds.

Would love to try it out if I can find the right place.

Default Wah...

really man.. to be able to photograph one is damn good. wonder wat settings do u all usually set them to?

shooting lightning is much tougher than shooting fireworks. settings are about the same. use BULB shutter is best, Aperture about F8 depends how 'fat' u want the lightning to be, focus to infinity, use a wide wide lens, cable release, fire at will, from 3-10+ seconds, when lightning strikes, u can close the shutter and open again, review on your LCD to see if foregroud is over/under exposed etc. Keep on firing!

Its rainy nowadays, but hardly any thunderstorms, many times the rain just appear w/o warning, esp at night, can't really see the clouds, no wind/thunder, and suddenly ..rain!

It'll be damn tough shooting lightning using film....*respect to those who do it.

be safe!

what i did was i had shutter speed at 8 sec i believe at 100ISO and just keept presing...on 3rd try that lightning bolt came and wuala this was the result...this was about 1 week after i got my first digi camera ahha

cheers

Nick
    Nick de Jonge
    www.skeyesphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdj
    Hey guys, (new here)

here is my pic

Taken at my parents house

cheers

Nick
    com'on... surely its a work of art to some, if not, all.... dun think you're a newbie already... wah ha haha... damn... tried to take lightning too... but didnt have a camera that have a long shutter.... kept trying and trying and trying until i was bored of trying... that's abt 5mins...

i stay at an apartment/flat overlooking RJC... clear view.... facing bt timah (i think) very nice view... though i've yet to capture a very nice shot of it.. ha haha... wait till i get my fz20 or d70

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12