Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girl Bags

Default Girl Bags

Hi all,

I would like to ensure that my girlfriend's dslr is well protected and I thought of getting her a camera bag. The thing is she is very very picky on the aesthetic component.

I read a post on choosing a girl's camera bag. The listed choices were nice and some caught the attention of my girlfriend. Sadly, the bags are way above my ideal budget of <$150.

Hence, I was thinking, Can I just use one of her bags and add a padded insert to fit her camera and accessories? I came across DOMKE's inserts at Cathay Photo and it appears to fit the bill yet at a much lower cost.

Thus, my question, is this a good decision?

Default Re: Girl Bags

yes..padded insert can be useful if you want to customize your own camera bag. if you cant find or cant afford the one you want. if u use the pad correctly such that your camera are protected with it. i dont see any problem. n since it fit your budget. why not..

There is an added advantage of not having your bag stand out as a "camera" bag. Sometimes this is critical if you travel to places where snatch theives lurk.

Having pads in girl bags is very ok and is quite a normal practice ;-)

That said, why not take the opportunity to buy her something nice, like the bag.

I''m sure she'll be much more thrilled than getting a bag of pad-dings.......

Quote Originally Posted by yukithesnowman View Post
    I read a post on choosing a girl's camera bag. The listed choices were nice and some caught the attention of my girlfriend. Sadly, the bags are way above my ideal budget of <$150.

Hence, I was thinking, Can I just use one of her bags and add a padded insert to fit her camera and accessories? I came across DOMKE's inserts at Cathay Photo and it appears to fit the bill yet at a much lower cost.

Thus, my question, is this a good decision?
    My view about such things is that you might as well get something people like, if not you're better off not getting.

Suggest you look at Billingham Hadley Pro, Ona shoulder bags ( http://tkfoto.com.sg/index.php/ona/ona-shoulder-bags ) or Kelly Moore. The latter two can be found at TK Foto.

Blog Entries

Take a look at Jill-e bags... Best looking camera bags for women IMHO. Plus they use real leather. Kelly Moore are all synthetics. Ona is not bad also.

http://www.jill-e.com/

Available at Camera Corner in Peninsular among other retailers in SG.

No point buying camera bag for typical non camera person, whether male or female. Most of our camera bags will look cheap to anyone who is not into photography, be it a $200 crumpler or a $400 billingham, they all look like $50 bag to people who don't know the value. And more importantly, not many girls will want to carry the same bag everytime she goes out. So in the long run, attempts to protect the dslr will probably cost more than the camera...best solution is to just dump the dslr in what ever bag she is carrying for that day.
    5D III l 14/2.8 l 24/1.4L II l Σ 50/1.4 l Σ 150/2.8 macro l 28-75/2.8 l

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    No point buying camera bag for typical non camera person, whether male or female. Most of our camera bags will look cheap to anyone who is not into photography, be it a $200 crumpler or a $400 billingham, they all look like $50 bag to people who don't know the value. And more importantly, not many girls will want to carry the same bag everytime she goes out. So in the long run, attempts to protect the dslr will probably cost more than the camera...best solution is to just dump the dslr in what ever bag she is carrying for that day.
    I share the same sentiment. My girlfriend tends to have a couple of bags for different occasions, and getting a single bag would not settle her down for a year? I also have an underlying objective and that is to encourage her to bring along her camera more often. No point leaving at home most of the time.. That's why I thought that a bag that allows a camera to be slotted in would be appropriate.

True, getting her a nice bag would be please her a lot, but I have to see the long-term feasibility and whether she would even consider to bring that bag that I buy for her in the first place. LOL..

Among the bags she went through after a showing her a list of bags, THEIT Bags seems to be her kind, and it is not sold in Sg. Plus its super ex if I were to use Vmail. It is almost equivalent to a higher end Kelly Moore Bag... @.@

Hmm, is there a trend for photography enthusiasts to buy their gfs camera bags (or even cameras)? It sounds like the gfs are not that into photography, yet 'get bought' bags (or cameras?) to be encouraged to be more interested...hmm

Just an observation btw, no offense.

An option is one of those neoprene protective pouches n you can put it onto any bag.

I use those n a regular backpack for my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by geikou View Post
    Hmm, is there a trend for photography enthusiasts to buy their gfs camera bags (or even cameras)? It sounds like the gfs are not that into photography, yet 'get bought' bags (or cameras?) to be encouraged to be more interested...hmm

Just an observation btw, no offense.
    I agree. There is such a trend now, however she already has a camera but just didn't use it and it kinda tick me off that such an equipment is not being used for the purpose of lighter travel or no space in the bag.

what camera does she have? I also am like that, honestly, I don't want to carry around big and fat camera bags. So I just bought this to protect from scratches: http://cgi.ebay.com/Multi-Use-Wet-Bo...-/270767813716

Fits any bag I have, just have to be more careful lor.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    ...best solution is to just dump the dslr in what ever bag she is carrying for that day.

i dont have a cam bag.. i bought a insert and put it on my sling bag..
    and when my son want to use the cam.. he just put the insert on his backpack...
    ~PeaceNoWar~

Actually, it can be any nice girl/guy bag...just buy a properly padded insert (search for Matin Camera Bag Inserts on eBay; about $25 or so) and you can literally transform any bag, branded or non-branded, plastic bags included (haha!), into a DSLR lugging ware.

Seriously, DSLR bodies are pretty hardy stuff for everyday use. As long as the lens is rather well protected against big bumps (you can even use a lint free padding cloth), it's OK.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

Suggest you look at Billingham Hadley Pro

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Take a look at Jill-e bags... Best looking camera bags for women IMHO. Plus they use real leather. Kelly Moore are all synthetics. Ona is not bad also.

http://www.jill-e.com/

Available at Camera Corner in Peninsular among other retailers in SG.
    over TS budget already.. :x

Well the trend ive observe nowadays is. do people still use camera bags? well.. mention before padding is not a bad idea..but of cos a proper camera bag will be more practical in a long run especially for me. But if she is not into photography.. then i think its no point and girls generally dont like to carry the same bag everytime. ( i dontknow your gf tho). you have a pretty good budget..keep searching.

Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post

i dont have a cam bag.. i bought a insert and put it on my sling bag..
    and when my son want to use the cam.. he just put the insert on his backpack...
    Same here. Just bought an insert.
    So that I no need to carry the cam bag ard. Just put in my sling bag or backpack.

Lol..... What an interesting thread....
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

if she's not a camera enthusiast... just get her a nice bag with an insert. when girls dress up to go out, they tend to pick a bag that matches their attire. no point getting her a bag and then realize that she doesn't use it often... or even to hold her camera.

Hi yukithesnowman

You might want to get your gf a handbag that looks pretty similar to Theit bags and separately get a nice insert. Spend some loving patience to explain to her what the stuff are for. Once she sees the effort, most girls will appreciate.

However, it's best to know why she's keeping her dslr at home. Is she that into photography? If she isn't and you would like her to be interested, getting a bag might not be the best way. If it's cos she finds the dslr heavy after much walk, offer to carry for her.

Understand first before you spend big bucks :P

Nobody in a relationship likes to be changed consciously

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast