Thread: Studying in Australia ...

Default Studying in Australia ...

Hi ..

I'm going to QUT to study on Feb 2003. Any advice one what I should prepare ??

Any good accommodations ?? I found a quite good one , southbank campus aprtment , good ???

When is the best time to go Feb date ?

What to bring ???

How much money to prepare for all the initial stuff I need to buy when I go there and rent etc ??

When to confirm my place in QUT ?? Wanted to confirm now but the currency not good now Australian Dollars very high !!

A A$2000 car can make it ???

What bank to go for in Australia ??

Need to being thick winter clothes or just normal winter clothes ??

Any other things that is important but I didn't mention ??

Thanks a lot !!!

Regards
    Guohui

Commonwealth Bank, Singapore office:
    50 Raffles Place #22-02
    Singapore Land Tower
    Singapore 048623
    Tel: 62243877/63720870

> Need to being thick winter clothes or just normal winter clothes ??

Feb isn't winter, so you won't have to worry
    about this. Cheaper to buy your winter wear
    in Australia itself

qhelix
    Guests

QUT? Where's that?

As the Feb timing, it's kinda hard to get seats if you book too late since it's the hols, although you might wanna consider staying for Chinese New Year? Maybe when relatives know you're going away they may give you an extra big Ang Pow

As for what to bring, I advise you to get most of your electrical stuff from Singapore like laptop/desktop. Things there are insanely expensive in some cases, and the 10% GST doesn't help at all

As for money, I don't know. Depends on whether you're staying with someone, that will affect mainly your rent. From what I hear, utilities like water and electricity are quite cheap. But mobile phone and a broadband connection there will suck up quite a bit of your cash.

Originally posted by qhelix
    From what I hear, utilities like water and electricity are quite cheap. But mobile phone and a broadband connection there will suck up quite a bit of your cash.
    Typical Aust prices.

56K dialup - 25-35 AUD per month.
    Broadband - 70-200 AUD per month depending on bandwidth.

Broadband establishment fee (modem + Telstra charges) - $450-500 AUD

Phone line rental for normal phone $19.90
    Extra line for Broadband $19.90
    Local calls (Landline) $0.15 to $0.22 per call for local area calls - no time charges. STD and O/S calls cost more.

Mobile phone costs depend on the access plan etc, anywhere from $10 and upwards per month plus calls.

Note prices are approx and are for Telstra services only
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by Ian

Typical Aust prices.

56K dialup - 25-35 AUD per month.
    Broadband - 70-200 AUD per month depending on bandwidth.
    I think for the A$70 per month broadband fee, you can only download 500mb right?

Originally posted by qhelix

I think for the A$70 per month broadband fee, you can only download 500mb right?
    It depends on your ISP ... some offer 500 MB while others offer up to 2 gig. Either way you can often pull more down from a 56K dialup.

Also most university account connections here seem to be 33k6 or 56K dialup anyway.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Studying in Australia ...

Originally posted by GKF
    Hi ..

Any good accommodations ?? I found a quite good one , southbank campus aprtment , good ???

When is the best time to go Feb date ?

What to bring ???

How much money to prepare for all the initial stuff I need to buy when I go there and rent etc ??

When to confirm my place in QUT ?? Wanted to confirm now but the currency not good now Australian Dollars very high !!

What bank to go for in Australia ??

Thanks a lot !!!

Regards
    Guohui
    I'm in Melbourne so I can't advice you on accommodations.

What do you mean by "best date". As mentioned, Feb is a very busy period as students are coming in for the start of the semester. Its best to book your flight early. I usually come home in Nov/Dec and will book my tickets in mid Dec for departure in Feb, after CNY.

"What to bring?" What do you need? Bring the essentials and buy whatever you need there. Note, electronic goods are generally more expensive in Australia but bargains are always there is you look around. I brought a small rice cooker and an MD player over and bought the rest like iron, water boiler here.

There is a limit on how much cash you can bring over. A$10,000 if I'm correct. So I would just bring that amount and have your parents send you the rest as soon as you open a bank account. Didn't know CBA has an office in Singapore. Go there is you have more enquires. As for rent, well it depends on where you stay. Don't know about Queensland but in Melbourne, a typical studio in or aroung the city runs from A$750 to A$1200 a month.

You can start applying for a place in Uni anytime. You can differ the date according to your plans later. I differed a full year because of NS committments. It always better to confirm the place first and avoid a mad rush in the end. Please note you have to apply for a student visa and before that, a medical check up. All these takes time to process. In fact, my cousin just arrived at QUT and she had quite a rush pushing her visa approval and stuff like that.

Cars and such are things that you can consider later. Don't wear yourself down with too much concerns. Its no fun. Settle down first. Who knows? If you find a place near campus, then there isn't a need for a car right?

Commonwealth Bank of Australia is where I go for my banking needs.

