Thread: Focusing Screen advice..

A-hah~! Finally had the guts to post this up.. Considering I'm still a noob, was afraid people might bash me for wanting to "mod" my DSLR so fast.. :P

Well, I realised I fell in love with manual lenses, as somehow it gives me the feeling of "syiok-ness", and a pseudo "pro" feeling in confirmation of a sharp picture, when I get one, and also the complete control of it.

But prob is, it may be too slow for quick, candid shots, and the 3 sec pose of friends. So am thinking of getting a focusing screen in replace of my K-r's original one. I've read up on issues of "black out" when in small apertures or something like that, if I were to use those split focus screen..

On top of that, there seems to be a myriad of designs, microprism/diagonals/horizontals, and suppliers, KatzEye.. Kinda giving me a headache.. Haha!

So, anyone has any recommendation of which one to get?

PS: Ooh, I kinda like the diagonal ones better, or the 4-section ones..
    Last edited by SyncGuy; 13th October 2011 at 12:44 PM.
    Pentax Kr, Pentax Super A
    K105/2.8, Fa*24/2, A28/2, A35/2, A50/1.4, A*85/1.4, A100/2.8, A135/2.8

Default Re: Focusing Screen advice..

well i'm no pro, but since you already mentioned you liked the diagonal ones better, i guess you have sort of answered your own question already?

Better to check in the Pentax Sub-forum since you are using a Kr.

I have a K3 screen from 'Focusing Screen' (ie. the brand). Its about $120.
    There are others online or even from Orient Photo.

You may need to use the shims provided by the focusing screen to get correct alignment between screen and focus plane.
    Split prism area gets dark only if the aperture stops down when you adjust it (eg. M42 mount lenses; Takumars). If you are using lenses that have the aperture lever (ie. L, M, A, FA, DA) series lenses, then its a non-issue.

Hi ts, u r right. I love manual lens also.. Bcos u get more involved..

Manual lens are amazing piece of engineering thing.

Try liveview?

Else consult anthony

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    You may need to use the shims provided by the focusing screen to get correct alignment between screen and focus plane.
    Split prism area gets dark only if the aperture stops down when you adjust it (eg. M42 mount lenses; Takumars). If you are using lenses that have the aperture lever (ie. L, M, A, FA, DA) series lenses, then its a non-issue.
    Hmm... thanks for helping to clarify this concern of mine. So basically all lenses with aperture lever face no issue of this right?
    But quite confusing as you said, "split prism area gets dark only if the aprture stops down when you adjust it.." Lenses with aperture levers also gets adjusted, then how? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    Hi ts, u r right. I love manual lens also.. Bcos u get more involved..

Manual lens are amazing piece of engineering thing.

Try liveview?

Else consult anthony
    Hey, i have tried Liveview, but you should know, not syiok what... Eye must mash deep, deep into the VF to see and then shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by SyncGuy View Post
    Hmm... thanks for helping to clarify this concern of mine. So basically all lenses with aperture lever face no issue of this right?
    But quite confusing as you said, "split prism area gets dark only if the aprture stops down when you adjust it.." Lenses with aperture levers also gets adjusted, then how? LOL!
    Lenses with aperture levers stay open even if you stop down the aperture ring. They only close momentarily when you release the shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Lenses with aperture levers stay open even if you stop down the aperture ring. They only close momentarily when you release the shutter.

Ah~! I get it! Basically any lenses that has that small lever jutting out, where you can manually use your hands to move it, will have no "blackout" issues right?!

Another thing, what is this "bracket metering" thingy? I understand it is a function that the camera has for multiple shots with different preset EV right? i.e. -2,0,2..
    On KatzEye, i have an option to have this "bracket metering" thingy. If i don't select, what happens? I won't be able to utilise this function on my camera?

You can save your questions for the Pentax outing this weekend. Much easier to communicate face-to-face. The guys will be more then willing to explain/let you try out their gear. Just ask them beforehand.

BTW, I'm using the cheap $30 China split-screen. Gets dirty easily, but gets the job done.
    Last edited by Baracus; 13th October 2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    You can save your questions for the Pentax outing this weekend. Much easier to communicate face-to-face. The guys will be more then willing to explain/let you try out their gear. Just ask them beforehand.

BTW, I'm using the cheap $30 China split-screen. Gets dirty easily, but gets the job done.
    NaiSe~!

Ok! 2 more days! So the cannot wait.... Coz i also dunno what to shoot.. LOL!

Oh well, learn, learn, learn... Shoot, shoot, shoot....

It's kinda confusing unless you know what the screens are for, and what range of lenses they are designed for.

To give you an example (most of the pro systems would feature anything from 10-14 different types of screens):

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...eens/index.htm

Look at the description of the screen and what it does, rather that just the 'cosmetics' of the screen.

Then look at what's available for your camera and match your needs and lenses with the photographic conditions you face.

Sometimes, you might need several different screens for different purposes/lenses.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by SyncGuy View Post
    A-hah~! Finally had the guts to post this up.. Considering I'm still a noob, was afraid people might bash me for wanting to "mod" my DSLR so fast.. :P

Well, I realised I fell in love with manual lenses, as somehow it gives me the feeling of "syiok-ness", and a pseudo "pro" feeling in confirmation of a sharp picture, when I get one, and also the complete control of it.

But prob is, it may be too slow for quick, candid shots, and the 3 sec pose of friends. So am thinking of getting a focusing screen in replace of my K-r's original one. I've read up on issues of "black out" when in small apertures or something like that, if I were to use those split focus screen..

On top of that, there seems to be a myriad of designs, microprism/diagonals/horizontals, and suppliers, KatzEye.. Kinda giving me a headache.. Haha!

So, anyone has any recommendation of which one to get?

PS: Ooh, I kinda like the diagonal ones better, or the 4-section ones..

Sorry to dig up old thread but I have finally got my Kr fitted with an S-screen..

Holy cow~ Damn zun man.. And I can literally see the DoF "traveling" as I focus..

Subjects within my frame literally "pops" in and out of focus..

Spot on focus so far my f/1.4 lenses, including my AF lens.. Happy2... LoL!

And no, no darkening or whatever crap if you do google it up.. Unless of coz you are shooting in uber dark environment~
    Pentax Kr, Pentax Super A
    K105/2.8, Fa*24/2, A28/2, A35/2, A50/1.4, A*85/1.4, A100/2.8, A135/2.8