Thread: A Bowl of Rice

Default A Bowl of Rice

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, exposure, lighting and wb

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I'm a newbie trying to improve my photography skill. Hoping to be able to take a delicious looking food photo

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Took this photo in a dim light restaurant

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I felt that something is missing but I just don't know what is missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, exposure, lighting and wb

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I'm a newbie trying to improve my photography skill. Hoping to be able to take a delicious looking food photo

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Took this photo in a dim light restaurant

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I felt that something is missing but I just don't know what is missing out.
    Quite well down with the lighting and composition. I suspect you are missing a faint view of a spoon and a pair of chopsticks to the top left corner. I also feel the dof can be a bit deeper to keep the rice in more focus.
    If this is a food composition, I will also make the effort to dig up the ingredients and place them on the top more to beautify the different colours in the rice.
    Last edited by David Kwok; 14th October 2011 at 02:50 AM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Default Re: A Bowl of Rice

btw, did u clone out or heal anything behind this bowl of rice? i.e on the brown table?
    seems able to see a few patches & some part of the texture of the table is lost?
    http://www.akkuaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Quite well down with the lighting and composition. I suspect you are missing a faint view of a spoon and a pair of chopsticks to the top left corner. I also feel the dof can be a bit deeper to keep the rice in more focus.
    If this is a food composition, I will also make the effort to dig up the ingredients and place them on the top more to beautify the different colours in the rice.
    Thanks, I think if add a spoon & chopstick will make this photo more interesting. But should the spoon n chopstick place straight at the side or slant at the corner? I will take note of the DOF & the ingredients in my next shots. Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by akszaksz View Post
    btw, did u clone out or heal anything behind this bowl of rice? i.e on the brown table?
    seems able to see a few patches & some part of the texture of the table is lost?
    Nope I did not clone or heal anything. I think it's the oil on the table, didn't notice it when I taking this shot. Will take note for clean table next time Thanks of pointing that out.

Great piece of work. Nothing much to complain but personally feel that a fuller bowl of rice would look better. thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    Thanks, I think if add a spoon & chopstick will make this photo more interesting. But should the spoon n chopstick place straight at the side or slant at the corner? I will take note of the DOF & the ingredients in my next shots. Thanks for the comment.
    Slanted at the top left corner, with a spoon on the far left. The chopstick should be on the stand. Both items don't need to be in focus, vaguely will do. It will add completeness to the work.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Focus on the food, the rest is inmaterial.

Thanks you for all the comments and tips. I will keep it in mind especially my composition

The black blobs of ingredients are somewhat distracting. You should either increase the highlight of these or totally do away with them, unless they are a vital ingredient of that dish. Secondly, I think using a smaller aperture may be better considering that half of the contents are not in focus.
    Family | Health | Happy-ness. . . my Flickr here

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro
    The black blobs of ingredients are somewhat distracting. You should either increase the highlight of these or totally do away with them, unless they are a vital ingredient of that dish. Secondly, I think using a smaller aperture may be better considering that half of the contents are not in focus.
    Thanks for the comment. The black ingredient is the duck meat of this duck fried rice. I did consider to pick all up to put it in the centre but later I think it's fried rice, it should be mix in together with the rice.
    As for the aperture, I want half focus of the rice to show part of the detail only. I feel it may look quite plain for the whole bowl to be in focus.
    Nevertheless I will take note of it in my future shot. Thanks