Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

  1. #1
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    This is purely for audio listening .
    I am thinking of digitizing my loads of CDs for wireless home streaming so that I can play on the setups in my living room and bedroom. Format will be the lossless flac.

    I am looking for an audio player that can do the following :
    1) Access wirelessly the NAS server stored with the digital files
    ( one player in each room )
    2) Play and output via S/PDIF / RCA to my recievers
    3) Optional control of the player(s) via phones/tablet ( android )

    Any of such options available ? Anyone has similar streaming setup at home ?

    Ryan

  2. #2

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    I had a Roku Soundbridge once but rarely use it so I sold it. I intended to use it with radio streaming, but somehow don't have the time to really listen to.
    It has RCA connector, I think. I use DLink wireless router which double as media server. Works great.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    There was a local audiophile forum that had really awesome info and tips.

    For controlling the home setup, the new Sony tablet is good - it has an IR port. If you want control via WiFi through an app, that's something I am not sure of. :P

    Also, I'm not sure if there is enough bandwidth to stream the Flac files - again, the audiophile forum can help.

    You can try here:

    http://www.echoloft.com/hifi-forum/index.php

    Audiophile's & HTPC Corner
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    I saw this
    Marantz US | NA7004
    Can it be an option that meets your requirements?
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    My ac Ryan mini can do that, but u need to power on ur tv to browse the menu.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    i try streaming to ps3 from PC, very laggy. got bandwidth issue. i think i will stick to physical connection(using USB storage).
    Last edited by ninelives; 18th October 2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Objection !!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Thx for the inputs. I was just suggested by a friend to try Logitech Squeezebox Touch as an option, I'd probably look more into that. ( It has android remote app too! ) If it works i'd probably get two of them for each room.

    Ryan

  8. #8
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    I had a Roku Soundbridge once but rarely use it so I sold it. I intended to use it with radio streaming, but somehow don't have the time to really listen to.
    It has RCA connector, I think. I use DLink wireless router which double as media server. Works great.
    I heard of the Roku Soundbridge, so you stream your medial files from ur media server ? Does it connect wirelessly ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    There was a local audiophile forum that had really awesome info and tips.

    For controlling the home setup, the new Sony tablet is good - it has an IR port. If you want control via WiFi through an app, that's something I am not sure of. :P

    Also, I'm not sure if there is enough bandwidth to stream the Flac files - again, the audiophile forum can help.

    You can try here:

    http://www.echoloft.com/hifi-forum/index.php

    Audiophile's & HTPC Corner
    Thanks, I think I will go post on some of these forums and keep a look out. Apparently some of these products did launch their apps for tablet / phone controls! I foresee the phone to be a universal controller for most appliances one of these days.. too many remotes. ..

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    I saw this
    Marantz US | NA7004
    Can it be an option that meets your requirements?
    Yup I came across this, but i think it needs to be wired to the NAS..

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    My ac Ryan mini can do that, but u need to power on ur tv to browse the menu.
    I actually have a HD2 but the GUI is so extremely slow I am looking for alternatives.. ( And it is only living room )

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    i try streaming to ps3 from PC, very laggy. got bandwidth issue. i think i will stick to physical connection(using USB storage).
    Wife dun like too many wires running around ..

  9. #9
    Member jsprtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CEntral
    Posts
    416

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    I have a synology NAS DS211, I used it to stream media to TV, computer, Iphone, Ipad even a PS3.

    Works great.
    Shoot First, Ask Questions Later...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jas_works/

  10. #10

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I heard of the Roku Soundbridge, so you stream your medial files from ur media server ? Does it connect wirelessly ?
    Yes, but mind the wireless signal quality and bandwidth.
    If you want to be 100% sure, I suggest using the good ol cable

  11. #11
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    After much reading and asking ard, I got a Logitech Squeezebox Touch


    Source : Squeezebox

    Runs flac files well, the DAC was musical. Of course my wife got pretty savy with remote control of via her android phone and tablet. Creating Playlist needs some fiddling with though. Probably get another Touch in separate room later. Gonna retire my stash of CDs

    Ryan

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy
    After much reading and asking ard, I got a Logitech Squeezebox Touch

    Source : Squeezebox

    Runs flac files well, the DAC was musical. Of course my wife got pretty savy with remote control of via her android phone and tablet. Creating Playlist needs some fiddling with though. Probably get another Touch in separate room later. Gonna retire my stash of CDs

    Ryan
    If you're not already using a NAS.

    If you get one, look for those that support Squeezrcenter. Buffalo. Zxyel, readyNas are some.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    After much reading and asking ard, I got a Logitech Squeezebox Touch


    Source : Squeezebox

    Runs flac files well, the DAC was musical. Of course my wife got pretty savy with remote control of via her android phone and tablet. Creating Playlist needs some fiddling with though. Probably get another Touch in separate room later. Gonna retire my stash of CDs

    Ryan
    Thanks for sharing the solution you found!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  14. #14
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Is this the same as dlna?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Last edited by dreaming; 8th November 2011 at 08:19 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Echo Loft forum has been dead as a dodo for a long time. Go to Etreme Place for all things audio/hi-fi & one may find useful discussions under Planet HTPC/Computers...

    TS care to share how are converting all your CDs to the servers as I have the same intention for mine but yet to get round to doing it. Was too busy with photography instead of hi-fi now
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 8th November 2011 at 10:48 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    If you're not already using a NAS.

    If you get one, look for those that support Squeezrcenter. Buffalo. Zxyel, readyNas are some.
    I have a friend recommending Synology which apparently supports as well. I will definitely look into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Thanks for sharing the solution you found!
    No prob!

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    Is this the same as dlna?
    I am a little illiterate on this. online says "UPNP and DLNA are supported through the SqueezeboxServer, not the player", not sure what it means though.

    Yup visited Adelphi some time back on the Sonos product, but not exactly what I had in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Echo Loft forum has been dead as a dodo for a long time. Go to Etreme Place for all things audio/hi-fi & one may find useful discussions under Planet HTPC/Computers...

    TS care to share how are converting all your CDs to the servers as I have the same intention for mine but yet to get round to doing it. Was too busy with photography instead of hi-fi now
    Ya i usually visit xtremeplace forum instead.

    I converted some of my CDs into flacs some time ago with a free flac converter. Copied around 50 over flac songs into an SD card for the Touch, works pretty well. i have yet the energy and time to sit down and do up the bulk of the rest of my other audio CDs though. As mentioned the DAC is pretty competent, and I dun see the need of getting another separate dedicated USB/DAC unit like what some others did ( good for me, save money )

    I have an ACRyanPlayonHD2 but does not seem to support squeezeserver unfortunately.
    I will have to look into another NAS that supports subsequent date.

    Ryan

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy

    I have a friend recommending Synology which apparently supports as well. I will definitely look into it.

    No prob!

    I am a little illiterate on this. online says "UPNP and DLNA are supported through the SqueezeboxServer, not the player", not sure what it means though.

    Ryan
    Synology is expensive. The buffalo 4 bay is quoting around $399 without HD.

    With the Squeezeboxserver, your Touch can access your music files in the NAS without a pc running. How are you currently wired? Hd at the touch?

    Vortexbox is an option, it's Linux. All you need is an old pc or get an Atom board to set it up. It'll work as a NAS, squeeze server and player in 1 box. Handles raid 0, 1, 5. Also has built in cd and DVD rip functions. Just put in the cd or DVD and it'll rip automatically. I'm using this at the moment but ripping using dbpoweramp, the built in doesn't handle Asian titles well.

    Take a look here www.vortexbox.org. Search for dbpoweramp.

  19. #19
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Home Wireless Audio Streaming Setup Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    Synology is expensive. The buffalo 4 bay is quoting around $399 without HD.

    With the Squeezeboxserver, your Touch can access your music files in the NAS without a pc running. How are you currently wired? Hd at the touch?

    Vortexbox is an option, it's Linux. All you need is an old pc or get an Atom board to set it up. It'll work as a NAS, squeeze server and player in 1 box. Handles raid 0, 1, 5. Also has built in cd and DVD rip functions. Just put in the cd or DVD and it'll rip automatically. I'm using this at the moment but ripping using dbpoweramp, the built in doesn't handle Asian titles well.

    Take a look here vortexbox.org rip, tag, get cover art… All you do is insert the CD!. Search for dbpoweramp.

    Hi qystan thanks for your input.

    I am still a little green in this, not much time spent to tweak.
    At the moment I am storing my flacs in an SD card inserted into my current Touch.
    ( Yes a portable harddisk can apparently be connected via USB to Touch and will work as well )
    Touch is connected via RCA stereo analogues to my AVR -> speakers
    It is connected to my wireless router network. Control of the Touch unit is possible when my phones/tablet connects to the wireless network to control Touch.

    Ryan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •