Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Lexar 1GB 80X (2nd ed.) - Thank you EastGear

  1. #1

    Smile Lexar 1GB 80X (2nd ed.) - Thank you EastGear

    EastGear was kind enough to replace my Lexar 1GB 80X (1st ed.) compactflash card (bought there in June) with the newer faster card! Thanks guys! The new card has an edge stamp number with the last 4 digits 'A4B6'. However, the new Lexar card looks the same as the old card.

    Rob Galbraith has just confirmed that newer faster cards shipping from Lexar are identical in appearance to a Lexar 1GB 80X first edition: the front and rear labels are the same in all respects. The last 4 digits 'A4B6' probably are the unique identifier that signifies an 80X second edition Lexar CompacFlash card. Rob Galbraith uses the word 'probably' as this edge stamp has not been verified by Lexar.

    Rob G. does say the cards with the last 4 digits 'A4B6' are significantly faster than the earlier (1st ed.) cards tested. My own quick speed test in a Canon 20D puts it at just below 5MB/sec when writing large/fine jpegs. If this speed is verified, it means the Lexar 80X will not be as fast as the Sandisk Extreme in the 20D. But at 5MB/sec....who really cares?

  2. #2

    Default

    I still remember the hoo-haa about the MO here for the 2GB 2nd edition. Apparently there are some who do not believe they are 2nd Edition just because of the missing "new" logo, despite all the huge number of independent/individual testing by users with the fastest bodies and CF readers. Happy waiting......coz even in the U.S the 2nd Ed is still with the old logo.

  3. #3

    Default

    Just bought a Lexar 80X 1G CF Card at $199 from AlanPhoto store at SLS fair today.
    The new card has an edge stamp number with the last 4 digits 'A4B6'.
    Is this 2nd edition CF card ? Is the price Ok ?

  4. #4

    Default 1gb

    Quote Originally Posted by lui002
    Just bought a Lexar 80X 1G CF Card at $199 from AlanPhoto store at SLS fair today.
    The new card has an edge stamp number with the last 4 digits 'A4B6'.
    Is this 2nd edition CF card ? Is the price Ok ?
    That's a great price.....half of what it was 5 mo. ago. As I said...it is the newer, faster card.....Lexar needs to confirm that it is by definition 2nd edition.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r52lanc
    My own quick speed test in a Canon 20D puts it at just below 5MB/sec when writing large/fine jpegs. If this speed is verified, it means the Lexar 80X will not be as fast as the Sandisk Extreme in the 20D.
    Thanks for your information, but this is very disappointing of Lexar.

    I honestly dislike very much the first edition (FE)/second edition (SE) thing. This is utterly confusing for customers

    Lexar is the only CF card maker to have this SE/FE thingy.

    a) Given that the SE is significantly faster than the FE, it's not very good for those who have purchased the FE. An SE of the same card should not be so much faster than the FE. It's alright if the SE is marginally faster.

    The fact that the SE is so much faster probably indicates that the FE is prematurely released. This is confirmed by the fact that the Lexar 80X FE is noticeably slower than the Sandisk Ultra II/Extreme in tests even though the Sandisk Ultra II/Extreme are rated at 66X. Even the Lexar SE 80X is just running neck to neck with the lower rated Sandisk Extreme

    b) Lexar has not made the difference between the SE and FE clear enough - making the confusion even more painful.

    c) There is no provision by Lexar to upgrade to the SE for FE owners

    In view of this, it appears that it is wise NOT to buy any future Lexar FE cards unless you cannot wait.

  6. #6

    Default 80x

    Quote Originally Posted by goering
    Thanks for your information, but this is very disappointing of Lexar.

    I honestly dislike very much the first edition (FE)/second edition (SE) thing. This is utterly confusing for customers

    Lexar is the only CF card maker to have this SE/FE thingy.

    a) Given that the SE is significantly faster than the FE, it's not very good for those who have purchased the FE. An SE of the same card should not be so much faster than the FE. It's alright if the SE is marginally faster.

    The fact that the SE is so much faster probably indicates that the FE is prematurely released. This is confirmed by the fact that the Lexar 80X FE is noticeably slower than the Sandisk Ultra II/Extreme in tests even though the Sandisk Ultra II/Extreme are rated at 66X. Even the Lexar SE 80X is just running neck to neck with the lower rated Sandisk Extreme

    b) Lexar has not made the difference between the SE and FE clear enough - making the confusion even more painful.

    c) There is no provision by Lexar to upgrade to the SE for FE owners

    In view of this, it appears that it is wise NOT to buy any future Lexar FE cards unless you cannot wait.
    You are right that the 80X was a bunch of marketing crap...especially for the 1st Edition. Now the 2nd Edition (if it's the 'A4B6' card) will still be slow compared to the Sandisk Extreme. If you are hobbyist, you won't care....but if you are sports photographer the difference between 4 or 5 or 6 MB/sec is important!

  7. #7

    Default Rob G.

    Rob Galbraith has updated his article. Now, we know that both the Lexar 1GB and 2GB 80X 2nd edition CF cards have an edge stamp number with the last 4 digits 'A4B6'. And, that the packaging/appearance are the same as the 1st edition cards.

    Shame on Lexar for not publically clarifying the issue as they had promised we would be informed in a timely manner when the 2nd edition cards were released. Obviously, they are trying to avoid a recall which would cost them money. Now, their reputation has been compromised.

    The speed test for Lexar 1GB 80X 2nd edition in the Canon 20D came in at 5.034MB/sec writing large/fine jpegs. On the high end of what I expected. Not doubt, this card is fast! A lot faster than the 1st edition card which Rob rated at 3.342MB/sec. And the 2nd edition card is effectively equal to the fastest card, theSandisk Extreme III 1GB, which came in at 5.038MB/sec.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •