Thread: Sony svc

Default Sony svc

Does anyone have any bad experience with them?

For my case, I've this Sony VAIO laptop that I sent in for servicing. It's still under warranty but keeps on shutting down by itself while using (like DPP, CS5, AoE3). Even opening n buffeting multiple pages in Youtube causes that. Basically, once it get above 2.5GB RAM, it becomes unstable (total 6GB).

For the 1st 5 (five) times of sending in, they said they replaced this n that (motherboard 2x, fan, RAM, SSD, pretty much all) but still keeps on shutting down without any warning! So I sent in for the 6th time, asking for a replacement set. Then they said they can't find anything wrong with it n that they no longer carry my current model, so they cannot give me a replacement set n all the BS!!

Has anyone had such experience like me?
    Life is full of partings - snapshot them while you can & cherish them!

Default Re: Sony svc

I have never encountered this problem, but it looks like an overheat issue where the laptop shutdown due to unable to cool down faster enough. Perhaps you would like to take note of the CPU temperature while doing so ? Could be a sensor issue that prematurely activate it ?

Quote Originally Posted by larlarloo View Post
    Does anyone have any bad experience with them?

For my case, I've this Sony VAIO laptop that I sent in for servicing. It's still under warranty but keeps on shutting down by itself while using (like DPP, CS5, AoE3). Even opening n buffeting multiple pages in Youtube causes that. Basically, once it get above 2.5GB RAM, it becomes unstable (total 6GB).

For the 1st 5 (five) times of sending in, they said they replaced this n that (motherboard 2x, fan, RAM, SSD, pretty much all) but still keeps on shutting down without any warning! So I sent in for the 6th time, asking for a replacement set. Then they said they can't find anything wrong with it n that they no longer carry my current model, so they cannot give me a replacement set n all the BS!!

Has anyone had such experience like me?
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I don't know if it's the temperature but I so use a cooling fan below tho. How to check temp?

The crazy thing is the Sony ppl say "Everything is working normal n we do not experience such thing at our svc ctr here..."

so far from what i've seen online... their service is quite good. what are your operating conditions?

I don't know if it's the temperature but I so use a cooling fan below tho. How to check temp?

The crazy thing is the Sony ppl say "Everything is working normal n we do not experience such thing at our svc ctr here..."
    Try using this Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

For line about "we do not experience ..." is model answer. You go to which manufacturer service centre, they will always say that. It's not in their interest to ensure their product is 100% error free unless it's blatant enough and wide-spread enough to cause awareness and will tarnish their reputation.

Sad to say, as a user, you often need to have compelling evidence to state your concern. If you can shows that for some weird reason that your CPU always constantly spike into a high temperature and causes the shutdown, or you can replicate the problem right in front of their face. Then they will take work into it, because then you have evidence to make them look really bad and stupid.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I did email to them (last time) before of a video clip taken with my iPhone, showing it to auto-blackout while using. On the same screen, I opened Task Manager with Performance section showing graphs at abt 3GB RAM n 80-100% of 4 cores running. Yet they say they can't replicate it... X-(

My operating conditions are non-aircon normal HDB with a cooling fan below. I nromally surf net (multiple multiple tabs) but sometimes do PP with it using CS5 or DPP. Also uses it to play "Age of Empires 3".

The fan speed will get to the max (or at least sounds like it) before going auto-off!

I mean if I bought a display set or an item on mega-discount, then I won't make much noise but this lapy is far from it... Either way, they still have to honour their brand!

@larlarloo: what's the VAIO model that you're using? it might help us who are reading this thread to identify whether it's a known issue?

i have a feeling it might be an overheating issue.

My VAIO is a Z 136 series. It has been replaced by the latest S(?) series, which is the thin n lightweight yet high performance... yeah right!

I think specs are i5 570, 2.4GHz to 3something speed boost, with 6GB RAM.

Anyone have similar issues with this lousy model?

i doubt it's a widespread issue... before condemning all the same notebooks. lest you make yourself look like a fool.

what is true for one doesn't mean it's true for all. Fallacy of Composition

I have a Vaio Z too, it's rock solid.

Based on your description, it's almost definitely a CPU overheating issue. It could be that the heatsink is not attached properly. Use the software linked above to get a reading on the CPU temp before it shuts down again.

FYI, computers have a built-in overheat protection - they will shut down if the heat gets too high.
    Alpha

Yeah I understand it's no use grumbling about it but I'm just frustrated at how the Sony svc ppl are unable to rectify it...

Anyone have similar issues with this lousy model?
    click on start> run >and type eventvwr

check the log.
    Objection !!!