Thread: Tripod on plane

Default Tripod on plane

Hi, I am asking of anyone here has experience with traveling to oversea with the tripod hand-carried. I have a new tripod recently and it cannot fit into my luggage bag so I am planning to bring it onto plane as hand carried luggage (Shoulder sling as I got a stripe tied to it), but I am not sure if can pass through the custom or not.

Default Re: Tripod on plane

Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3 and many more from Google.

hope that helped. =)
    Last edited by nissanmanic; 9th October 2011 at 08:33 PM.
    i'm a noob | APWP 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nissanmanic View Post
    Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3 and many more from Google.

hope that helped. =)
    Thanks alot, I tried to find it google, but most result I gotten are smaller tripod that can strap to the bag.(The tripod is till my hip height with few cm to my belly button. I am 1.72m tall) I am quite sure the smaller tripod are of no problem and I can even put them in the luggage and check in.
    Last edited by wootsk; 9th October 2011 at 08:46 PM.

hk customs requires you to check in your tripod. USA customs allows tripod to be carried onto planes.

Most airlines have the right to ask you to check in your tripod, as it is not stated whether a tripod is allowed as hand-carry luggage. Most of the time they will shut one eye, but you have to be prepared to be asked to check in the tripod. To be safe, I often put the tripod into the check-in luggage.

Have you tried the following?
    - Remove the tripod head
    - Place diagonally
    - Use a larger luggage

Other than a Berlebach and the really really large metal tripods such as Manfrotto 055, I don't foresee any major issues with placing your tripod legs into the luggage. You can always find room to slot in your ballhead/3-way head into hand carry or the luggage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Most airlines have the right to ask you to check in your tripod, as it is not stated whether a tripod is allowed as hand-carry luggage. Most of the time they will shut one eye, but you have to be prepared to be asked to check in the tripod. To be safe, I often put the tripod into the check-in luggage.

Have you tried the following?
    - Remove the tripod head
    - Place diagonally
    - Use a larger luggage

Other than a Berlebach and the really really large metal tripods such as Manfrotto 055, I don't foresee any major issues with placing your tripod legs into the luggage. You can always find room to slot in your ballhead/3-way head into hand carry or the luggage as well.
    Lolz, You hit the jackpot. I am using a Berlebach report 2022. Sadly, I only got 1 luggage bag and it is not big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Lolz, You hit the jackpot. I am using a Berlebach report 2022. Sadly, I only got 1 luggage bag and it is not big enough.
    I would not carry that tripod overseas, it is not worth the trouble..

The only reason why I even use a Berlebach is because I'm hoping that wood lasts longer than metal for being immersed in the sea. If I don't shoot in the sea, or when travelling, I use a Sirui.

The only reason why I even use a Berlebach is because I'm hoping that wood lasts longer than metal for being immersed in the sea. If I don't shoot in the sea, or when travelling, I use a Sirui.
    I gotten it for the stability and strength. I am lugging my LF to HK for night scene and coast shot. Most of the playing time there, I am planning on using a PNS. Sadly, even a Benro ballhead cannot support my camera and creeps forward. So you can guess how my 'Report 2022' came about for vibration damping and strength (It really works and help a lot )

Blog Entries

tats a monstrous 3kg

Once I saw a Bangladeshi construction worker using a similar wooden tripod, interestingly there is even a Leica symbol on one of the legs.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Once I saw a Bangladeshi construction worker using a similar wooden tripod, interestingly there is even a Leica symbol on one of the legs.
    actually, i sense they are really stable

I gotten it for the stability and strength. I am lugging my LF to HK for night scene and coast shot. Most of the playing time there, I am planning on using a PNS. Sadly, even a Benro ballhead cannot support my camera and creeps forward. So you can guess how my 'Report 2022' came about for vibration damping and strength (It really works and help a lot )
    Oh, LF...

Yeah, then a wooden tripod would be better. I only use DSLRs.