Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should i work as part time job a not??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should i work as part time job a not??

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Sorry, I edited my post, that was at a later stage in life.. Secondary school almost everyday eat dinner at home ma.

Good la, your parents are not spoiling you that way, then you can know the value of everything.

Oscar Wilde: ""Modern man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

Especially so in Singapore.
    yep. even my 7 dollars a day, i also find it a bit too high tbh. i spend around 3 bucks at most a day, save around 4-5 bucks. within a month, usually can get a camera filter. give half a year, maybe even a lens.

but then again, i dun engage in movies, dun go out to drink and party... prefer to take a camera go out shoot, or stay at home watch documentaries on youtube.

so much more to learn, so much to do, and its free too!

Just ask them to submit a breakdown of their expenses and justification why $800/month is not enough.

Ok, if the standards of living go that high, then fair enough. For now, I'm squeezing my brains and I can't think of how to finish spending $800 as a student... Well, unless you change handphones every 3 months..
    I didn't think I would believe it when I saw an article last year about a student complaining not enough allowance at abt $500 per month, reason being: every meal = fast food and also want to buy make up stuffs (e.g. lipstick at ~$20-$40 per stick) and not forgetting changing phone every 6 months. I think that time this article drew quite an attention...

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yep. even my 7 dollars a day, i also find it a bit too high tbh. i spend around 3 bucks at most a day, save around 4-5 bucks. within a month, usually can get a camera filter. give half a year, maybe even a lens.

but then again, i dun engage in movies, dun go out to drink and party... prefer to take a camera go out shoot, or stay at home watch documentaries on youtube.

Back in my day was $5 per day. If you want toys/non study stuffs, pay with your savings....still have some leftovers..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I didn't think I would believe it when I saw an article last year about a student complaining not enough allowance at abt $500 per month, reason being: every meal = fast food and also want to buy make up stuffs (e.g. lipstick at ~$20-$40 per stick) and not forgetting changing phone every 6 months. I think that time this article drew quite an attention...

Back in my day was $5 per day. If you want toys/non study stuffs, pay with your savings....still have some leftovers..
    no la. come to think of it, my notes are all from the 7 bucks. so yea. i dun have books one. need pay for lecture notes and tutorials.

so more or less around there.

when it comes to camera, i try not to ask my parents. apart from the initial cost, quite proud to say the rest is part time money/save from daily allowance. never asked for extra.

no la. come to think of it, my notes are all from the 7 bucks. so yea. i dun have books one. need pay for lecture notes and tutorials.

so more or less around there.

when it comes to camera, i try not to ask my parents. apart from the initial cost, quite proud to say the rest is part time money/save from daily allowance. never asked for extra.
    If talking about Poly/JC, I was abit better off with $10 per day..But also due to extra expenses in printing notes, more expensive meals, Transport etc.. But good to have such mentality for saving up for what you want than to have the "要钱伸手" attitude...

imo, I feel that some (many) kids just don't feel that money is hard to earn till they start earning..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

imo, I feel that some (many) kids just don't feel that money is hard to earn till they start earning..
    Some people still never feel that money is hard to earn, because when they start earning, they continue to take money from their parents.

I actually feel sad for them. Anytime, when that source of money goes, for whatever reason, they will crash... Hard.

Some people still never feel that money is hard to earn, because when they start earning, they continue to take money from their parents.

I actually feel sad for them. Anytime, when that source of money goes, for whatever reason, they will crash... Hard.
    That's just .....sad..

Blog Entries

If talking about Poly/JC, I was abit better off with $10 per day..But also due to extra expenses in printing notes, more expensive meals, Transport etc.. But good to have such mentality for saving up for what you want than to have the "要钱伸手" attitude...

well... i think if its buying books, be it photography or studies etc, i can understand.

but if its buy concert tickets etc etc and still ask parents money.... *shrugs*

personally i think, just hang on to the next purchase.. buy when you have the extra cash..
    and spend your time on what is important first...

Quote Originally Posted by Telsoon View Post
    i am currently looking for a part time job because i failed my interview at Power station because my age was too young. Should i work to get a better lens ??? or should i spend my holiday taking pictures to build up my portfolio ??

Your comments will be welcome. Introduce me job also can.
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

its not free... some one gotta pay for the power bills..

i only replies to PM and nothing else..

Quote Originally Posted by Telsoon View Post
    O.o, i am only interested in Events, Wedding, Landscape photo. But i scared i screwed the whole event if i take part as a photographer .
    Assist wedding photographer

Still remember having to apply for scholarships/bursaries and look for part-time job to have enough $$$ to pay for school fees during my poly & uni days instead of going about asking for $$$ from my parents. As I felt my parents' $$$, is theirs to spend, even as their son I have no right asking for $$$ if I can earn from my own merits. Anyone disagree?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Still remember having to apply for scholarships/bursaries and look for part-time job to have enough $$$ to pay for school fees during my poly & uni days instead of going about asking for $$$ from my parents. As I felt my parents' $$$, is theirs to spend, even as their son I have no right asking for $$$ if I can earn from my own merits. Anyone disagree?
    no one in their right mind will disagree la...

as to senserain's comment, electrical bills from using the computer for a year, is much lesser than a concert by korean pop stars any day. its a cost benefit approach. my cost is pretty low, and the benefits i get are pretty high. i spend my time looking at documentaries on things like philosophy, religion, science. its way more productive than chasing kpop stars anyday imho and cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    No way I can disagree with that...

Just saying... I'm 17, and every cent I spent on photography is from my own savings.
    I sold all the gear my parents bought me and paid back everything, because I dont think its their responsibility to get me what I want,.

All the cameras and lenses I have is from my own pocket, all from endlessly saving up, investments and taking jobs, not from accepting my parents' money...

Wasn't there a famous millionaire that donated all his savings to charities instead of passing it to his children as inheritance?

From what I observe nowadays, parents in Singapore especially those that are well off tend to substitute money for time and attention spent with their kids.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 19th November 2011 at 05:40 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Sorry for the mistake i post the last few reply.
    My allowance is $50 a week and not $800 a month. Sorry for the typo.

well... i think if its buying books, be it photography or studies etc, i can understand.

but if its buy concert tickets etc etc and still ask parents money.... *shrugs*
    Buy books?? Some photography books is very expensive. Renting book from library is much more cheaper or no need money. But fool like me wish to have a book collection. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by sense rain View Post
    personally i think, just hang on to the next purchase.. buy when you have the extra cash..
    and spend your time on what is important first...
    i am trying to hang on but sometimes the BBB virus really poisoning. So what i do is not to kept so much money in my wallet except for eating. Sometimes i feel that studying is really important to me and i spent my 1/3 day on it but ended up very stress. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Assist wedding photographer
    Haha, will try to look for that after i got my O level cert. =) thanks for the recommendation.
    no one in their right mind will disagree la...

as to senserain's comment, electrical bills from using the computer for a year, is much lesser than a concert by korean pop stars any day. its a cost benefit approach. my cost is pretty low, and the benefits i get are pretty high. i spend my time looking at documentaries on things like philosophy, religion, science. its way more productive than chasing kpop stars anyday imho and cheaper too.
    But sometimes those things might be boring if your not interested in it. i agree with you that chasing Kpop stars is a waste of times and money,

how do you survive with your 7 dollar a day?? 3 meal?? For me i have to fix my 3 meal a day, but i really get sad because now i only eat 1-2 meal a day. Can't really spent much as my mind set is "if you eat more than bo lui" =(

Why do they love to eat fast food?? i go to fast food restaurant just to stay there and study , all i do is just "1 Dollar coke' =)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMUELS View Post
    Just saying... I'm 17, and every cent I spent on photography is from my own savings.
    I sold all the gear my parents bought me and paid back everything, because I dont think its their responsibility to get me what I want,.

All the cameras and lenses I have is from my own pocket, all from endlessly saving up, investments and taking jobs, not from accepting my parents' money...
    Where do find those place that you can invest your money. i just cant seems to find any that i can trust my money.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345