Thread: tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or k-r body?

Default tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or k-r body?

i have a k100d, with 18-55mm, 50-200mm, and FA50 f1.4 lens.

i don't shoot that often, but as i find that the kit lens struggles in low light (actually expected), i am looking at a tamron f2.8 as a step up.

but now that k-r has dropped to a similar price (both around $600), i wonder if it will be better to switch to a new body instead...

on my k100d, iso1600 is bearable, iso3200 is too noisy

will the k-r high iso allow me to compensate for the relatively small aperture (f3.5) of the kit lens?

was pondering a prime (i love my fa50), but pentax's wide offerings are all near f2.8 or worse (da14, da15, da21), which is similar to a constant aperture zoom...

Default Re: tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or k-r body?

K-r ISO3200 is usable.

There are other issues involved in aperture differences though, such as DOF.

It really depends on which is your priority, low light performance overall, or DOF.

Default Re: tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or k-r body?

you can always use a Flash light if you feel the light is not enough. By the way, a fast lens will struggle in dark as well, as it can't see to focus, so use a torch light for assistant focusing.

this shot is shot at dark night with off camera flash at f3.5 with manual focus before hand based on distance, (as focus struggle and hunting for focus something in dark)

in case you want something in a budget, I have a flash unit setup in bns for sale
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-and-flash-set
    Last edited by sunnycamera; 10th October 2011 at 09:52 PM.
    K-01: S8FE, DA35, DA70 Flickr