As mentioned before, Feb is not winter but do bring along a sweater or jacket just in case. Winter clothings are cheaper here if you look around, especially during the off season.

Can't think of anymore right now. Going out soon. I'll get back to you if I've got more info. Good luck.

Default ...been ther done that.....bought t-shirt & came back...

Hi there,

Great that you will b heading for QUT. Graduated from there and came back a very happy man. Well let me share my experiences there(3 yrs back and went back there for my honeymoon).

In UNI + Study:
    ============
    The life there in QUT i guess is rather laid back as it is in Australia. However, depends on the course that you will be taking, generally for the engineering courses. its the same for any University - mugging , assignments and projects. There would be almost half the class of Asians normally in engineering courses - and also many SINGAPOREANS.

Normally week 1,2,3 is "LIKE AS IF NOTHING TO DO"...but come week 3,4,5....onwards, assignments will come like sushi train.

My advice is, do not bring along your kiasu attitude there as this would make the Aussies pissed off(too bad thats normally the case). Building rapport with the lectureres is equally important as they can really go all out to help you if you are really in need of help(my personal experience). Some of the lecturers there are great authors of good books too - sit in front during lectures (so they can see you- no lah....its because you may not get used to the way they speak initially)

Everything now is rather internet based - includes assignments, notes and class groupings,time table.etc...

Books - try to get the booklist early and buy it here in Bras Basah or Clementi book shop as they are MUCH cheaper here. Get the books shipped by DHL jumbo box - quite okay pricing . Buy your stationeries here. - A Pacer Mechanical pencil here costing $5 can cost $10 there - no joke(based on experiece). Or buy them from the 2nd Hand bookshop run by the Student Guild.

If you can affor a laptop from Singapore - GET IT!!!!.. If already have a PC - SHIP IT. Minimally ship a CPU to reduce cost - Monitors can be bought from 2nd Shops.

Other than that - DO NOT SKIP LECTURES and TUTORIALS.

OUT of UNI - Living:
    ===============

Weather there in January- Feb still warm(end of summer - May still be Very hot sometimes- God knows). So you would probably end up wearing bermudas and t-shirt + beach sandals.

It will be cold during middle of the year and thats where people normally go up to Melbourne for Ski - In Mount Buller (Study hard & Play hard).- Buy 2nd Heater from Seniors who are going back.

Overall humidity is not as bad as Singapore.

Accomodation:
    ==========

The Student Association would help to look for accomodations normally - but it may not be what you like - some people endure for the first semester and move to a better place after making new friends - sharing flats etc.

Coming early 2 to 3 weeks ahead before school starts would be a good time to fit in orientations etc.

If you can afford, those nearer to City are generally higher priced. Students normally live in areas like:

- New Farm(near chinatown - where you can get asian groceries + meat),
    - Indooropilly(there is Westfield shopping center),
    - South Brisbane & West End(behind Southbank Area- I use to live in Vulture street, Whynot Street, Highgate Hill in that area - older houses, more local experience - BUT rental in that area is rising as they build up the place - lots of coffee outlets- Dont Miss THREE MONKEYS - cool place to hang out).(Accessible by bus & Train)
    - East Brisbane (accesible by ferry & Bus)
    - Stones Corner (A nice little area with shopping facilities)(Bus/Car)
    - Around UQ(University of Queensland Area)(Ferry/Car)
    - Mount Gravatt - Near Griffith University - (BUS/Car)
    NOTE: Parking is expensive in town & limited too - for me i cycle to school (parking for bicycle free!!!!)

I normally rent a car if i want to go places over weekends.

INTERNET:
    =======

check rates there - always new due to high competition.

Flights to and fro:
    ============
    British airways - BA16
    Qantas - QA (Same price as BA - code share)
    Singapore Air - SQ - Quite similar to BA
    Malaysia (via KL) - ( a little cheaper)
    Royal Brunei (via brunei) - last resort

Check price from the Student Guild Student Travel if you want to buy tickets for your vacation back to singapore.

Apply for ISIC card (internatioanl student card) if you want to travel around and get discount for accomdations)

Banking:
    =======
    There is Commonwealth. National Australian and Metway bank. So some give better rates etc. For EMERGENCY - bring you Singapore ATM cards which have Cirrus network so can with draw there.

Others:
    ======

The rest is up to you to make your life there different from studying back home. Learn their culture lifestyle and enjoy your stay there - BRING your camera - too bad i dont have any SLR when i was studying.

Oh one more thing.
    Have awebcam setup for your family - i used it when my wife(then my friend) graduated and came back first - using webcam really save MONEY!!!!!.

Thats all.................some little tips from me.....

Have a great preparation,

regards,
    me
    Last edited by sulhan; 10th July 2002 at 10:01 AM.

QUT is Queensland University of Technology.

According to my understanding Queensland is more to the northern side of the eastern states so the winter there is not too cold. like what others had said, buy your winter wear there as it will be cheaper. For me, I got mine here because my dad works in a place which makes winter jackets.

For electronics, generally more expansive but you need to consider how much you can bring too. cannot everything also bring there, you end up paying for over weight charges to the airport. also take note that australia power plugs doesn't use our 3 pins. my advice is to buy a few convertors and a few local extension block. so you just need one convertor to use a few singapore appliances. their plugs are also three pins but is oritation is like below(donno whether will come out correct).
    |
    \ /

try to settle in a place to live before you go over. if not go over early. you are going to be very disappointed if you think that you can get a place to stay nearby 2 weeks before semester starts. most existing student already secure a place before they came back for holidays. so alot of 'good' location are already gone. unless you don't mind to stay a bit further. then you have to take a bus or drive. I donno about campus parking in QUT, but in UWA it is quite limited.

A A$2000 can be driven. car at such price need to take a while to find. if you are unlucky, you drive away with one that breaks down in 2 months. Budget cars is not everywhere, so look around after you settle down.

for myself, I use Commonwealth bank until their campus branch close. so my advice is to find out where you staying and what banks are nearby before making a decision. no point going for a bank that is not conv for yourself.

one last important thing, bring your camera to take picture of all the beautiful places in queensland and other part of australia. photo development is slightly cheaper there.
    Last edited by PsychoBoy; 10th July 2002 at 09:48 AM.

Default Re: Studying in Australia ...

Originally posted by GKF
    Hi ..

hey my alma mater!!! what are you studying there? i'm a QUT grad too...

southbank campus apt is not too bad, how much is the rent? it's a little pricey if i'm not wrong, lotsa rich Indo-chinese kids there. you should check out Unilodge as well, it's rite in the city, like 2 blocks away from campus. southbank you still have to travel across the river...

When is the best time to go Feb date ? What to bring ???

for first-timers, you should target about 1 week before the semester starts, just to get settled in and get a feel of the place. try to settle at least some temporary accomodation before you go, so that you can look around still and compare rent, location, etc. i stayed in the suburbs, so rent was super cheap. general rule-of-thumb - the further you are, the cheaper the rent.

first time i went, i brought about 5k aussie dollars. this is mostly for rent, deposit on the lease, and other misc. stuff while i set up my bank account. it's best to bring a bit more as it takes a while to open an account.

isn't there like a cut-off date for you to submit your semester fees? once you apply and get approved, i think you got until like 2 months before the semester starts to pay up or forfeit your position. so i think you still got quite a bit of time to monitor the exchange rates... don't be too greedy though and keep waiting for the rate to drop. once it reaches an acceptable level, you can change it liao. many people make the mistake of waiting and waiting, until it's almost too late, then they have no choice but to accept the then-current rate which is much higher. it's like stock market...

depends on your preferences. 2k can get you a decent 2nd hand car, like a old honda civic. i drove a $600 super-old mazda 626 for a while... it was quite ok, just had to check the engine myself regularly. once you reach there, there's this classifieds newspaper (can't remember what it's called) available in most of the supermarkets. it's all entirely claasified adverts, just buy a copy and browse thru. you should get a good idea of what 2K can get you... come to think of it, if you're gonna drive, can consider staying further away, to save on house rent. even a short 10 mins stay away will cut your rent drastically.

What bank to go for in Australia ??i used NAB (national ausie bank), but ANZ is fine as well. both quite equally available in terms of branches and ATMs

not in brisbane. bring some normal winter clothes, as queensland is not as cold as sydney or melbourne. in fact, it's quite warm most of the time but there are some freak winter weather sometimes. i usually just bring a jacket and wear a long sleeve tee-shirt/pullover when it's colder.

if you forget anything, gimme a PM or email me at firefox13@pacific.net.sg. i'll be happy to advise where i may...

good luck with your studies and have fun at the Gold Coast!!!
    Last edited by Larry; 10th July 2002 at 12:19 PM.

Default Re: Re: Studying in Australia ...

Originally posted by Kit

I'm in Melbourne so I can't advice you on accommodations.
    hey im heading to melbourne to study in monash uni in 2003.
    any tips for me??
    wonder if its gonna get lonely there.

Default Re: Re: Re: Studying in Australia ...

Originally posted by eadwine

hey im heading to melbourne to study in monash uni in 2003.
    any tips for me??
    wonder if its gonna get lonely there.
    Yo! I'm a monash grad!
    So which campus will you be going and which course will you be studying?

I think most of the important pts have been covered by ppls here, one thing you've to take note is the pace there is somehow slower than Singapore, its take sometime to adjust to the lifestyle there.

Dun worry about getting lonely there, there R lots of asian in Melbourne. Beside, Assuie there R generally friendly.