Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tripod on plane

  1. #1
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Tripod on plane

    Hi, I am asking of anyone here has experience with traveling to oversea with the tripod hand-carried. I have a new tripod recently and it cannot fit into my luggage bag so I am planning to bring it onto plane as hand carried luggage (Shoulder sling as I got a stripe tied to it), but I am not sure if can pass through the custom or not.

  2. #2
    Member nissanmanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore (Ulu Pandan)
    Posts
    522

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3 and many more from Google.

    hope that helped. =)
    Last edited by nissanmanic; 9th October 2011 at 08:33 PM.
    i'm a noob | APWP 2012

  3. #3
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by nissanmanic View Post
    Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3 and many more from Google.

    hope that helped. =)
    Thanks alot, I tried to find it google, but most result I gotten are smaller tripod that can strap to the bag.(The tripod is till my hip height with few cm to my belly button. I am 1.72m tall) I am quite sure the smaller tripod are of no problem and I can even put them in the luggage and check in.
    Last edited by wootsk; 9th October 2011 at 08:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY, USA
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    hk customs requires you to check in your tripod. USA customs allows tripod to be carried onto planes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Most airlines have the right to ask you to check in your tripod, as it is not stated whether a tripod is allowed as hand-carry luggage. Most of the time they will shut one eye, but you have to be prepared to be asked to check in the tripod. To be safe, I often put the tripod into the check-in luggage.

    Have you tried the following?
    - Remove the tripod head
    - Place diagonally
    - Use a larger luggage

    Other than a Berlebach and the really really large metal tripods such as Manfrotto 055, I don't foresee any major issues with placing your tripod legs into the luggage. You can always find room to slot in your ballhead/3-way head into hand carry or the luggage as well.

  6. #6
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Most airlines have the right to ask you to check in your tripod, as it is not stated whether a tripod is allowed as hand-carry luggage. Most of the time they will shut one eye, but you have to be prepared to be asked to check in the tripod. To be safe, I often put the tripod into the check-in luggage.

    Have you tried the following?
    - Remove the tripod head
    - Place diagonally
    - Use a larger luggage

    Other than a Berlebach and the really really large metal tripods such as Manfrotto 055, I don't foresee any major issues with placing your tripod legs into the luggage. You can always find room to slot in your ballhead/3-way head into hand carry or the luggage as well.
    Lolz, You hit the jackpot. I am using a Berlebach report 2022. Sadly, I only got 1 luggage bag and it is not big enough.

  7. #7
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Lolz, You hit the jackpot. I am using a Berlebach report 2022. Sadly, I only got 1 luggage bag and it is not big enough.
    I would not carry that tripod overseas, it is not worth the trouble..

    The only reason why I even use a Berlebach is because I'm hoping that wood lasts longer than metal for being immersed in the sea. If I don't shoot in the sea, or when travelling, I use a Sirui.

  8. #8
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I would not carry that tripod overseas, it is not worth the trouble..

    The only reason why I even use a Berlebach is because I'm hoping that wood lasts longer than metal for being immersed in the sea. If I don't shoot in the sea, or when travelling, I use a Sirui.
    I gotten it for the stability and strength. I am lugging my LF to HK for night scene and coast shot. Most of the playing time there, I am planning on using a PNS. Sadly, even a Benro ballhead cannot support my camera and creeps forward. So you can guess how my 'Report 2022' came about for vibration damping and strength (It really works and help a lot )

  9. #9
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I would not carry that tripod overseas, it is not worth the trouble..

    The only reason why I even use a Berlebach is because I'm hoping that wood lasts longer than metal for being immersed in the sea. If I don't shoot in the sea, or when travelling, I use a Sirui.
    tats a monstrous 3kg

  10. #10
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Lolz, You hit the jackpot. I am using a Berlebach report 2022. Sadly, I only got 1 luggage bag and it is not big enough.
    Once I saw a Bangladeshi construction worker using a similar wooden tripod, interestingly there is even a Leica symbol on one of the legs.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  11. #11
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Once I saw a Bangladeshi construction worker using a similar wooden tripod, interestingly there is even a Leica symbol on one of the legs.
    actually, i sense they are really stable

  12. #12
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Tripod on plane

    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    I gotten it for the stability and strength. I am lugging my LF to HK for night scene and coast shot. Most of the playing time there, I am planning on using a PNS. Sadly, even a Benro ballhead cannot support my camera and creeps forward. So you can guess how my 'Report 2022' came about for vibration damping and strength (It really works and help a lot )
    Oh, LF...

    Yeah, then a wooden tripod would be better. I only use DSLRs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •