Thread: wide angle lens or flash for hong kong trip

Talking wide angle lens or flash for hong kong trip

Hi brother and sister new here got a D7000 using 18-105 lens and a sigma 70-300 lens . I am thinking of getting another lens but was thinking of getting the flash light but low budget .Which one is more useful ? Is it necessary to bring along the tripod ? I read some where that we are not allow to bring the tripod into disney land ? Is it true ? Please advice .Thanks ..

I did saw people bring tripod in. Yr kits lens will do. Get myself a sb 700
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Sb700 I think around 500+ rite is there anything lower but almost the same quality.

Default Re: wide angle lens or flash for hong kong trip

I guess it all depends on where you are going and what you are intending to capture? 18mm on a D7000 is decently wide enough. Saw people bringing tripod into disneyland. Probably be useful if you want to capture fireworks. But other than that, it will be another piece of equipment to lug around.
    Nikon got SB400, but think you are better off with the SB700 bah. Perhaps you can consider buying your camera stuff in HK? Its normally cheaper there.

Quote Originally Posted by soops View Post
    Hi brother and sister new here got a D7000 using 18-105 lens and a sigma 70-300 lens . I am thinking of getting another lens but was thinking of getting the flash light but low budget .Which one is more useful ? Is it necessary to bring along the tripod ? I read some where that we are not allow to bring the tripod into disney land ? Is it true ? Please advice .Thanks ..
    you are definitely able to bring your tripod in to disneyland, however when shooting the fireworks you will not be able to extend your tripod at the front row, the staff will ask you to set up at the back...

should you need a lens, i would advise that you get a f/2.8 lens as a upgrade or replacement to your current gears. get a flash if you are constraint by budget, get only the best lens money can buy, after all the image quality is determined by the lens...

Quote Originally Posted by soops View Post
    For what do you intend to use the flash? For the typical sightseeing, walking around etc. it's useless, here the tripod comes in more handy, especially in the evening (sunset, evening mood). Secondly, if you are not familiar with flash then better skip it, it's more than 'plug & flash'. For the usual snapshots of family in front of scenery the onboard flash and some higher ISO can do the job. Focus on what you have and what you know how to handle.
    EOS

from my photography trip to hk last month, what you have is quite enough. i wouldnt think you need the 70-300mm.

D7000 has good noise control, just raise iso at night. its very bright in city even at night. tripod is a must have if you planning to do long exposure from Victoria peak or star avenue.

nikon lens is cheap in hk, i bought from mong kok shops, check out the buying guide in cs. 15%-30% cheaper in lens depending on model, not all things nikon are cheaper. international warranty for nikon lens only so no reason not to buy from hk. even tamron, sigma and other 3rd-parties are cheaper.

if you are going with family, i assume since you going to disneyland, dun bother too much as you would probably end up with mostly family and street shots. they would not likely be waiting around while you set up tripod and test your long exposure. if going with kids, bear in mind that public toilet, tho many, may not be at every spot around very corner. only very new or huge malls have public toilet. so you would be spending most of the time taking care of family members than shooting.
    Last edited by Alan Chan; 14th October 2011 at 02:38 PM.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Wow thanks everyone for All the advice.