Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin, Singapore, Singapo
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin


  2. #2
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,858

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    another useless "Like" competition.

    u dun win with your good photos, you win with the most number of friends on facebook voting for you.
    Last edited by sinned79; 18th October 2011 at 11:57 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok Street24
    Posts
    2,367

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    another useless "Like" competition.

    u dun win with your good photos, you win with the most of friends on facebook voting for you.
    Good say.

  4. #4

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    Organisers have to stop using Facebook "Like" for photo contests if they really want to attract talents to participate.

  5. #5
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littletiger2010
    Organisers have to stop using Facebook "Like" for photo contests if they really want to attract talents to participate.
    they dun care cos they want more ppl to like their facebook page (more likes = publicity & traffic). cos u gotta like the page before u can vote by 'like'. to me its just publicity stunts.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1

    Default Recently saw an interesting fiction

    Del. I'm sorry - error topic...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore | Bishan
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    WOW, look at this term:

    "Each participant, by submission of their photographic works in participation of this competition further agrees to give CR all and any rights or interests in said photographic work. CR reserves the right to use that photographic work in any manner it deems fit, be it in its own advertisements, promotions or digital use. These examples are not exhaustive and CR reserves to right to use, dispose or exploit these photographic works in any way."

    This is un-ethical.
    Can ClubSnap have a policy to remove such competitions? Just to maintain integrity and respect of the community.
    D90 | 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 || flickr || photoblog

  8. #8
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,858

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    Quote Originally Posted by ssdesign View Post
    WOW, look at this term:

    "Each participant, by submission of their photographic works in participation of this competition further agrees to give CR all and any rights or interests in said photographic work. CR reserves the right to use that photographic work in any manner it deems fit, be it in its own advertisements, promotions or digital use. These examples are not exhaustive and CR reserves to right to use, dispose or exploit these photographic works in any way."

    This is un-ethical.
    Can ClubSnap have a policy to remove such competitions? Just to maintain integrity and respect of the community.
    yah, this is like free advertisement for them to carry out such publicity stunts.

    Should make them pay clubsnap for such advertisement.

    Their plan?

    - Come clubsnap ask for freeloading photos
    - True talents not recognised since its a "Like" contest
    - Does not serve anything good to the photography community here, not a win-win situation but win-win for the organiser, gets traffic to their facebook page.

  9. #9
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    The organizer had spoken to the admins to seek permission before posting this contest here. The admin had verified their identity and had adviced them on the "cons" of conducting the contest via Facebook "likes".

    You're welcome to feedback to the organizer regarding your opinion on the contest rules. But let's keep the thread clean and refrain from OT. You can opt not to participate if you dislike such FB contests or think the rules are unfair.

    Thanks for your cooperation.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin, Singapore, Singapo
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    Dear everyone who is interested in this photo competition,

    I am Vicky, the organiser of this Competition.

    First, I would like to apologise for all the misunderstanding caused.

    Second, I am here to clarify the purposes of the competition and judging processes.

    Since we are not experts in photographing, this is to source for pictures to upload onto our website and facebook page and a general way to promote our resort's beautiful and serene environment to the public.

    We believe that there will be numbers of entries hand into this competition. However, as mentioned before, we are not experts. We think that judging all the brilliant photos by our own side is not fair enough,we believe in public's eyes. Therefore, we choose to use facebook as a platform to vote where we have more than 4000 fans at our page.

    Since this is my first competition organising in Celestial Resort, I seek your understanding and support.

    Again, I am sorry if my clarification is not enough to ease your anger.


    Warmest Regards,

    Vicky Lee

  11. #11
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,858

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    Quote Originally Posted by celestial View Post
    Dear everyone who is interested in this photo competition,

    I am Vicky, the organiser of this Competition.

    First, I would like to apologise for all the misunderstanding caused.

    Second, I am here to clarify the purposes of the competition and judging processes.

    Since we are not experts in photographing, this is to source for pictures to upload onto our website and facebook page and a general way to promote our resort's beautiful and serene environment to the public.

    We believe that there will be numbers of entries hand into this competition. However, as mentioned before, we are not experts. We think that judging all the brilliant photos by our own side is not fair enough,we believe in public's eyes. Therefore, we choose to use facebook as a platform to vote where we have more than 4000 fans at our page.

    Since this is my first competition organising in Celestial Resort, I seek your understanding and support.

    Again, I am sorry if my clarification is not enough to ease your anger.


    Warmest Regards,

    Vicky Lee
    Just to share with you from a photographer perspective.

    Yes you want to have public eyes but to photographers who submitted will not find this competition a fair one.

    Why? Reason is simple. Now I just need to get all my facebook friends to "Like" your page then vote for my photos, so this competition had reduced to "who got the most facebook friends will win this competition". It doesn't matters anymore if the photos are good or craps.

    So in the end, you have your traffic to your facebook page while the good photographers who deserved to win but because they don't have so much facebook friends to help them vote, lost as a result. So its a win situation to your organisation but a lose situation to the photographer who participated.

    Just my point of view.

    To get a panel of judges, it is very simple, just invite any moderators or even admins from this forum, do some collaboration here, I am sure they can take some time to help out to be the judges. At least this is much fairer to the contestants.

    So these days, I don't bother participating such facebook "Like" competitions cos to me, it's of no value.
    Last edited by sinned79; 1st November 2011 at 12:33 PM.

  12. #12
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    actually any picture that ends up on facebook would have already become the property of facebook and all copyright for that particular picture at that resolution goes out the window. =)
    sigh.

  13. #13

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    Just to share with you from a photographer perspective.

    Yes you want to have public eyes but to photographers who submitted will not find this competition a fair one.

    Why? Reason is simple. Now I just need to get all my facebook friends to "Like" your page then vote for my photos, so this competition had reduced to "who got the most facebook friends will win this competition". It doesn't matters anymore if the photos are good or craps.

    So in the end, you have your traffic to your facebook page while the good photographers who deserved to win but because they don't have so much facebook friends to help them vote, lost as a result. So its a win situation to your organisation but a lose situation to the photographer who participated.

    Just my point of view.

    To get a panel of judges, it is very simple, just invite any moderators or even admins from this forum, do some collaboration here, I am sure they can take some time to help out to be the judges. At least this is much fairer to the contestants.

    So these days, I don't bother participating such facebook "Like" competitions cos to me, it's of no value.
    Agree!!... Someone who can get all their international friends who has 4000 to 5000 friends to like a pic will sure win this and the photos might be the worst of the lot.

  14. #14

    Default Re: CELESTIAL RESORT 2011 Digital Photography Facebook Competition in Pulau Ubin

    I've heard of some people who create 10 accounts for their gaming purposes, so people can also create 10 accounts to like his own picture. indeed not very fair tho.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    169

    Default

    I will boycott this CR.
    Canon 7DMKII |7D| EF16-35 F2.8L II|50 F1.4|100mm F2.8L|Tamron 150-600mm|

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •