Thread: how's Ipaq 3870? Recommended?

Default how's Ipaq 3870? Recommended?

Despite being old model, is Ipaq 3870 still a good PDA for a newbie? I have not use/try any PDA before, so thought of getting one for myself to try out.

Please recommend. Saw 2nd hand price around S$250, is that a good price?

Thanks.
    DR KOH KHO KING

It's quite a good PDA... imho, if you're using it for basic PIM. I believe you can get it upgraded to WM2003 too, although it's not WM2003SE. It's good as a basic PDA Good baterry life, and good screen too

Quite worth it... I could help ya out if you need any more help on PDA s/w heehee

3870 is rather bulky and it's using the WM2002, still a little buggy if u ask me. Get a better one like the 1940 - small, light and cost only slight more (around $300+).

Actually another model to look for would be the 2210. I'm using that one currently

Have a look at the screen carefully. The 39xx series screen is better specs. The other thing is to check how long the internal battery will last between charges - it will take a trip to HP service if the battery needs to be changed.

S$250 is also a little expensive in my opinion.

Thanks very much ROMEO, imaginary_number and freelancer! Hmm...guess it is better to look for the newer lower end model from IPAQ...will check out 1940 and 2210. Thanks.
    DR KOH KHO KING

The 1940 is small and very light The 2210 is slightly bigger than the 1940.. but dual slot.. so might be useful if you need CF cards...

Hope you get ur PDA to play around with it

hi Romeo, does the 2210 has built in WIFI? or need to purchase seperately? How much you bought yours?
    DR KOH KHO KING

Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    hi Romeo, does the 2210 has built in WIFI? or need to purchase seperately? How much you bought yours?
    2210 has no Built-in WIFI, I have a CF Wifi card though... but I hardly use it...
    I understand that there are SD Wifi cards avaliable now too..

My 2210, I bought for $400 2nd hand ard 8 mths ago... or thereabouts... my friend offloaded it quite cheap to me... It was worth around 500 2nd hand then...

I think now it's still worth around $300-400 now...

Thanks again ROMEO. Price is kind of beyond my budget...don't wanna spent too much $$$ on something that I am not sure that I will use much...will stick to my notebook at the moment...
    DR KOH KHO KING

No problems

Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    Despite being old model, is Ipaq 3870 still a good PDA for a newbie? I have not use/try any PDA before, so thought of getting one for myself to try out.

Please recommend. Saw 2nd hand price around S$250, is that a good price?

Thanks.
    I had a 3870. The SD slot causes some problems. It slows down the whole machine when you install proggies to it. The bluetooth is also quite problematic. Processor wise, it's very slow by today's standard. If you are buying used (obviously), the non-user replaceable batter should be about at it's end of life, or not very far from it. IMO. It's better to get a newer model for long term use. Unless you find a 3870 dirt cheap and treat it as disposable.

You in JB? Why not try http://www.mypdacafe.com for some advice. They have meet-ups in JB from time to time. Nice fellas. For the Singapore group, it's at http://www.ppcsg.com

I forgot to add. You should be looking at the 39XX series instead. They fixed most of the problems found on the 38XX and it has got a great screen. You should be able to get a good condition at roughly $250 anyway.