Thread: Need help understanding lighting

Default Need help understanding lighting

Hey I've been into outdoor photography for a while and I'm thinking of starting some simple studio photography. I've got a few questions, would be good if I could get some answers to them.

I'm thinking of starting a video blog. That would require good continuous lighting. Will I be able to use this continuous lighting for photography. If so, what is the difference between continuous light and strobes and flashes and such?

I'm currently on a tight budget. Is it recommendable to work on DIY lighting and backgrounds? My main concern from looking around for blubs is that I can't usually find anything more than 120W. and To get a good 1000W lighting key light, 500W fill and background, 150W hair, with some fabric clipped to a bamboo pole would cost me 60-70% of a proper basic setup. My key concern is energy and safety (electrical fire)

It would also be great is someone could give me a run through of some good lighting brands cos I've only very basic lighting experience.

Really very much appreciated

Default Re: Need help understanding lighting

The actual light setup I wouldn't be able to advice, but for your request on safety, throw in a fire extinguisher into your budget. kekeke
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I hear that the cont. lighting is really hot (your fabric may catch fire)...what David said really is for your own safety...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I'll ask the fire department to stand-by,in case of fire.

Haha that's true guys, wouldn't want to send the house down...

Not house.The whole unit blk burn down.Then you've sleep road side.These few days rain quite often.Very cold outside.

Blog Entries

rumors had it that 2000ws lights was often used by hongkong movie makers to cook their steamboat dinners on set...

we used to have a joke.

which one hotter? red heads or blondies?
    see who knows the ans

1000kw for key and 500kw for fill, hope your model able to open his/her eyes while you shoot, and you need to shoot in a air con room.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio