Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What does ft means

  1. #1

    Default What does ft means

    Hello(: I've got a new lens recently (18-200mm) however , I do not know what's the function of this particular part of the lens that has the word ' ft ' beside it. It ranges from 0.5 to infinity. Is it some focusing thing?

  2. #2
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: What does ft means

    That's the focusing distance scale. You should also find 'm' beside 'ft'.

    Btw, welcome to ClubSNAP.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What does ft means

    It is an abbreviation for "feet". It's a measure of distance. Lots for you to read up on online.
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default

    Thank you(:
    I tried to find online though. Anyway, is it only useable for manual focus ?(:

  5. #5
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What does ft means

    foreign talent?

    just jk. as mentioned by the rest... it is indeed feet

  6. #6
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: What does ft means

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkdots View Post
    Thank you(:
    I tried to find online though. Anyway, is it only useable for manual focus ?(:
    It is usable for both auto focus (AF) and manual focus (MF). Basically what it does is simply to give you feed back of how far the subject is (in ft and m) that you're focusing on. This is useful if you want to calculate DOF (depth of field) or use hyperfocusing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: What does ft means

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    It is usable for both auto focus (AF) and manual focus (MF). Basically what it does is simply to give you feed back of how far the subject is (in ft and m) that you're focusing on. This is useful if you want to calculate DOF (depth of field) or use hyperfocusing.
    And also if you're using those manual flash, distance is used to calculate the aperture setting
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  8. #8
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: What does ft means

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    And also if you're using those manual flash, distance is used to calculate the aperture setting
    Yup that's right. Otherwise for TS, she can just ignore this scale if not using it.

  9. #9
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: What does ft means

    Reading all these makes me sweat..
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  10. #10
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What does ft means

    you can consult bonrya about feet. she is an expert on it

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •