Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: photographer beaten up by 5 guys

I will become a late photographer if the angry man I'm photographing decides to attack me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    This is an interesting thread.

We have to analyse how those famous photographer like Henri Cartier etc able to go to the streets, get those nice shots without being "hammered". Of course, the culture in the west and here is different and there are chances that the locals do not like to be photographed. Some tips here:
    you never read about him much i must say. his been chased away with booms and other stuff...

bless his soul!

Juz practice good common sense, tat can save yourself and the police trouble. Imagine those officers grumbling bout report writing. lol.

One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    I will become a late photographer if the angry man I'm photographing decides to attack me.
    its better late than never...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

There're lots of bengs and lians in paradiz/peace centre area. I guess it is just an isolated incident.

Well, no doubt that the late Henri Cartier will once in a while get chased away, but I have not read a single news about him being "hammered" and got injured seriously. Have you? Pardon me if I missed the news.

At least, he survived long enough to see the world. We have to learn a trick or two from this grand master. Which means, we have to ask ourselves why we are being spotted and scolded in the first place?

Somehow, there is something unique about the Leica M series that is silent enough to capture most action without being noticed, hence I dubbed it the "silent killer".

Quote Originally Posted by photogene
    There're lots of bengs and lians in paradiz/peace centre area. I guess it is just an isolated incident.
    Yesterday, I went late for my supper (around 11 plus) in Bedok Interchange food stall. Saw a Chao-ahbeng ya-ya-papaya shouting and acting very gangho in front of a stall where he purchase his food.
    Damn unlucky man, that Chao-ahbeng (his face look like a monkey) sit in front of me and he use his eyes to stare at me (like going to pick up a fight like that). I just ignored him and continue with my food.
    Damn pissed off by those useless freaks!

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    Let me remember 1 incident this year.My dad ask my mum for money,(to drink,gamble etc...),i ask my mum don't give then he angry.
    middle of the night 2am take out chopper and sand it sharp,purposely do loud loud think we scare.
    So what i do is immediately call police.

Me:hello,police.
    Police:yes?
    Me: i want to report my father sanding chopper very noisy,it may endanger my mum and my life,we also need to sleep as very noisy,tomorrow need to work.
    Police: So you want us to do what?
    Me: (thinking my dad was already intoxicated) bring him to lockup for tonight.(This is also not the 1st time)
    police: sorry,he never don't anything to you all,we can't lock him up.

I fed up so hang up,the 1st time they lock him up base on grounds that he drunk and pose threat to us,don't understand why they can't do it again.
    USELESS! hate them to the core
    Bro, I think u're prolly mistakened about it.

Much as the boys in blue are supposed to maintain law and order, u can't have the cops detain your dad simply because "you feel that" he is a threat to both u and ur mother.

Ever heard of the term 'unlawful detention'? This legal charge can also be applied to the police themselves if they detain someone without basis of evidence.

In your case, you could take out a PPO (Personal Protection Order) from the subordinate courts for ur Mum and your personal protection. Any violation of the order and your dad will be in the lockup (NOT jail. I repeat, NOT JAIL).

May peace reign in ur family. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6
    Hmm.. wat a wanderful scene to do!!!
    but then.. we got to be polite a bit first to the person/ppl talkin to us,
    then if they still nasty, well.. we got "equipments" to wack them!!!!!!!! last resort!
    so have a few handy things like flash, strong tripod/monopod, a small jack knife and one last thing, maybe we should get a buzzer alarm just in case we are being attack, we ON it to attract attention, Gd idea rite!!!
    Whilst I'm not really into street photography (I prefer the broad sweeping landscapes and wildlife den human beings), got a piece of advice here:

1) When confronted by someone really pissed, have the basic courtesty to apologise and explain what u're doing if he wants to hear ur explaination.
    2) Delete the specific photo (the joys of digital technology). Its better to lose 1 photo or 1 roll of negatives den to lose ur life or equipment.
    3) Always eat the humble pie. Apology shld be on ur lips.
    4) If the person is really looking for trouble, perhaps he might be taking advantage of ur physically small size, look back at him and of cos, close up ur tripod and grip it. Keep quiet, do not retort to his mindless barking. Chances are, the barking dog will whimper and den slunk away.
    5) If all else fails, and u're being pushed up the wall or even threatened with bodily harm, spare no chances, break his family jewels, smash his nose and break his jaw (all shld be done easily if u're a guy) and run.

Put step 5 as the last resort for u can never know the background of the guy. Perhaps he's juz dissed about work that day, perhaps he's juz being retrenched out of work and bad in mood, perhaps he's going to be the bridegroom and going on to a happy family next day but he's got a real attitude problem especially after he drinks.

The thing about fighting back is that, it leaves a stigma on u, a guilty feeling that u'd actually struck a person who is probably lying in ICU 30mins after u'd hit him hard.

Quote Originally Posted by zerofour
    Wah after reading this thread i think the most dangerous job is photographing....
    yeah.. photography sibei dangerous... try something less dangerous.. like joining the bomb squad..

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    Its a normal place in the mornings but at night quite a few bengs go there to play pool.

Haha.So that would make me a rarity there since I do not dress loudly, talk loudly and cannot even converse with the cashier for nuts..All because the billiards is cheap and I'm too lazy to find a better place.There are lotsa bengs, and a few fellas like me who simply stick out like a sore thumb because we simply ain't them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    This is an interesting thread.

We have to analyse how those famous photographer like Henri Cartier etc able to go to the streets, get those nice shots without being "hammered". Of course, the culture in the west and here is different and there are chances that the locals do not like to be photographed. Some tips here:

PLEASE:
    (1) Do not use a huge 80-200mm f2.8 lense and go round "revealing yourself" and shooting the people on the street. That lense is too loud!
    (2) Do not go too near the person and end up shooting his nostrils!!!!
    (3) Sometimes, you have to be thick skinned. If you are being waved at by an angry man, just smile and walk away.
    (4) Try to equip yourself with a wide angle lenses (17-35mm good good), and learnt to shoot without looking through the view finder. Some of the best shots are achieved this way.
    (5) Do not make yourself too obvious by standing at a location for too long, especially if you do decide to use that big bazooka lens
    (6) For those who went through army, you should know what is cover and concealment. hahahaha.
    (7) For me, I do not look local, hence I can easily be passed off as a tourist, especially my hawaii clothes and football jerseys.

some food for thoughts here.

Regarding point 7, just wear a floppy jungle hat.Sometimes I go street shooting in tees/berms , sneakers and a huge jungle floppy hat.If you can, wear a really offensive t-shirt which might mark you out as one of the tourists, or at worse if you're Chinese, ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Regarding point 7, just wear a floppy jungle hat.Sometimes I go street shooting in tees/berms , sneakers and a huge jungle floppy hat.If you can, wear a really offensive t-shirt which might mark you out as one of the tourists, or at worse if you're Chinese, ABC.
    chinese have to follow the heritage... comb a nice simple middle or side parting hairstyle, button your shirt all the way up, talk in an accent you dun even understand... passing off as a PRC tourist...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I agree on this part here.

However, it could be more diplomatic to show the bugger the photo and offered to email to them when you are back...

Unlike the days of film, where it cost S$0.20 per print and stamp & envelope to send those photo...

Yeah, I will send a 640 x 480 version instead of the 6.3MP, to save some upload time.

Who knows, if the model is cute and jio-able, can invite her to our next outing....

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    no one have the rights to stop ppl from shooting in open area, would they beat up tourist who shoot outside peace centre? if someone come and tell me that they would beat me up if i take picture, i would just tell them that i have taken a picture of them, or will take a picture of them, and ask them to kindly follow me to the nearest police station for threats and harass. and they would need to gurantee my safety for the next few days or weeks if i ever get beaten up, they really gonna get it...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatfish
    Thats one more reason to get a good strong and sturdy tripod.
    A mono pod could be more responsive and extend to a long and hard pole easily......

sling it across the back like some swordsman, to be drawn on sight of threats......

right hand hold my 300D and left hand hold my "sword"

Oh oh, for added drama, add a fierce looking ball head PLUS the tip....add a glowing blue / red / green calim stick - to show it's power......

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    A mono pod could be more responsive and extend to a long and hard pole easily......

sling it across the back like some swordsman, to be drawn on sight of threats......

right hand hold my 300D and left hand hold my "sword"

Oh oh, for added drama, add a fierce looking ball head PLUS the tip....add a glowing blue / red / green calim stick - to show it's power......
    hmm mayb should dye the hair grey or white, den wear a cloak, attach a lightstick on the monopod & you have become gandalf...

yes it doesnt break the law if u take photo but there are a few situations when ppl dun like u to take them... below r some of them

guy intimating with gf
    ah beng selling p* things or ***** things
    girls that "zao geng" (means exposed)
    if u look like "dog team" "Gou Zai Dui" also dun take

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    I agree on this part here.

However, it could be more diplomatic to show the bugger the photo and offered to email to them when you are back...

Unlike the days of film, where it cost S$0.20 per print and stamp & envelope to send those photo...

Yeah, I will send a 640 x 480 version instead of the 6.3MP, to save some upload time.

Who knows, if the model is cute and jio-able, can invite her to our next outing....
    hmm those who most likely to come asking for trouble would be those whom not in category of cute & jio-able... most likely before i even show them the photo, they might already start to hurl vulgarities or their fist is starting to swing... sometimes when they wanna start a fight or something, they just can't stop unless they see blood or police, just to save their face.

....and shout.... YOU SHALL NOT PASS

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hmm mayb should dye the hair grey or white, den wear a cloak, attach a lightstick on the monopod & you have become gandalf...

this is really CRAP!...peace centre area, i think, is full of unknown gangsters...i think that's y the poor photog got beaten up...it's a place where the young and restless prowl ... those PUNKS!
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast