Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Image Recovery

ericp, Convar PC/File-inspector, Lexar image recovery, Sandisk RescuePro etc consumer stuff are more or less totally useless for this kind of situation. (filled up to the brim again)

Bit of a deja vu for me. Had some images taken during an important shoot on a CF card, tried to download it and saw many folders with weird alphabets as file name in it and straightaway I knew that the card was corrupted.

Fellow colleague took the card and used his data recovery software(I don't know which) and managed to only salvage 1/2 of the images. It was better than nothing but still damage's done.

You can imagine how I felt....

Deregistered

Thanks wormzy, ericp for the wishes and help will try them out after I try a last scan of the CF, will be bringing it everywhere to see if it can be recovered. I'm pretty sure it's possible just that I don't have the right tools/knowledge to do it. I don't even mind paying USD$100 for a program to get it done.

ericp: I have been at it since 12am+ till 4am+, just got home after an all-out workout to vent my frustation. Will be at it again. Trying eImage Recovery now. It can recover the NEF but I can't preview it as thumbnail in Win2K, any idea? I need to make sure it's the right NEF before I purchase it.

2100: The Image Rescue 1 had no problems recovering images as far back as 4-5 formattings. Now the Image Rescue 2 is only recognizing the latest images I formatted off, which I have already a copy on DVD-R.

Lesson learnt, always backup. I was too confident and left only a copy on 1 HDD, should have done the usual XDriveII, Notebook, Office PC, DVD R, DVD RW and home PC routine Sigh.

Hmm....then you don't have image rescue 1? Skestang and the gang no?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    Bit of a deja vu for me. Had some images taken during an important shoot on a CF card, tried to download it and saw many folders with weird alphabets as file name in it and straightaway I knew that the card was corrupted.

Fellow colleague took the card and used his data recovery software(I don't know which) and managed to only salvage 1/2 of the images. It was better than nothing but still damage's done.

You can imagine how I felt....
    Hey Caesium, of course I know, if it's corrupted I've no worries, Lexar IR will work fine. Now is the case of the double formatting that caused the loss of the images. I'm pretty sure the forsenic IT dept at police stations can recover... but I can't just approach them.

The problem is that I'm now answerable and it's not the damage I'm worried about, it's the trust and a lot of other stuff, there's no way to make up for some damage, not even if you pay cold hard millions of cash for it (just a scenario although most cases it will work).

I'm saddened by the loss of the data more than anything. I just want to recover the last 40++ so images on the CF card, that's all I ask for. I managed to back up the 160+ I believe to DVDRW and am pretty glad so.. and during my complains of the X-DriveII unable to read my 2GB Lexars after getting it to work, I managed to backup the other 150+ shots while testing it. So in a sense, I"m in urgent need of these 40+ shots.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Hmm....then you don't have image rescue 1? Skestang and the gang no?
    IR 1 s/w I have, I can also easily get it from anybody in CS, the problem is the IR 1 requires the jumpshot cable. And from what I understand from AJ23 is that the 80x card doesn't work on the jumpshot cable, and IR1 only works with jumpshot cable. In a short sense, it's a deadlock. Thanks for the point out. Appreciate it.

Deregistered

I've replied you dude.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    ericp, Convar PC/File-inspector, Lexar image recovery, Sandisk RescuePro etc consumer stuff are more or less totally useless for this kind of situation. (filled up to the brim again)
    ya...those cosumer software can only reconstruct the FAT so that you can recover the data after formatting (not over-writing) or after the FAT is corrupted. There are two FAT in a hard disk so it is rather easy for these software to use the backup FAT to get back all the data.

For hard disk, it is large and less likely to "fill up to the brim", so there will be high chance of recovery. But once a sector is over written, you will definitely need the professional to recover for you liao, so if i were you, i will not try any of those recovery software on the net anymore, they recover using more or less the same technique, so if u tried a few software and it dont work, stop trying just in case the software make it worse.

As I have mentioned earlier, CF and hard disk are physically different, so you can't recover using the same technique.

Good luck!

Deregistered

Thanks wai for the kind wishes, will be bringing around tomorrow to find a solution, hope it helps... sigh. Thanks.

HI ESPN,

I am sorry, I just recieved my bounced mail from Yahoo. It replied with iillegel attachment.. *Probably oversized* Did you recieve on your side?

i remember singpost is going to provide service of that nature, not sure if they have started.

Deregistered

tokrot: Nope, did not receieve any, thanks for the kind gesture anyway

alexlkk: Urm... I can't wait more than 3 more weeks. I guess I'll just have to find someway to lesson the damage... but it's just the confidence will be pretty much shaken for me if I fail to hand the 40+ images up. Sigh... oh well... brave it up.

Will take halfday tomorrow to try out all the recovery services available and see what can be done.

Deregistered

espn, i pm'ed you a 2nd time, but no reply in regards to msn. did you receive my msg?

Deregistered

Hi SS, I don't have MSN, I didn't receive any PM from you though

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Hi SS, I don't have MSN, I didn't receive any PM from you though

Hi ESPN,

I was sending other copy through my Gmail. To my astonishment, after uploading the file, Goggle Gmail replied with "Sorry, for security Reasons, Gmail do not allow you to send this type of attachment."

I was trying to help. I know you do not have MSN messenger but I just registered this afternoon too. PM me so I can send you the file.

EDITED: Pal,

I managed to send the file through gmail by renaming the file ext to zzz. You'll need to rename the ext to zip format when u recieve parcel..
    Last edited by tokrot; 31st October 2004 at 08:44 PM.

Deregistered

Thanks tokrot appreciated.

Deregistered

Have called up ADRC as recommended by Kerpalz, they are pretty confident it's possible. Charges will range between 200-500 max. Hey, that's cheap!

Thanks folks for the kind advices. Will KIV this thread! Cross your fingers and pray for me!

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Hi tunster, thanks for the 'consolation' but the card has been filled to the brim before formatting and refilled today to the brim. I hope it's not as you mentioned... I do hope the data is recoverable. I'll have to try everything I guess. Thanks for the link.
    If that's the case. I am quite sure the data can not be retrieved.
    But if they ever manage to do it. Please update this thread. I would like to know how they did it. It's amazing..

GOOD LUCK!!
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 1st November 2004 at 10:23 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Deregistered

I'm pretty sure it can, and the personnel at ADRC seems pretty confident also, anyway will drop down later for a check up. I also hope it can be. If it can't, then I'll have to go think of a way to correct the damage done.

I called up Greenergy and phrased my technical issues to them, they like yanyewkay mentioned, said it's not possible. But anyway, no harm trying.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast