Thread: Monopod or Tripod - Sigma 135-400???

Default Monopod or Tripod - Sigma 135-400???

Hi

I am quite interested in getting a Sigma 135-400mm APO lens.
    It is heavy... about 1.2 kg to be exact. Experience with heavy lens is only with the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 that I do not use any tripod or monopod.

can I get away using the Sigma lens with a monopod at the extreme range?
    I hate to carry tripod. If I do not carry any kind of mount, what would be the range and at what speed can I get away with a decent image??

Thx

Get the Canon 100-400 IS, similar range as Sigma one, but with IS, so you dont need a monopod anymore

Nikon mount

nikkor 80-400 VR?
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

In dSLR, 400mm is equivalent to 600mm, which is really very, very, very long.

Believe me that it is very, very difficult to shoot handheld. Slightly better with a monopod. Best with a tripod. BTW, what do you shoot at 600mm?

Frankly speaking, the longest I have tried is a 300 + 1.4x TC = 420. I wasn't able to do without tripod.

depends a lot on the shooting conditions. If it's bright day light, you could even handheld and get sharp pics. If it's dark, the slow aperture might require the use of a tripod and remote release for sharp pics.

You will also need to take into account that for that lens to give out sharp pics, the aperture needs to be be at least f9-10. Probably f11 or f13 to be sharpest. So a tripod is recommended if you do not shoot outdoors. The lowest threshold of handholdability is probably 8AM in direct sunlight for a mid-toned object at ISO 400 at f11.

If you do not need sharp results (eg post on the web with 800 pixel pics or print 4R), shooting wide open would give you more leeway.

Buy a monopod first, it will help you by at least 1 stop. It's cheap anyway. Buy a Manfrotto 234RC head which is actually ok to use, only $30 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    In dSLR, 400mm is equivalent to 600mm, which is really very, very, very long.

Believe me that it is very, very difficult to shoot handheld. Slightly better with a monopod. Best with a tripod. BTW, what do you shoot at 600mm?

Frankly speaking, the longest I have tried is a 300 + 1.4x TC = 420. I wasn't able to do without tripod.

u mean on any lens or on usin da VR lens it will increase . . . . ?

Try and see if you can get used to using a monopod first.. I tried a monopod with my 100-400 IS but couldn't get used to using it as it kinda of restricted me and end up shooting hand held instead..
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    Get the Canon 100-400 IS, similar range as Sigma one, but with IS, so you dont need a monopod anymore
    Funny!!! Waz was asking advise to buy tripod or monopod, believe he got $$$ constrain, Wai .... think u very rich? or u got mental problem!