Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should i work as part time job a not??

Default Re: Should i work as part time job a not??

Perhaps you might want to venture into something free?

I personally find programming small projects to be very interesting and self-fulfilling, I'm not very good but I learn a lot when trying to achieve the goal of my project.

You just need to find your thing.

stoning requires no money... but is very unproductive.

so i turn to day dreaming, writing, and planning phantom projects in my head

By the way, can share the method of how do you guys study for math and science ( pure chemistry and pure physic) ?? Cause i seems to be blur when looking at their math. And mind sharing the method of how you guys analysis those method or definition??

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    stoning requires no money... but is very unproductive.

so i turn to day dreaming, writing, and planning phantom projects in my head
    Stoning ??? what do you mean by that??
    Quote Originally Posted by Canvent View Post
    Perhaps you might want to venture into something free?

I personally find programming small projects to be very interesting and self-fulfilling, I'm not very good but I learn a lot when trying to achieve the goal of my project.

You just need to find your thing.
    yup i would love to go into something free to alleviate my stress. =)

I got an idea. Try getting a job at Courts/Best Denki/Harvey Norman.
    If you're a staff there, maybe got staff discount?

stoning is hard to define

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    stoning is hard to define
    It's a way of putting someone to death.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    It's a way of putting someone to death.
    not that kind of stoning!

Hey if already have an image manipulation software like lightroom you could try shooting raw and doing all the adjustment yourself. You can spend 5 seconds shooting a picture but 10 mins adjusting it. But don't go out and buy software if you don't have it, you already need the money.

I sometimes find the process more enjoyable than shooting the picture itself!

Lols, i think i should not go out so often to take photograph now days, because i just now go buy pure chemistry guide for O level. i see already sian 1/2. T_T
    Maybe i can go out and take photograph with you all next year. =)

Are you taking o level this year??
    And yea i think study is more important now

Quote Originally Posted by lixiang9779 View Post
    Are you taking o level this year??
    And yea i think study is more important now
    i am taking it next year.

Telsoon, borrow your friend's camera and take pics with it. Sometimes it's not the camera, it's the photographer. In any case, at your age, go play sports or something. Don't need to be thinking of spending your money on these tech stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    This is exactly the reason why I say you shouldn't go further with photography and concentrate on your study instead. This is what I saw in one of your post about why you need to upgrade your gear because you see one of your friend is using a Canon gear and yours being Sony Alpha cannot deliver nice pictures. Someone show you what can be done even for a Iphone 4G camera and I see it myself, it is indeed an art.

I said all these is not to embarrass you, but from my standpoint, you are not mature enough to go into such a hobby which is expensive. Go and study, don't even bother to take a part time job to facilitate this hobby, you will only learn things the hard way if you continue to venture this route. When you have develop further and understand what is art, then re-visit this hobby.

Art is not about proving your point or proving that your gear being entry level makes better images than pro cameras. Art is far more than just making photos that others like. It is an expression that you need to understand. Some people learn through the process of trying out. Some end up not appreciating art and make it a competitive process of trying to show off who is better. What's the point ? You are good, someone is better. It's an endless cycle. Before you start, learn how to appreciate yourself and what you can do. You ought to be happy and interested in what you do first, then you will learn something good out of it.

Let me tell you a bit about myself.
    I have always love art since I'm young, but unfortunately somehow no matter how I drew on papers, my art teacher always give me a C. I don't understand why. There are a few students in my class just can draw much better and deliver like an artist. If I am like you just keep on wanna compete, I will end up being a loser because I totally defeat the purpose of why I like art in the first place. But of course, given I have lack of talent in art, I can't possibly be better than him no matter how hard I try.

On the other hand, photography though largely on art, also consist of heavy monetary investment that is not art related. I don't hope to see that you go into the wrong route and end up in debts or face any financial problems in your future. Or perhaps you decided to go astray just to facilitate your so called "photography".

For me, I have chosen technologies as my studies, career and also my hobby. In your growing stage, your preferences will change as you grow and expose to more stuffs in the future. What I am telling you now is just suspend what you think is the best for you and try something else instead. When you found something you like and you can make a living out of it, you will enjoy the process more and reap more from it.

Now that I are doing sufficiently well in my career, I have the purchasing power to re-visit art which is also giving me a channel to express my notion of art. Moreover now that photography has gone digital, it becomes more coherent with what I do for life.

Do yourself a favor. Go and re-think what you need in life and what you want to achieve in life. Photography doesn't has to be your first choice. If you really like it so much, revisit it when you grow up and understand more.

Meanwhile concentrate on your studies and get good results so that you can aim further in your life. The society is very harsh and demanding on your qualification. If you don't have a good cert, you probably can't go further or at least makes it a lot harder. If not, why do you think so many parents invested so much of their time and money into their children's education ? Education is everything, cert is not everything, but having a cert is like a ticket to give you that extra push so that your starting point is in front of others. That doesn't' mean you don't need to work hard. Heard of the "The tortoise and the Hare" story ?

All the best to you.
    He has been seriously affected by BBB.

TS, listen to the more experienced (i dun mean old, i said more experienced) bros' advice.. you can catch up with your photography later, and trust me, i've seen people take nice photos with A290 and kit lens. Not a fan boy, but sony does make pretty good cameras. I think Pentax and Nikon shares the same sensors..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

And some one wise once said

" I undervalue the things that I possess, just because I possess them, and attach a higher value to things that are not mine, but belong to another and are beyond my reach. This habit of mind is very widespread "

Applies to lots of potentially expensive hobbies.

How old are you now? I started p/t in a local hotel as a waiter @ 15, worked 30hrs straight @ times, banquet, cafe, restaurant, room service. Never took a cent from parents for few years. That was more than 20yrs ago & they pay $4+/- hr but tips were good. Just don't pick up bad habits & choose your friends wisely.

Look @ more pics & study how people do it then apply. U should worry about equipment later. Besides, probably 80% of good pics are post-edited with software.
    Last edited by NineEleven; 24th October 2011 at 04:31 PM.
    "Like Moths, photographers gather at the sight of light" Robert Doisneau
    My Little Port

It depends on your family financial status. If yr parents can support your studies and living expenses, then concentrate on studies.

Though working PT brings experience and all that, but u may pick up bad habits with wrong friends.

So it's not worth it, unless yr family had poor financial status. Then no choice. Got to work to support parents and studies.

It also depends on your personal integrity and clear mind. U might be strong and not get into bad habits despite your friends are aol doing it. Example myself; all my friends smoke and drink and gamble, but I don't. And I'm still able to be close to them.

Don't mix work with photography. I see them as 2 diff issues. To improve photography, u have to mix around with seasoned photographers and learn. Get those photography mag and books and read them. Don't understand, ask ppl. U don't have to buy. Borrow from library. FOC.

Equipment is always secondary. Skills are primary. Good skills dominates equipment. Dont be envy with ppl who have cameras that are $1k more than yours. naturally their cameras should be better than yours. But your camera can take as good pictures as theirs.

Be creative in your photo taking.

Work on your theories of photography. Be strong in your technical knowledge. Knowledge is power. Equipments will come and go. But knowledge will stay with you forever.

Just go with your heart, as long as there is no regret.
    There is no such thing as right or wrong in life.
    Go earn your own hard earn money to buy what u think u desire.
    When it come to hobby, there is no rules !
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

My family financial is fine. I think i ought to concentrate on my study rather than working as PT for my allowance to spend. I might be getting a 50mm f1.8 for my prom night because i miss a lot of nice photo during graduation assembly and i felt terrible after that because i see my friend taking picture with teachers and all that and i dont because i dont want borrow camera from my friend. I cant use my phone either because the camera is super jialat and the phone was like half a decades a go already. =(

u should just rent the equipments.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast