Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions needed for K-R + lens budget 1.6k

Default Re: Opinions needed for K-R + lens budget 1.6k

Quote Originally Posted by fastfrag View Post
    i think i would be going for the white k-r kit with 55-300mm and play around for the time being, i have used tianya filters before and they seem to do the trick as well...
    hm.. tripods is the tricky part i guess... seriously if not for night photography i dun really like tripods lol

hope to see you in the club soon.

your quite right as well...
    Thanks for the advice~
    No worries. I started out like you. Got a 2nd hand K10D, then used it for a few months and bought the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 and a FA50/1.4. Then after more then a year, sold all away and got K20D and DA*16-50/2.8. I still have the DA* and now using K7 and DA18-135/3.5-4.5, plus my other lenses and film cameras.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

i think i would be going for the white k-r kit with 55-300mm and play around for the time being, i have used tianya filters before and they seem to do the trick as well...
    hm.. tripods is the tricky part i guess... seriously if not for night photography i dun really like tripods lol
    haha... nobody really likes the extra weight but it comes in handy when u need it.

one way is to get a good travel tripod that gives u some flexibility in terms of stability and height, but which folds up into a manageable package. aluminum / magnesium alloy tripods are more affordable and some of the more well known ones include benro, sirui, giottos and slik. or if u're feeling rich, go for carbon fibre and don't look back

yeah i know...
    i was quite 1070 by orient photo for white k-r with 18-55 and 55-300
    as for the accessories, bag, tripod and filter is a must...
    for the prime lens... 500 over bucks is kinda over my budget... how about the 35mm f2.4??? is that gd for portraits?
    55-300 can be used for portraits, and IMHO it's quite good.

Here are some shots taken by kesha, he uses 55-300 for these shots:
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9724/siska.jpg
    http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/975...3222resize.jpg
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/857...3txtresize.jpg

So I'll suggest you to get K-r + 18-55 + 55-300. With $530 extra, you can get nice bag, tripod, manual flash, and decent quality filters. filter for 52mm filter thread (for 18-55mm lens) is definitely cheaper than 77mm one, so you can get better quality ND/CPL/IR filters (b&w/kenko pro1d) instead of using tianya filter.
    http://maxsaver.net/filter-size-52mm.aspx

18-55 lens is one of those hotspot-free lenses for infrared. not sure about UWA lenses.

Sigma 10-20mm is not good for IR, has hot spots issues, btw.

Do you mind the same setup as your 400D? (ie.50mm f1.4, 17-70 sigma f2.8-4.5, 70-300mm)
    Seems like a reasonably well configured setup.

- I wanna be able to take portraits like the 50mm f1.8,
    >> If you take subjects that can wait for you, then yo might want to use a cheap MF 50/1.4 or 50/1.7
    Otherwise options are : FA50/1.4; Tamron 28-75/2.8; 17-50/2.8 (either Tamron or Sigma)

- I would definitely need zoom lens as i do animal photography which requires me to snap them from far most of the time
    >> How far do you need? What animals? In the Zoo?
    That will determine how much reach you need.
    The best budget and good performance option is DA 55-300, but you can consider the 70-300 from Sigma as well.

- wide lens for landscapes as I have a thing for IR photography and for travel
    Stick with a widest focal length of 17mm or 18mm on a 18-55 kit lens or 17-50/2.8 for now. Learn how to do a Pano stitch for anything wider.
    A UWA like a 10-20 will easily set you back $700+, so I think its the lowest priority for now.

- i need a camera bag + tripod as well for night shots
    >> Least important, lots of ppl selling those 'freebie' types or moving up to better tripods.
    Lousy tripod is not that good and can be more frustrating to use, but will still suffice for now with light setups.

Personally, I'd take any of the following setups :

Kr + dual kit lenses (18-55; 55-300) - 55-300 can do portraits too
    Kr + Tamron 17-50/2.8 + DA55-300 it lens + Tamron 28-75/2.8 (2nd hand)
    Kr + Sigma 10-20 (2nd hand) + Tamron 28-75/2.8 (2nd hand) (a bit off budget; but will never need to think about upgrading from 10mm to 75mm focal length anymore, because these two are already very good)

Quote Originally Posted by xdivider View Post
    If you can live with manual lens

wide / tele - kit
    portrait - 50mm f/2 m (less than $100) from ebay
    second hand k-r body
    hm... i think i will save the trouble and go 1st hand
    thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Do you mind the same setup as your 400D? (ie.50mm f1.4, 17-70 sigma f2.8-4.5, 70-300mm)
    Seems like a reasonably well configured setup.

