Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soccer/Football Match: Suitable lens from spectator stands

Default Re: Soccer/Football Match: Suitable lens from spectator stands

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    let me give u my estimates. the last i shot a football match, it was at jalan besar stadium where i can get up close and cosy.

at the sidelines. 70-200mm on a 60d. my shutter was around 1/500, iso around 1.6k. i'm either shooting at f2.8, else at f4.

chances are, from the spectator stand, at an INTERNATIONAL stadium, especially EPL matches, u will not get a good enough shot. 300 mm * 1.6 is about what. 480mm at 5.6 (based on ur equipment)? if i shoot on the field, i give up shooting beyond the midfield line (and thats me at 200*1.6 at 320mm f2.8) . remember that this is shooting from the on the field. i seriously doubt that shooting from the spectator stand will get u anything at all.

dun just consider whether u can bring ur camera or not. consider if u can even get a photo, on both the focal length, the image size, image quality and ur exposure settings. if ur expecting to do sports photography, i'll say forget it. if its just a few photos of the crowd, a birds eye view, perhaps.

simply put it. its too darn far for u to shoot much.

just hope u understand and not get ur hopes too high up. sports photography is pretty much out of the equation.

just give u an estimate. 200mm, from the corner shooting right across to the other on the same half of the field. this is just barely hitting the mark, at a small stadium in SINGAPORE.

and if u compare.... this is old trafford.

unless ur smack right at the front seat..........
    Nice shot of the Lions' celebration!
    Honestly I have not properly tried sports photography before - though even at 300mm with stabilization, I won't kid myself to believe I will get great perspiration-beads-on-determined-player-faces type of close-ups...
    Something of this nature would be good enough for me:

(ok nicked them off from this thread: Anfield/ Liverpool experience)
    Ok yes - my standards not very high and I don't ask very much, just pretty contented that way haha!
    and this guy looks to be seated pretty far up...
    Last edited by toxicboy; 24th October 2011 at 10:33 AM.
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toxicboy View Post
    Nice shot of the Lions' celebration!
    Honestly I have not properly tried sports photography before - though even at 300mm with stabilization, I won't kid myself to believe I will get great perspiration-beads-on-determined-player-faces type of close-ups...
    Something of this nature would be good enough for me:

(ok nicked them off from this thread: Anfield/ Liverpool experience)
    Ok yes - my standards not very high and I don't ask very much, just pretty contented that way haha!
    and this guy looks to be seated pretty far up...
    hmm. looking at the images... i sense he cropped a lot of it i guess hmm.

but if thats what you are looking for, i'll say its quite a good chance, if you are near front rows. get a monopod maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hmm. looking at the images... i sense he cropped a lot of it i guess hmm.

but if thats what you are looking for, i'll say its quite a good chance, if you are near front rows. get a monopod maybe...
    I think the guy's using a 1D - hopefully on my APSC after cropping I can at least see a bit more detail... haha!
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicboy View Post
    Nice! Where were you roughly seated, and did you manage to get any shots that you liked?? Care to share?
    Thanks!
    Sure i did get shots that i liked. Loving it, in fact. even with a 75-300 i was able to get sharp images (at least to my liking and level of sharpness) therefore i am very contented. you can view the photos in my fb Facebook

i was seated at the 3rd row from the front near where the players came out from the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Sure i did get shots that i liked. Loving it, in fact. even with a 75-300 i was able to get sharp images (at least to my liking and level of sharpness) therefore i am very contented. you can view the photos in my fb Facebook

i was seated at the 3rd row from the front near where the players came out from the tunnel.
    You got a really good seat my friend!
    I saw your album - Phil Neville's testimonial match - Nice!
    It would be awesome if I could get such shots at similar proximity with relative sharpness though.
    I remain... in hope! Thanks for sharing!
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicboy

You got a really good seat my friend!
    I saw your album - Phil Neville's testimonial match - Nice!
    It would be awesome if I could get such shots at similar proximity with relative sharpness though.
    I remain... in hope! Thanks for sharing!
    No prob. Hope you had a better idea of the distance for taking those shots. Anw it was gary's testimonial not his bro Phil and yes I got a really good seat I must admit. Good for taking close up of those players especially Beckham.

Sharing some photos from my trip... (finally haha)
    All hand held, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 VC USD.

Last edited by toxicboy; 25th January 2012 at 06:21 PM.
    theDevilisinthedetails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12