Thread: is it safe to use FX body and lenses to Morocco?

Default is it safe to use FX body and lenses to Morocco?

Hi,

I am going to Morocco.

For those who have been there, may I ask if it is safe to bring big (FX) DSLR bodies plus lenses like 70-200mm etc?

I will be taking a ferry from Tarifa, Spain to Tangier, Morocco, and from there take buses to the rest of the cities/towns like Cherchaouen, Essaouira, Marrakesh, Casablanca, Fes, Meknes, Anti Atlas, etc etc.

I have been to certain countries in which I cannot use even a small DSLR camera.

thank you very much!

Default Re: is it safe to use FX body and lenses to Morocco?

Quote Originally Posted by dapier View Post
    Hi,

I am going to Morocco.

For those who have been there, may I ask if it is safe to bring big (FX) DSLR bodies plus lenses like 70-200mm etc?

I will be taking a ferry from Tarifa, Spain to Tangier, Morocco, and from there take buses to the rest of the cities/towns like Cherchaouen, Essaouira, Marrakesh, Casablanca, Fes, Meknes, Anti Atlas, etc etc.

I have been to certain countries in which I cannot use even a small DSLR camera.

thank you very much!
    best is if you can check with the embassy.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Its quite safe there compared to JB, just use common sense and watch for your stuff. These parts of Morocco are all tourists spots. Common sense means watching for those snatchers especially those street kids. Going in tours is much safer too and try to stay in the pack. I like Fez the most, if you have the time you can walk through some huge main gate there forgot the name is.

Anyway, you can't blend in to the locals in these places, so just be careful. Enjoy the holidays.

Btw, I brought a 24-70 on this trip, the 70-200 stays mostly in the bag...quite a waste of bag space and weight. enjoy.

hi, i did another route into Morocco, which is through Ceuta (spanish territory on african continent) because I heard the touts in Tangier is pretty bad and i wanted to visit the royal walls of Ceuta! From there you can then walk from ceuta to moroccan territory which is much closer to Tetohuan, from there i moved on to Chefchaouen and then Assilah. Such a pity I didn't have time for the Sahara trip. Anyway, because its a muslim country, people are not v happy when you point the camera at them, so just be careful. I tried street photography style though, but didnt really have good focus and composition haha Consider visiting Gibraltar too, UK territory along the strait.

If you need more information on some of the places. I posted some photos here royd3n.tumblr.com, just go to the archive page

Quote Originally Posted by royden
    hi, i did another route into Morocco, which is through Ceuta (spanish territory on african continent) because I heard the touts in Tangier is pretty bad and i wanted to visit the royal walls of Ceuta! From there you can then walk from ceuta to moroccan territory which is much closer to Tetohuan, from there i moved on to Chefchaouen and then Assilah. Such a pity I didn't have time for the Sahara trip. Anyway, because its a muslim country, people are not v happy when you point the camera at them, so just be careful. I tried street photography style though, but didnt really have good focus and composition haha Consider visiting Gibraltar too, UK territory along the strait.

If you need more information on some of the places. I posted some photos here royd3n.tumblr.com, just go to the archive page
    Nice shots, royden. I'm interested in street photography in morocco too. What setup were u using. Did u have to shoot from the hip a lot to get candid shots of people?

using Ep1 with a 20mm f1.7, I'm not really used to shooting from hip level haha so missed some good photo opportunity. Anyway, quite obvious that i am shooting from waist level i think because my finger is on the shutter button, will be better if there's a wireless remote for your camera haha sometimes you can ask for their permission too.

Yes, who doesn't use a DSLR nowadays?

Just be careful of the usual stuff like pickpockets and lens thieves etc and you'll be fine.

That said, I'm really interested to know what are the countries that you cannot even use a small DSLR camera...? I'm quite interested to find out myself because it's the first time I'm hearing of this.
    Last edited by sequitur; 16th October 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dapier View Post
    Hi,

Like??

I went to Morocco many years ago. I had used the 70-200 without any problem. at times, I had two cameras out of the bag. generally, I did not feel the need to worry. but as usual, be careful with everything. Just enjoy beautiful Morocco, and at the same time, be mindful of the surrounding.
    i had an experience (in Southeast Turkey) where the local told me my Leica M6 was no good, but the other tourist with Nikon D300 had a very good camera. Figure!

Wow great info.....im going to spain and morocco in mid november this yr....