>> If you take subjects that can wait for you, then yo might want to use a cheap MF 50/1.4 or 50/1.7
    Otherwise options are : FA50/1.4; Tamron 28-75/2.8; 17-50/2.8 (either Tamron or Sigma)

- I would definitely need zoom lens as i do animal photography which requires me to snap them from far most of the time
    >> How far do you need? What animals? In the Zoo?
    That will determine how much reach you need.
    The best budget and good performance option is DA 55-300, but you can consider the 70-300 from Sigma as well.

Stick with a widest focal length of 17mm or 18mm on a 18-55 kit lens or 17-50/2.8 for now. Learn how to do a Pano stitch for anything wider.
    A UWA like a 10-20 will easily set you back $700+, so I think its the lowest priority for now.

>> Least important, lots of ppl selling those 'freebie' types or moving up to better tripods.
    Lousy tripod is not that good and can be more frustrating to use, but will still suffice for now with light setups.

Personally, I'd take any of the following setups :

Kr + dual kit lenses (18-55; 55-300) - 55-300 can do portraits too
    Kr + Tamron 17-50/2.8 + DA55-300 it lens + Tamron 28-75/2.8 (2nd hand)
    Kr + Sigma 10-20 (2nd hand) + Tamron 28-75/2.8 (2nd hand) (a bit off budget; but will never need to think about upgrading from 10mm to 75mm focal length anymore, because these two are already very good)
    I think i would go with the dual kit lens... since I'm on a budget... i leave the poison for you guys
    think its more worth while to get a better tripod, filters and dry cabinet

I have owned a canon 400D, with 50mm f1.8, 17-70 sigma f2.8-4.5, 70-300mm IS USM with 580ex flash before then went on to Canon G11 as i wanted portability and then Sony NEX 3 as the G11 could get me the results i wanted compared to the 400D... but even with the Nex3, results are not as satisfactory compared to the 400D, hence i decided im moving back into the DSLR category and im pleased that the K-R fits the bill in terms of budget, features and abilities. I dun really need a mid range dslr as i believe even an entry level camera can take great pics as well, its the photographer that takes the pics not the camera.

Now the question is assuming that i dun wanna go for colour kits, what are the recommendations?
    - needs to include UV filters, polarizer, (IR filter if possible otherwise in the near future, ND filter, sunset filter and morning filters)
    - basic cleaning kit

think main focus is what lens to get and how to stay within my budget... advice is very much appreciated!!! thanks
    From your needs and budget, I think you can get the K-r w/ 18-55 and 55-300 bundle (buy in bundle so to get the best deal) first. With the money left, you should be able to buy an FA50/1.4 if you get a good deal on the Kr twin lens set. As to the others, you don't need to buy them in one go. These three lenses plus a K-r would give you the best setup (within you budget) for landscapes/animal photos/portrait. As you said yourself, you probably don't need a tripod for now, unless you really can't wait to take some night landscapes.

It'd take you a long way to overgrown these, and by then you should be able afford some better lenses, although maybe you don't need better lens at all (to make wonderful photos).

Many here got more than 3 lenses, or better setups than these three. But to be honest, we probably don't need more than 3 lenses, or better lenses for better photos, for most of us anyway.

And btw, welcome to Pentax family I'm sure you'd love staying here.

Cheers and happy shooting.
    Last edited by fengwei; 10th October 2011 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    From your needs and budget, I think you can get the K-r w/ 18-55 and 55-300 bundle (buy in bundle so to get the best deal) first. With the money left, you should be able to buy an FA50/1.4 if you get a good deal on the Kr twin lens set. As to the others, you don't need to buy them in one go. These three lenses plus a K-r would give you the best setup (within you budget) for landscapes/animal photos/portrait. As you said yourself, you probably don't need a tripod for now, unless you really can't wait to take some night landscapes.

It'd take you a long way to overgrown these, and by then you should be able afford some better lenses, although maybe you don't need better lens at all (to make wonderful photos).

Many here got more than 3 lenses, or better setups than these three. But to be honest, we probably don't need more than 3 lenses, or better lenses for better photos, for most of us anyway.

And btw, welcome to Pentax family I'm sure you'd love staying here.

Cheers and happy shooting.
    Thanks man !!!
    appreciate the advice given
    jus one more thing what kind of sd cards do you guys recommend? class 6? or i have to go higher?

Thanks man !!!
    appreciate the advice given
    jus one more thing what kind of sd cards do you guys recommend? class 6? or i have to go higher?
    You are very welcome

I'm using class 6 cards w/ K5 w/o any problem, but I do feel it's abit slow when I want to review the photos after taking a couple of quick snaps. Better buy a class 10 'cause the price difference isn't much. An 8GB SD card wouldn't cost more than $40 I think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12