Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

  1. #1

    Default Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Lately i have realised that Deal.com.sg has been using my images without first consulting me on their website to promote their deals. The latest was for the Nongsa Resort taken right offf from my flickr account. Previous was for KTM resort.

    They have never bother to write to me for permission to use my images at all. I have written to them and awaiting their reply on this matter.

    Photographers here, do go through their Deal.com.sg website to check if they have also use your images without consent!
    500px.com/photobasegallery

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffL View Post
    Lately i have realised that Deal.com.sg has been using my images without first consulting me on their website to promote their deals. The latest was for the Nongsa Resort taken right offf from my flickr account. Previous was for KTM resort.

    They have never bother to write to me for permission to use my images at all. I have written to them and awaiting their reply on this matter.

    Photographers here, do go through their Deal.com.sg website to check if they have also use your images without consent!
    Don't just write to them. Send them a bill, and give them a 2-week deadline to settle.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    waiaung.deviantart.com
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    they've made tons of money

    i think as long as the pic is yours, you have enough evidence to prove your ownership, the law will be on your side.
    get a lawyer, or just consult a lawyer friend if you have one.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

  4. #4
    Member SyncGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,118

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Erm.. I don't know whether i have read wrongly but i think i came across some topic on this.

    I thought i read somewhere that photos that are uploaded onto Flickr equates to free usage by anyone?

    Dun hantam me ah.. Think only.. Not sure.. Got to read fine print.. LoL~

  5. #5
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by SyncGuy View Post
    Erm.. I don't know whether i have read wrongly but i think i came across some topic on this.

    I thought i read somewhere that photos that are uploaded onto Flickr equates to free usage by anyone?

    Dun hantam me ah.. Think only.. Not sure.. Got to read fine print.. LoL~
    No. I'm pretty sure that is incorrect!
    Care to share where you read such terms and conditions? It would help to spread awareness.
    Exploring! :)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    or it could probably the Travel agent that supplies the photos to them..

    perhaps you need to check on both.

  7. #7
    Member SyncGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,118

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    No. I'm pretty sure that is incorrect!
    Care to share where you read such terms and conditions? It would help to spread awareness.
    Hmm... After looking around in Google, i realised it could have been misunderstood by me.. Well, a lonng time ago i believe...

    But while looking around for it, it seems that i came across a nice article.. Well, can't post link.. So yea.. LOL!

    Looks something like the Creative Common copyrights thingy.. Haha~!
    Last edited by SyncGuy; 11th October 2011 at 04:59 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    I'm very sure I didn't set to Creative Commons but it is All rights reserved on my flickr account.
    500px.com/photobasegallery

  9. #9

    Default

    I believe Flickr gets the copyright once you upload to them. Better check the t&c
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffL
    I'm very sure I didn't set to Creative Commons but it is All rights reserved on my flickr account.
    I suggest you do a screen capture before they change it.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acman
    or it could probably the Travel agent that supplies the photos to them..

    perhaps you need to check on both.
    It doesn't matter who gave to who, it only matters who display it. In either case, royalty goes all the way back to owner.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  12. #12

    Default

    I have taken screen captures on my iphone. Waiting for their reply. If they can use my pictures i'm sure they can also use anyones else without permission.
    500px.com/photobasegallery

  13. #13
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    you need to make sure that you assigned the correct copyright to your images in flickr, there is a creative commons license that can be assigned to images by mistake

  14. #14
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffL View Post
    Lately i have realised that Deal.com.sg has been using my images without first consulting me on their website to promote their deals. The latest was for the Nongsa Resort taken right offf from my flickr account. Previous was for KTM resort.

    They have never bother to write to me for permission to use my images at all. I have written to them and awaiting their reply on this matter.

    Photographers here, do go through their Deal.com.sg website to check if they have also use your images without consent!
    Just to double-check, can post up the Deal.com.sg website and your photo link???

    This is because there have been instances on the web where people claim the website stole their photo but it wasn't theirs. No harm just making sure, since it hasn't been brought up yet, I thought.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    500px.com/photobasegallery

  16. #16
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Ok, those are without a doubt, your photos.

    Just send an invoice to deal.com.sg, highlighting that these are your photos and you have not granted any rights to anyone to use the photograph. You are glad that they have chosen your photo for use in their advertisements and you would like to charge your usual rate of $X/photo based on what conditions (matching with their use).

  17. #17

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Ok, those are without a doubt, your photos.

    Just send an invoice to deal.com.sg, highlighting that these are your photos and you have not granted any rights to anyone to use the photograph. You are glad that they have chosen your photo for use in their advertisements and you would like to charge your usual rate of $X/photo based on what conditions (matching with their use).
    Thanks. I'll see what they'll reply me first. Btw, you have very nice photos in your gallery.

    Actually I don't wish to get tangle in all these copyright thingy, I'm just an amatuer with a vintage digital cam enjoying photo taking, just that it don't feel good to use images without consent.
    500px.com/photobasegallery

  18. #18
    Member SyncGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    I believe Flickr gets the copyright once you upload to them. Better check the t&c
    This was what I was talking about... Came across an article way back... But can't find it out now.. I remembered reading somewhere on Flickr's T&C stating along the line of, "Images used on Flickr.... Can be used for other purposes..."

    Something like that.. Then perhaps due to that controversial topic, Flickr started that Common Copyright thingy..

    So yea... I think you have to set your pictures with the correct CC settings.. :/
    Pentax Kr, Pentax Super A
    K105/2.8, Fa*24/2, A28/2, A35/2, A50/1.4, A*85/1.4, A100/2.8, A135/2.8

  19. #19
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffL View Post
    Actually I don't wish to get tangle in all these copyright thingy, I'm just an amatuer with a vintage digital cam enjoying photo taking, just that it don't feel good to use images without consent.
    That's what these companies (and many others) are betting on. They believe they have rights (be it by size or having a legal department) that they can use whatever pictures of 'normal people' they can find. They wouldn't dare using images of big companies. But here they try to make a fast one and get good images for nothing.
    Make a screenshot on big monitor, the little iPhone screen would not reveal enough details. All the best, don't let them off for that.
    EOS

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    On flickr you can check "allow Getty images to represent". If they do use your pics, you can get Getty images to go after them

    I heard of a case where Getty charged an unauthorized user $1000 for a thumbnail sized image.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th October 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •