Thread: Which mode should I use for manual shutter and aperture but the rest auto

Default Which mode should I use for manual shutter and aperture but the rest auto

P mode auto shutter and aperture.
    A mode auto shutter speed and manual aperture.
    S mode auto aperture and auto shutter speed.

Is there a mode that allows manual shutter speed and aperture and the rest of the settings on auto?

Thanks!

Default Re: Which mode should I use for manual shutter and aperture but the rest auto

Quote Originally Posted by akhran View Post

Is there a mode that allows manual shutter speed and aperture and the rest of the settings on auto?

Thanks!
    There is... but first you have to tell us what camera are you using.

Normally there would be a Aperture Piority mode, Shutter speed piority mode, Program mode and manual mode. And yes, you can set your ISO control to Auto so that the camera can do its own calculation as to what ISO best fit your setting.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Default Re: Which mode should I use for manual shutter and aperture but the rest auto

It also depends if your camera supports auto-ISO in manual mode.
    Alpha

Sorry, using a Sony A55 and A35.

Aperture priority mode does not allow shutter speed to be changed and Shutter speed priority mode does not allow aperture to be changed. I think Program mode does not allow both shutter and aperture to be tweaked and Manual mode is all DIY? (I could be wrong, but that's what I grasped from reading the manual)

So wondering if there is a mode that allows both shutter and aperture to be on manual and the rest all on auto.

Eg. What is the mode to use if taking a photo of a fast moving car (with no blurred motion) with a big DOF?

If Shutter priority mode is used with fast shutter, the aperture size is automatically increased and that gives a low DOF, which is not the intention.
    If Aperture priority mode is used with small aperture size (for the big DOF), the shutter speed is automatically reduced, and that tend to have blurred motion, which is also not the intention.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    There is... but first you have to tell us what camera are you using.

Normally there would be a Aperture Piority mode, Shutter speed piority mode, Program mode and manual mode. And yes, you can set your ISO control to Auto so that the camera can do its own calculation as to what ISO best fit your setting.
    Last edited by akhran; 8th October 2011 at 09:12 PM.

Aperture priority mode does not allow shutter speed to be changed and Shutter speed priority mode does not allow aperture to be changed. I think Program mode does not allow both shutter and aperture to be tweaked and Manual mode is all DIY? (I could be wrong, but that's what I grasped from reading the manual)

So wondering if there is a mode that allows both shutter and aperture to be on manual and the rest all on auto.

Eg. What is the mode to use if taking a photo of a fast moving car (with no blurred motion) with a big DOF?

If Shutter priority mode is used with fast shutter, the aperture size is automatically increased and that gives a low DOF, which is not the intention.
    If Aperture priority mode is used with small aperture size (for the big DOF), the shutter speed is automatically reduced, and that tend to have blurred motion, which is also not the intention.

Thanks again!
    From the manual of A55, I read, it seemed that on Manual mode (M) you can set your aperture and shutter speed manually but ISO (Auto) was not available, so you need to set ISO manually also.

Well... for many instances, you would need to use M mode (taking example of your car scenario). You can both set the shutter speed and aperture manually. However many times to compensate for the use of small aperture, you might need to raise your ISO value (depending on the lighting available). My advice is, don't be shy about rising your aperture, Sony's camera had great noise control and I think it is perfectly usable even up to 6400, so no problem should be present.
    Last edited by rhino123; 8th October 2011 at 09:45 PM.
    My lousy shots

The Sonys don't support auto-ISO in Manual mode (which, while it can be annoying, also makes sense in a way). Just use the meter, and manually set the ISO.
    Alpha

Thanks for all the information and time for the replies.

Rashkae, could you elaborate on using the meter? Are you referring to the histogram?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The Sonys don't support auto-ISO in Manual mode (which, while it can be annoying, also makes sense in a way). Just use the meter, and manually set the ISO.

Rashkae, could you elaborate on using the meter? Are you referring to the histogram?
    He refers to the exposure meter in the viewfinder, it's the scale from -2 to 0 to +2. But read about the different metering modes and the covered area so that you can interpret the display. Use spot metering to check the exposure of defined areas, then set the overall exposure accordingly.
    You can use histogram as well, but I'm not sure whether a histogram has an exposure scale. Since the histogram reflects the entire scene you need to check the distribution of light, medium and dark portions of the image, then identify the corresponding histogram parts once the shot is taken. With some experience you can estimate how many stops you can increase or decrease exposure before clipping sets in.
    Last edited by Octarine; 8th October 2011 at 11:56 PM.
    EOS

Blog Entries

Thanks!
    It is called M mode, with Auto ISO turned on.

*edit.. sorry not available in Sony.

Thanks for all the information and time for the replies.

1)Read manual Page 105 for different metering mode.

2)Read manual Page 77 for manual exposure.

Sony provide a very very good and quite comprehensive manual for your camera, if you read them thru, you should understand most of the question you have asked before asking them.
    My lousy shots