Thread: recommend digicam < $500

Default recommend digicam < $500

Budget? <$500 incl (at least) 128MB flash card (and incl charger if needed)
    Megapixel count? >3MP
    Optical zoom factor? >2X
    Size? Compact
    Type of batteries used? no preference (but if Ni-MH, I will need to get a charger and I am afraid it will exceed my budget of $500)
    Weight? light
    Able to mount lenses/filters? no
    Manual controls required? no
    Auto-Focus Speed? dunno?
    What kind of pictures are you hoping to take? defective goods like wallets, bags, clothings etc, their serial numbers, big cartons taken from a distance of 10meters.

Bascially, I am looking for a simple and compact point and shoot digital camera. No Manual functions needed at all.

Thanks.

1) if its ni-mh...normally the cam comes with a charger

2)u wanna take serial number from a dist of 10 m??? with a 2x zoom???

u may wanna try the nikon coolpix 3400.....got lotsa shooting modes can record movie etc 3x zoom optical 12x digital if i am not wrong...

for ard 400...with a memory card altogether still less than 500..

cheers!!

I will take pictures of serial numbers close up.
    10meters is for big carton boxes.

I couldn't find Nikon Coolpix 3400 in bargaincity.com. But I found Nikon Coolpix 3200 and it's within my budget. But the linked review from that website says that Nikon 3200 has noise problem for indoor shots bcuz it has auto ISO selection. Is that true? I should be taking lots of indoor pictures.

I have shortlisted the following models (incl at least 128 SD card, battery and charger):
    Canon Powershot A400 ($390)
    Canon Powershot A75 (~$500 old model?)
    Fujifilm Finepix A310Z (~$450 old model?)
    Fujifilm Finepix A340 (~$470 old model?)
    Nikon Coolpix 3200 (~$480)
    Nikon Coolpix 3700 ($495)
    Olympus Camedia C-310Z (~$440)
    Olympus Camedia C-350Z (~$500 old model?)
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 (~$500 old model?)

Anyone can help me eliminate or recommend any models? Welcome recommendation of models not on the list too.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fiery
    I will take pictures of serial numbers close up.
    10meters is for big carton boxes.

I couldn't find Nikon Coolpix 3400 in bargaincity.com. But I found Nikon Coolpix 3200 and it's within my budget. But the linked review from that website says that Nikon 3200 has noise problem for indoor shots bcuz it has auto ISO selection. Is that true? I should be taking lots of indoor pictures.

I have shortlisted the following models (incl at least 128 SD card, battery and charger):
    Canon Powershot A400 ($390)
    Canon Powershot A75 (~$500 old model?)
    Fujifilm Finepix A310Z (~$450 old model?)
    Fujifilm Finepix A340 (~$470 old model?)
    Nikon Coolpix 3200 (~$480)
    Nikon Coolpix 3700 ($495)
    Olympus Camedia C-310Z (~$440)
    Olympus Camedia C-350Z (~$500 old model?)
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 (~$500 old model?)

Anyone can help me eliminate or recommend any models? Welcome recommendation of models not on the list too.

Thanks.
    Usually the recommendations for people here would be Canon Axx series, be it the Canon A70, A80 or the A75. However, since you'd stated that manual controls are not required, then probably these might not be good for you. Anyway, for your information, this series are the most value for money digicam, in the capability to do more for the photographer.

Anyway, since you have stated FX1 in your list, may I know whether you are specifically looking for a regular compact camera or an ultra-compact camera? I'm personally using the Olympus AZ1, which is small and sleek, just appropriate to go everywhere... may be a little bit out of your budget, since xD cards are really expensive! You may want to look for Minolta Xg camera, which is within your budget, small and slim, and could basically slip in your pocket.

One last thing to note... the newer Fuji and Olympus compact camera usually uses xD memory card, which could cost a bomb. Think the 128mb xD cost around the region of $80. Sony compact camera, that is if you are considering them, uses memory stick, which also cost a bomb.

Panasonic LC50 ?

Compact or ultra-compact cameras are both fine with me.

More important factors for me would be:
    Budget (<$500 incl card, batteries and charger),
    Pictures taken must be clear (especially for indoor shots),
    Easy to use bcuz user is a total newbie to using digital camera. I am afraid too many controls on the camera will be confusing for the user.

I have a feeling with the requirements I have, any digital camera in the shops will fit me. But I hope to get a digital camera that produces clear pictures and which I can use for a long time for my needs.

Thanks.

Easy to use bcuz user is a total newbie to using digital camera. I am afraid too many controls on the camera will be confusing for the user.

I have a feeling with the requirements I have, any digital camera in the shops will fit me. But I hope to get a digital camera that produces clear pictures and which I can use for a long time for my needs.

Thanks.
    I have a Minolta X-20. Only 2MP but the pix are quite good for a cam in this class. But its not very good for low light conditions, esp if you're shooting in doors with poor lighting, might need a tripod. Give the X-31 a consider. (SD card)

I think you will not go wrong with Nikon.

Thanks.
    In that case, go for the Canon A75... reason being the follow:
    (1) Uses CF card, which is really dirt cheap now. A 512mb Kingston card cost no more than $90 these days.
    (2) Uses AA batteries. Good option for travelling abroad, since the battery could easily be replaced. A good charger with 4 AA rechargable will cost no more than $40.
    (3) Have easy to use functions, that enable you to do point and shoot photography.
    (4) Have capability of manual function, which will enable you to do more in your photography in future.

Most camera would give good images anyway, even those made-in-Taiwan digicam!! Heck! Even camera phone could give good images nowadays!!

We were using digimaster brand digicam. The pictures were prefectly clear 6 mths ago, but the pictures are so blur now that we cant even see the serial numbers on the pictures. That's why we want to change to a good digital camera within our budget. And hopefully, the new digicam can last us for a longer period of time.

We were using digimaster brand digicam. The pictures were prefectly clear 6 mths ago, but the pictures are so blur now that we cant even see the serial numbers on the pictures. That's why we want to change to a good digital camera within our budget. And hopefully, the new digicam can last us for a longer period of time.
    Have you tried cleaning the lens element? It seems that cameras which are shared or used by infrequent users get fingerprints on the lens. Otherwise, I guess that there is camera shake or lens alignment/focusing problems after someone dropped the camera.