Thread: 3rd party lenses have certainly improved in quality...

Lightbulb 3rd party lenses have certainly improved in quality...

I'm sure all of you remember during the olden SLR days when people would always recommend not getting a 3rd party lens due to big compatibility problems, inferior lens quality, lousy build and feel, but over the years, things have certainly changed!

Now we see people recommending 3rd party lenses, a good example is the Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 APO II Macro Super which people dare recommend over the Canon 75-300mm version due to the optics. Prices are still low, and some can really give you a run for your money.

I dare say that it's a good time to be investing in lenses now, since a lot of manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina are now increasingly aware people will pay for good quality lenses, and the power of the word of mouth.

Anyone agrees/disagrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    I'm sure all of you remember during the olden SLR days when people would always recommend not getting a 3rd party lens due to big compatibility problems, inferior lens quality, lousy build and feel, but over the years, things have certainly changed!

Now we see people recommending 3rd party lenses, a good example is the Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 APO II Macro Super which people dare recommend over the Canon 75-300mm version due to the optics. Prices are still low, and some can really give you a run for your money.

I dare say that it's a good time to be investing in lenses now, since a lot of manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina are now increasingly aware people will pay for good quality lenses, and the power of the word of mouth.

Anyone agrees/disagrees?
    No kidding!!!?? heheh I have to agree. And the lens you mentioned : Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 APO Macro Super II I am going to get that to try out. Been hearing alot of good thing about and M Colour just quoted me S$315 for it. Not too bad. I had the Nikon 70-300mm ED a few years back when it was first launch ...was not that good but having seen some of the sample shots from the Sigma...it seem alot better then my Nikon one in terms of sharpness and contrast.

I've heard that the old Nikon D version of the 70-300(weighing a whopping 800+grams) was a superb performer. Everything changed with the G versions though. Based on current 70-300 lenses in production the sigma is one of the best i think.

3rd party lenses certainly have come a long way. Many of them do not lose out in build or quality to their original manufacturer equivalents and once you factor in the price difference, it's not really a contest.

I'm still waiting for Sigma/Tamron to produce a 70-200/2.8 with some OS technology. Wonder why they havent done it Probably if they could price it several hundreds cheaper than the VR/IS equivalents they would be making a killing
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    I've heard that the old Nikon D version of the 70-300(weighing a whopping 800+grams) was a superb performer. Everything changed with the G versions though. Based on current 70-300 lenses in production the sigma is one of the best i think.

3rd party lenses certainly have come a long way. Many of them do not lose out in build or quality to their original manufacturer equivalents and once you factor in the price difference, it's not really a contest.

I'm still waiting for Sigma/Tamron to produce a 70-200/2.8 with some OS technology. Wonder why they havent done it Probably if they could price it several hundreds cheaper than the VR/IS equivalents they would be making a killing
    Very easy actually, because they do not want to pay to use Canon/Minolta/Nikon's patents for IS, and it's not easy to design such a technology without infringing 3 different companies technology, since the chances of developing something similar to one of the company is very high, and thus getting sued.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    Very easy actually, because they do not want to pay to use Canon/Minolta/Nikon's patents for IS, and it's not easy to design such a technology without infringing 3 different companies technology, since the chances of developing something similar to one of the company is very high, and thus getting sued.
    But Sigma already have their own version of IS, they call it the Optical Stabilizer (OS) and it is being used in the Sigma 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 EX OS APO.

I agree that third party lens makers are indeed catching up, or might have even caught up, with original lens makers. I use and prefer the Sigma's version of the 105mm macro and 20mm WA to Nikon's own.

Color me convinced! I bet given enough time the other manufacturers will also develop their own stabalizer system!

Yeah, totally agree! BUT, in the old days (when I was young), there were also some gems around from Sigma (70-210mm/4.5) and Tamron.......at that time, Tokina wasn't around I think, or I wasn't aware of it.

Hong Sien

Default ;;

Does anyone feels that the OEM are 'bullying' us to NOT buy 3rd pty lenses? They keep highlighting 3rd pty parts will damage the body.

I really like my Sigma 24-70mm and will ONLY buy 3rd pty lenses (good ones) from now onwards, even if I had the money for 'L' lenses. Rather save the difference and buy more films OR treat everyone to chili crabs

i love my set of tokinas...

metal bodies...great build with great image

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    i love my set of tokinas...

metal bodies...great build with great image
    Sorry for the ignorance but what's with metal bodies? Won't it be heavier?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Some people like the feel of 'Indestructable'
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

used to have sigma and tamron lenses... but they have mysteriously been sold off would probably still get at least one that covers some unique ranges or offer constant aperture.