Thread: How to clean filters?

Default How to clean filters?

After some usage outdoors like on the beach or street, u see some dust or small sands on the filter (UV or CPL)

How do you clean it? Wash under water tap?

I gave a lens pen and blower. But not sure if I shld blow it and use lens pen to get rid of the small sands

Default Re: How to clean filters?

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    After some usage outdoors like on the beach or street, u see some dust or small sands on the filter (UV or CPL)

I gave a lens pen and blower. But not sure if I shld blow it and use lens pen to get rid of the small sands
    i usually use blower and lens pen brush to get rid of them, works most of the time. no harm since filters nia not the front element.
    D7000/ MB-D11/ SB-700/ Tamron 17-50/ Sirui T1204x

use the search function.

The cleaning fluid and cleaning paper does the trick for me...

Quote Originally Posted by daniellcs View Post
    The cleaning fluid and cleaning paper does the trick for me...
    but use the blower first of course, haha.

So far, I haven't had pesky sands getting stuck to the side of the lenses yet.

I use window cleaner solution...
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

Blower to make sure all the stray abrasive dust is gone

Then wipe with microfibre cloth or lens pen.. If there are stubborn stains can always use some amount of cleaning fluid.

Blog Entries

For me, I will use blower first after that I will use lens pen
    Lousy de My Flickr

Blower first, microfibre cloth next, then cleaning fluid (if second step don't work), then running tap water (if third step don't work)... worse come to worse, just leave the thing on the lens until I saved enough to buy a new one... hahahaha...

Anyway all of my filters are terribly cheap - S$20 at the most... so it was like... 1 week of chicken rice cost.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Blower first, microfibre cloth next, then cleaning fluid (if second step don't work), then running tap water (if third step don't work)... worse come to worse, just leave the thing on the lens until I saved enough to buy a new one... hahahaha...

Anyway all of my filters are terribly cheap - S$20 at the most... so it was like... 1 week of chicken rice cost.
    hahaha, normally, the first 2 step is enough for me to get rid of the stains/dust/dirt. Haven't tried cleaning fluid before.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Me too, blower 1st, then use either a microfibre cloth or lenspen. I normally won't use microfibre cloth as much as I was afraid it may wipe off the "color coating" off the glass in long run.

If you have a lot of sand grains on the filter and not just dust, maybe putting in under running tap water first might be a better idea.

Oil stains can then be easily removed with a piece of pec pad and some cleaning solution.
    5D III l 14/2.8 l 24/1.4L II l Σ 50/1.4 l Σ 150/2.8 macro l 28-75/2.8 l

really sorry! TS to use ur thread to ask some related stuff. So we can wash using water. does it always work? well the Hoya Pro1 Digital UV filter and the Hoya HMC(c) filter mounted on my lens are hard to clean!! also why is it when it was so tighten yet sometime dust still appear infront of the front element? really paiseh TS

Quote Originally Posted by teckteck86 View Post
    really sorry! TS to use ur thread to ask some related stuff. So we can wash using water. does it always work? well the Hoya Pro1 Digital UV filter and the Hoya HMC(c) filter mounted on my lens are hard to clean!! also why is it when it was so tighten yet sometime dust still appear infront of the front element? really paiseh TS
    There are no such thing as 100% air tight and so dust is able to go through. And there is no such thing as 100% clean, and so there might already been some dust lodged in your lens and filter and so it would be a matter of time before the dust would get to the lens.

I have washed my lens once with running tap but I reckon that is not a good idea, because there might be water trap in the lens (between the glass element and metal rim) so don't do it.

My advise is, if dust does not affect your pic quality, just leave them be. Or else just use blower to blow then microfibre cloth to wipe...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    There are no such thing as 100% air tight and so dust is able to go through. And there is no such thing as 100% clean, and so there might already been some dust lodged in your lens and filter and so it would be a matter of time before the dust would get to the lens.

I have washed my lens once with running tap but I reckon that is not a good idea, because there might be water trap in the lens (between the glass element and metal rim) so don't do it.

My advise is, if dust does not affect your pic quality, just leave them be. Or else just use blower to blow then microfibre cloth to wipe...
    i see. thanks you very much for the information.

I use Mama lemon, after that; the filter is squeaky clean

If you really get a layer of gunk on your filter, I'd suggest running it under a tap -- just a gentle flow to remove the dust, salt and grit on it (after you remove it from your lens of course).
    There are some locations e.g. windy beaches, on a boat etc where you're gonna get salt spray on your front element/filter (and everywhere else). This dries quickly and leaves a residue on that a blower cannot remove. If you value your filter, don't just blow and wipe.