Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: photographer beaten up by 5 guys

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    no one have the rights to stop ppl from shooting in open area, would they beat up tourist who shoot outside peace centre? if someone come and tell me that they would beat me up if i take picture, i would just tell them that i have taken a picture of them, or will take a picture of them, and ask them to kindly follow me to the nearest police station for threats and harass. and they would need to gurantee my safety for the next few days or weeks if i ever get beaten up, they really gonna get it...
    I had an encounter at the Joo Chiat area once. I was confronted by a beng for shooting outside a shop. (Not shooting at the shop.) First I ignored him and decided to walk away. He started to get aggresive and abusive, by then my temper was starting to rise. I then took out my tripod and swung it across my shoulder and told him to **** off. Surprisingly he did. When I turned to leave. I noticed two indian workers trying to flank me. They backed off when I was visibly getting aggresive to protect myself. My tripod was at least three times bigger then the metal pipes they were holding.

I couldn't have prevented the situation simply because it was a straight forward bulling case. Now I never shoot at dodgy places with my tripod.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bernardsia
    I had an encounter at the Joo Chiat area once. I was confronted by a beng for shooting outside a shop. (Not shooting at the shop.) First I ignored him and decided to walk away. He started to get aggresive and abusive, by then my temper was starting to rise. I then took out my tripod and swung it across my shoulder and told him to **** off. Surprisingly he did. When I turned to leave. I noticed two indian workers trying to flank me. They backed off when I was visibly getting aggresive to protect myself. My tripod was at least three times bigger then the metal pipes they were holding.

I couldn't have prevented the situation simply because it was a straight forward bulling case. Now I never shoot at dodgy places with my tripod.
    without your tripod.

Thats one more reason to get a good strong and sturdy tripod.

One thing I advise is to be careful where you point your lens.

Many years ago I set up my tripods in King Cross the famed red light/strip tease/drug district in Sydney wanting to capture the main street in dusk with its busy traffic. Someone came and went of his head threatening me that my camera would be smashed if I didn't move. I think he was probably a drug pusher who thought I set up my camera for surveillance or something. Wisely I moved on.

After September 11, even the authority is a bit jumpy about suspicious activities and paranoid about security. If you linger a bit longer in a "sensitive" public installation or utility with a camera here, I wouldn't be surprised to find a security guard come and ask you some questions.

Too many people seem to think that with a camera in his hand, he has total freedom to shoot anything and anyone in anywhere. More and more people seem to be demanding privacy to be protected legally or with fists.

Well I guess there are still sunset and flowers and insects for us to shoot?
    Last edited by Sion; 29th October 2004 at 09:21 PM.

Of all places peace center?? There's some dodgy businesses going on around that area... they thought you could be some private investigator heheh... I doubt they will do anything if you would use some disposable camera with a oversized straw hat and floral shirt on

Believe him when he said that with his tripod over his shoulder man Knowing Bernard, that guy was lucky the tripod did not land on his face

I think I will forget the idea of getting the carbon fibre tripod and stick to those metal ones

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    my advice is to use your common sense and err on the side of caution at all times. if ever in such situation, do not use it to test your (legal) rights or the efficiency of the police.
    Hey, if you're a taekwondo blackie 3rd dan, by all means challenge the 5 chaps. otherwise better run like one of the 36 way out.

When I do shoot street pic, I try to do it as discreetly as possible, with minimal gear, smallish bag and very plain attire as much as no one notice me doing it. Also, shoot fast and more on. I shoot as if I am adjusting my cam or checking my cam rather than look like shooting as if you're the event photog.

Quote Originally Posted by chisiang
    Believe him when he said that with his tripod over his shoulder man Knowing Bernard, that guy was lucky the tripod did not land on his face

I think I will forget the idea of getting the carbon fibre tripod and stick to those metal ones
    I am sure you would do the same with your 70-200 VR. I suggest people don't buy any used gear from us.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    without your tripod.
    For that matter, a monopod is a much better weapon for self defence, being made like a stick, not that heavy and can be extended at will. And I prefer the Alu alloy kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    For that matter, a monopod is a much better weapon for self defence, being made like a stick, not that heavy and can be extended at will. And I prefer the Alu alloy kind.

sometimes size does matter - in this case we're looking at a one-hit KO instead of a multiple hit thingy.

looks like i got to bring out my monopod when i go for street shooting next time.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    ...outside Peace Centre, according to a gentleman who works in the area. I was taking photos outside Peace Centre today when he and he friend waved me over and told me not to photograph people on the street, lest i be beaten up as well, or arrested for suspicious behaviour. his advice: ask for permission b4 shooting. anyone else had similar experience?

mm... was it Paradiz center or peace center? Paradiz center..outside McD always have suspicious characters hanging out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes
    mm... was it Paradiz center or peace center? Paradiz center..outside McD always have suspicious characters hanging out there.
    peace centre....but paradiz centre is nearby.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    sometimes size does matter - in this case we're looking at a one-hit KO instead of a multiple hit thingy.
    If you miss on the upswing at full force you're gonna need some muscle to reverse the swing quickly though.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

With such sketchy details given, I think it's best not to speculate what happened. For all you know, the supposed photographer who got bashed offhad done something silly or intrude the privacy of some people unnecessarily.

I've seen some amateur photogs taking pics of sleeping people in the streets and on benches. I don't know for what! To get their adrenaline flowing unnecessarily? To me, this kind of act is just asking for trouble and unless it's safe and there's a story to tell,, I can't figure their motives. It will soon become a bolder habit and these street photogs will take pictures without common sense that really offend someone. Hence the threat to get beaten up.

As for aggression, it never pays. Don't matter what black belt you have. Or whatever ridicuolously huge and heavy tripod you are carrying.

You can easily be hurt or even killed if weapons are involved and especially when they come in numbers against you. Just move away, apologize if necessary and be wiser next time.

maybe he was trying to take photos of the ppl selling some things...u know....

get beaten up by 5 guys seems bad.... photog muz have good stamina ...to run away...

otherwise if in a mood to...juz fight back lo...there are some unarmed combat techniques tt can quickly put an opponent out of battle....

1 against 5 most impt is to get 2 down in the first few moments....scare the other 3...

anyone wanna learn??? ahaha

ok...tt's madness....best thing is if anything happen juz run like there's no tomorrow..

Yep, that area is rather notorious especially in the evenings. I used to work in that area. I think photographers should practise some common sense and do some observation first before taking any pictures wherever you go. Look out for telltale signs of potential trouble and avoid any chance of confrontation if possible. I think it is stupid to fight unless you can't avoid it. If you really must go to such places to shoot, organise a CS outing. If the perpetrators are not intimated by the sheer size of the group (50 or more recommended), you have a good chance of blinding them with all your flashes synched to go off together while you make your escape!

p.s: Just kidding about the CS outing.
    Last edited by Newman; 30th October 2004 at 03:42 AM.

Default Prismatic's guide to self-defense against bengs, hobos, market surveyors

1. Carry a monopod all the time.
    2. No carbon-fibre ones, they shatter on impact.
    3. Wear comfortable running shoes, so you can leg it quickly when trouble develops.
    4. Have a flash handy, flash into your potential attacker's face to blind him/her!
    (Especially useful at night!!!Remember to close your eyes when you flash)
    5. Have an aerosol spray handy, repeat as above!
    6. Place the police on a quick-dial button on your hp.
    7. Avoid easy-to-ambush places like quiet parks, alleys, tunnels etc etc. unless of photographic interest.^^

But seriously, back while I was Taipei, I was stopped by a drunk hobo at knife-pointin He Ping Park (Peace Park coincidentally). He was kind of intoxicated, cause he was holding the knife the wrong way. So I gave him a kick in the shin, swung my 190ProB at his hands and then quickly legged it.
    He was so drunk that after he fell, he just slept on the floor and didn't bother to come after me.
    (Not recommended action for most people. When being mugged, it's usually better to just give the guy what he wants.)

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    He was kind of intoxicated, cause he was holding the knife the wrong way.
    May be he wanted to pass u a knife for you to slash him

Quote Originally Posted by reactan
    you're should know that in this system of ours, the police/judicary will not do anything to protect you should you get beaten up in the street. you need to file a complaint yourself, and hire a lawyer to prosecute should you want to press criminal charges. the public prosecutor will not do anything
    kinda agree with you... the police in singapore just simply bo chup... as indicated by my lawyer & the response from the things they did, when harass they tell me change number, dun bother, when beaten up, simply dun even bother to write my statement due to fact its one of their ppl... so if anything, just get your lawyer to accompany you lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast