Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Should i work as part time job a not??

Default Re: Should i work as part time job a not??

Quote Originally Posted by weirdkid View Post
    I think I'll just buy a first hand. Anyone know where's the best place to buy 50mm f/1.8G? I checked the Nikon price list here on CS but they didn't indicate with or without GST. Cos I saw somewhere offering the lens at quite cheap, but in the end it was not inclusive of GST...
    check ddelectronics if u dun mind shop warranty only. if not u can always ask from quotes from the reputable shops to get the latest pricing.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Finished my o levels. Don't intend to work when my dad gives me $2k a month.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    my dad gave me $3K a month allowance... so i used it to buy my A900 and CZ and G glass... right after my O Levels

still got it

TS, I'm taking O levels this year. Study, do it and done it.

I feel that getting good equipment is good, on the other hand expand your portfolio. Maybe spend a couple of thousands setting up your own studio, your own production team, etc..

I know by saying this, many would disagree, but here's what is my path of route I took in order to get into the course I wanted to go and I've succeed.

Now, getting into poly/JC, there's this called Direct Poly Admission. It is based strictly on one's talent and not academic results. Criteria, pass English, Math, and 3 sub below 26 points.

I went for the interview with my portfolio, including pictures of 2 of my studio. And some certs. I did not do very well for mid year tho, 22 points, and preliminary 2, I got 20 points, but it's okay, I just need to score 26 points to enter my desired course, which is 14points.

Hey ts...from I read so far,it seems you are quite confuse about your future. You were at first talking about working to BBB but then when you did work to earn sufficient, you said you unwilling to spend it. Furthermore,you said you bear not to spend your parents money which they gave it to you. If in your heart, you believe that photography is a route you wan to take, you will have no hesitation as you will take the risk and invest in yourself. So by the fact you are unwilling to take commit heavily, I think you are actually having doubts to actually doing photography. In addition, the fact you mention your friend having a better gear and better skills?, I believe you are just trying to outdo him due to peer pressure. So in my humble opinion I would suggest that you take time to figure what you want in your life before making any decisions

I feel that getting good equipment is good, on the other hand expand your portfolio. Maybe spend a couple of thousands setting up your own studio, your own production team, etc..

I know by saying this, many would disagree, but here's what is my path of route I took in order to get into the course I wanted to go and I've succeed.

Now, getting into poly/JC, there's this called Direct Poly Admission. It is based strictly on one's talent and not academic results. Criteria, pass English, Math, and 3 sub below 26 points.

I went for the interview with my portfolio, including pictures of 2 of my studio. And some certs. I did not do very well for mid year tho, 22 points, and preliminary 2, I got 20 points, but it's okay, I just need to score 26 points to enter my desired course, which is 14points.
    So is your dad still getting you your "Intergra Type R with 30K worth of mods"?

Not to worry if not, S$2,000 a month allowance can get you a Chery QQ with more than enough for you to splurge on your other hobbies.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

*mod mode off*

nothing wrong with working towards something you want.

last time i used to do all sorts of (sometimes very stupid) odd jobs just for the extra dollar and all the money went to back to playing around, be it hobby or gaming or learning stuff.

how many of u guys echoed steve jobs' quotes all over twitter and fb and now are telling this kid how to wisely run his life?
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images
    So is your dad still getting you your "Intergra Type R with 30K worth of mods"?

Not to worry if not, S$2,000 a month allowance can get you a Chery QQ with more than enough for you to splurge on your other hobbies.
    A 2.5 WRX after my dad bought one, life would be awesome with turbo running on 1.8 bar boost. Still commented as ah beng when my friend bought a golf..

Work as assistant?

See which area of photography you're interested in. Events, product, wedding, fashion, etc... Go find studios / photogs who tend to do the genre frequently.

It's a steep learning curve. You definitely learn more than doing by trial and error. Also can see how the industry works, how to deal with clients, solve misunderstandings between client-photog, how a studio is run, work culture of the industry, etc

A basic education is necessary, at least 3 O levels to enable u to proceed further in your life and to understand better all the things that
    the real life world offer. Experience can come later as u go along in your life. What do I live for? I live to learn and earn and acquire
    health, wealth and happiness in life.

A 2.5 WRX after my dad bought one, life would be awesome with turbo running on 1.8 bar boost. Still commented as ah beng when my friend bought a golf..
    I think Ah Sia Kia will be a better name.

When you can reach this standard, then you can change the name on your IC to Ah Sia Kia for sure: http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/Owne...09-236489.html
    Last edited by edutilos-; 18th November 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Hi, Odyssey-Boy, i think i know you , you are my brother friends.
    Your parents give you quite a lot of money to buy your hobby things for the DPA i don't know is it applicable for Private candidates and i have no talent in my life, now i am trying to use swimming to get in if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    my dad gave me $3K a month allowance... so i used it to buy my A900 and CZ and G glass... right after my O Levels

still got it
    Your dad treat you so good, give you so much money a month, my only 800 per month. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by iczazache View Post
    Hey ts...from I read so far,it seems you are quite confuse about your future. You were at first talking about working to BBB but then when you did work to earn sufficient, you said you unwilling to spend it. Furthermore,you said you bear not to spend your parents money which they gave it to you. If in your heart, you believe that photography is a route you wan to take, you will have no hesitation as you will take the risk and invest in yourself. So by the fact you are unwilling to take commit heavily, I think you are actually having doubts to actually doing photography. In addition, the fact you mention your friend having a better gear and better skills?, I believe you are just trying to outdo him due to peer pressure. So in my humble opinion I would suggest that you take time to figure what you want in your life before making any decisions
    Hmm, now i finally believe that the person behind the camera make a big difference because i compare the picture of my photo and my friend photo.
    I choose photography as 1 of my hobby because i love to see the wonderful colour of sunset and sunrise photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Telsoon View Post
    Your dad treat you so good, give you so much money a month, my only 800 per month. =(
    Good grief, $800 ONLY.

What is this world coming to, with people complaining about $800/month allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    *mod mode off*

nothing wrong with working towards something you want.

last time i used to do all sorts of (sometimes very stupid) odd jobs just for the extra dollar and all the money went to back to playing around, be it hobby or gaming or learning stuff.

how many of u guys echoed steve jobs' quotes all over twitter and fb and now are telling this kid how to wisely run his life?
    O.o, actually last time i am even foolish than now because i don't even study and flunk my whole exam until one day i wake up.
    I decided to concentrate on my O level 1st before making a big step in my hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Work as assistant?

See which area of photography you're interested in. Events, product, wedding, fashion, etc... Go find studios / photogs who tend to do the genre frequently.

It's a steep learning curve. You definitely learn more than doing by trial and error. Also can see how the industry works, how to deal with clients, solve misunderstandings between client-photog, how a studio is run, work culture of the industry, etc
    O.o, i am only interested in Events, Wedding, Landscape photo. But i scared i screwed the whole event if i take part as a photographer .
    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    A basic education is necessary, at least 3 O levels to enable u to proceed further in your life and to understand better all the things that
    the real life world offer. Experience can come later as u go along in your life. What do I live for? I live to learn and earn and acquire
    health, wealth and happiness in life.
    Okay, i get what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Good grief, $800 ONLY.

What is this world coming to, with people complaining about $800/month allowance.

I think when I was at the TS age (16), my allowance was less than $300/mth and I have to pay for all 3 meals, transportation, school fees/books, everything. And I don't remember complaining about $$$ not enough den..

Times like this, I really feel tat I am getting old....

Good grief, $800 ONLY.

That statement will make me wonder about my future if I marry and have kids...where my kid complain "papa, $800 per month not enough"...

Even for my personal expenses set aside for myself will be way below this amount... (except for months where I buy camera accessories -.-)

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I think when I was at the TS age (16), my allowance was less than $300/mth and I have to pay for all 3 meals, transportation, school fees/books, everything. And I don't remember complaining about $$$ not enough den..

I got it better during then....$100/mth for my recess expenses + occasional lunch expenses. But all things else paid for by parents
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 18th November 2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post

About the same here I guess.. ~$150/month but school fees, transport and books paid for.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 18th November 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    That statement will make me wonder about my future if I marry and have kids...where my kid complain "papa, $800 per month not enough"...
    Just ask them to submit a breakdown of their expenses and justification why $800/month is not enough.

Ok, if the standards of living go that high, then fair enough. For now, I'm squeezing my brains and I can't think of how to finish spending $800 as a student... Well, unless you change handphones every 3 months..

Blog Entries

Same here..

And I think I'm younger than you! I have inflation as a further excuse.
    what the.

i have... 140 a month. not complaining, because its really more than enough.

and i am STILL A STUDENT

my part time job is construction worker. i install toilet bowls and paint walls during my school holidays
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 18th November 2011 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    what the.

i have... 140. T_T and i am STILL A STUDENT

my part time job is construction worker. i install toilet bowls and paint walls during my school holidays
    Sorry, I edited my post, that was at a later stage in life.. Secondary school almost everyday eat dinner at home ma.

Good la, your parents are not spoiling you that way, then you can know the value of everything.

Oscar Wilde: ""Modern man knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

Especially so in Singapore.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast