Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question On Taking Waterfall With Dreamy Water Effect

Default Re: Newbie Question On Taking Waterfall With Dreamy Water Effect

Quote Originally Posted by babytweety View Post
    Btw, was thinking again, if I want to use those screw type filters, a CPL and an ND filters stacked together, can caused any problem? Vignetting?
    CPL and ND seems quite an odd combination. Not saying it's incorrect, just that I haven't seen it used before.
    The more filters you stack, the thicker the whole thing becomes. Especially when used with an ultra-wide angle lens, there's a high chance of running into issues of vignetting.
    Exploring! :)

Shutter speed should be a long exposure. A few seconds, i think.

For properly exposed photo, that, I have yet to play around and know how
    Any water feature near your home? I know that quite a number of condominiums have man-made waterfalls or fountains. Can practise there.
    Few seconds... possible, though I guesstimate that about 1s should be sufficient.

Shutter speed should be a long exposure. A few seconds, i think.

For properly exposed photo, that, I have yet to play around and know how
    it can be somewhere from 1-5 secs give or take.
    some googled sites suggested shooting in shutter priority... you can do this in aperture priority which I find it simpler.
    first take a base shot at aperture priority and check what shutter speed it is. From there you will know how many stops down required to get that shutter speed.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    CPL and ND seems quite an odd combination. Not saying it's incorrect, just that I haven't seen it used before.
    The more filters you stack, the thicker the whole thing becomes. Especially when used with an ultra-wide angle lens, there's a high chance of running into issues of vignetting.
    It is not an odd combination. Just that, it is seldom used. Using the CPL to cut glare so that you can get to see through the water surface... and ND to get the exposure correct.
    It is possible to avoid vignetting issue by using ultra low profile CPL and ultra low profile circular ND or larger square filter.

btw, a cpl add 1-2 stops down as well.
    Last edited by coolthought; 20th October 2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

i suggest u use a CPL filter first. It's one stop down.

If you have live view, go into manual mode, adjust the shutter n aperture n iso value accordingly as live view have exposure simulation.I use abt 8secs to get a dreamy shot.
    Dedicated EOS user.

Hmmm.. After reading thru your comments, I will try using cpl as suggested by donut88.

Quote Originally Posted by babytweety
    Hmmm.. After reading thru your comments, I will try using cpl as suggested by donut88.
    Good decision. Lol

BTW, when hunting for CPL filters, be mindful of recommended brands only. Don't anyhow get some unknown brand.

I'm no expert in this, though I'm using a very unknown CPL filter brand but I'm still happy with the results. It delivers what a CPL filter promises. I'm lucky, I guess.

Brands like kenko and Hoya have different quality for a same filter, due to country of manufacture.

I would suggest to get a ND8 rather than a CPL. I love my ND8, but sold off after I got a ND110.

Quote Originally Posted by HighTone
    I would suggest to get a ND8 rather than a CPL. I love my ND8, but sold off after I got a ND110.
    But ND8 and ND110 are so different.
    Are you saying you are now using the ND110 for those situations where you used ND8 before?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

But ND8 and ND110 are so different.
    Are you saying you are now using the ND110 for those situations where you used ND8 before?
    Yes I agree it's very different. Nd110 I normally use in bright day light and much longer exposure. I limit the use of nd110 from 7am to 7pm only. Anytime before 7am and after 7pm, I won't use nd already.

CPL will increase saturation on some situations, which ND filters don't, so you need to know what you want and use the right filter for the right job.

when I shoot timelapse, I need to use the different power of ND filters to get the effects I want. tho I have fader ND filter, but I prefer the fixed stops ND filters as they are more precise.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Wah! Just wanna take a photo of a waterfall seems so chim lah!

Now I'm confused. Don't know where to begin with... use CPL or ND...

Read post #32

Your question was simple but somehow the answers got more and more complicated.

Simple answer: You need a shutter speed of 1s or longer to get the dreamy effect. The longer the dreamier. If your camera complains it's too bright, then you darken it with a ND filter. ND8 is a safe choice.

All the other complicated and confusing answers, come back and read them again once you have achieved your initial goal

Quote Originally Posted by edmundt View Post
    Your question was simple but somehow the answers got more and more complicated.

Simple answer: You need a shutter speed of 1s or longer to get the dreamy effect. The longer the dreamier. If your camera complains it's too bright, then you darken it with a ND filter. ND8 is a safe choice.

All the other complicated and confusing answers, come back and read them again once you have achieved your initial goal
    Hahaha over-complication always happens...
    Essentially it boils down to 3 things:
    1) Know the requirements of the 'job'
    2) Know the characteristics of the tools
    3) Select the appropriate tool to accomplish the 'job'

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

Read post #32
    Done. Ok, now understand more. Txs! 

@ edmund & ZerocoolAstra, thanks for the explanations guys. Now all I have to do is to start shoot step by step using nd anf then cpl, to see which I prefer. I know to learn photography is to shoot a lot in every kinds of methods, with trials and errors, to know which are the ones I want to achieve. Will try soon as there is a newly open waterfront at my place and there us a waterfall! Thanks again guys!

@ edmund & ZerocoolAstra, thanks for the explanations guys. Now all I have to do is to start shoot step by step using nd anf then cpl, to see which I prefer. I know to learn photography is to shoot a lot in every kinds of methods, with trials and errors, to know which are the ones I want to achieve. Will try soon as there is a newly open waterfront at my place and there us a waterfall! Thanks again guys!
    All the best!
    I suppose you live in Punggol

I stay Punggol but where is the water fall
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast