Thread: Spare batteries - how many is sufficient?

Default Spare batteries - how many is sufficient?

I'm using Canon 40d with a third party battery grip, I just bought 1 of the third party batteries from one of the cser. In total I have 3 batteries now.

For normal usage, is it advisable to get one more to make it 4? Because the battery grip allows me to use 1 battery to operate. Thus I'm hesitating on whether I should get 1 more battery to make it a pair

Any advise from pros down here?

Default Re: Spare batteries - how many is sufficient?

how often do you shoot? why do you need so many spares???

for the record, i only have 2 batteries of which 1 is spare.

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    how often do you shoot? why do you need so many spares???

for the record, i only have 2 batteries of which 1 is spare.
    Not very often. Because the battery grip uses two battery at one time

To answer your question.. i guess maybe u can try asking yourself..how often you find yourself running out of battery?

TS. you are the best person to answer this question. A fully charged battery allow you to take so many photos. Each outing you will normally take that many. Then have a spare. You might also want to label your batteries.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

The other qst is how often do you use the grip?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by xxhellinvaderxx View Post
    Not very often. Because the battery grip uses two battery at one time
    You can always use the grip with one battery only, using two batteries is not mandatory. Pay attention to the usage of the slots when using only a single battery.
    EOS

when I want to travel without too much things, i just bring 3 batteries. So I don't have to bring the charger and plugs

I have 2 batteries for the camera, but for my case, it's just redundancy. I have not come across I need to use more than 1 battery even when I cover 1 whole day event.

But if you are using flashes, you need a lot more AA batteries. For cost reason, I keep 2 sets of batteries as rechargeable and 1/2 pack of alkaline batteries for backup. Depending on how good you are using your flash, I believe as you get better, you can cut down on the flash power and hence the batteries requirement.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

I think it depend on the battery model.
    7d and 5dmk2 battery are of higher capacity. It can last very long !!!

If your battery run out fast, maybe it is time to get a new one!
    I never need battery grip...
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

On my 50D with batt grip..fully charged I can take up to nearly 700 shots and 60% of them are using external flash..enough bo?

Without the batt grip..a fully charged batt can last me 300 shots easy..so it depends on your usage..only you know..as for me..I have 3 batts..more than enough for me! 2 batts are new and 1 quite old...

I have 5 battery now (with 2 of them getting low), but TS is the best person to answer. Some Qs you may want to ask, what kind of things you are shooting? Sports? what kind of AF (One-shoot or AI-Servo), do you lens require IS, or flash, or Live View? These are some of the things that will affect your battery life.

I see...mostly shoot landscape and some street shots. Uses external flash...I guess, 3 batteries are sufficient for me. Thanks for everyone's input and advise!!

Blog Entries

I see...mostly shoot landscape and some street shots. Uses external flash...I guess, 3 batteries are sufficient for me. Thanks for everyone's input and advise!!
    If you shoot landscape, why are you using the grip? Does it help you?

Sometimes when shooting street, the smaller your cam, the better your shots.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

Those are for portraits shots, not very often of course.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post

I agree that for landscape, grip is unnecessary. It's more of a hindrance that add on weight and make it bulky.

Blog Entries

Those are for portraits shots, not very often of course.
    OK if you are not using the grip very often, It means now you have 3 batteries. You should not have any problems. As for portraits, don't tell me you shoot more than 3000 pictures in 1 setting? If you do, then you really need more batteries.

I'd never use the batt grip when shooting street/walkabout/holiday/landscape cos it's just too darn heavy..when mounted on tripod doesn't feel too safe cos CG is now higher..only when shooting in functions or events where I may not have time to change batts then I use the grip..

Other than 'balance' advantage for heavier lenses and portrait orientation shooting, a battery grip is no longer the solution for more battery life. They were the answer to higher power requirements when AA's were the common source of battery power. Nowadays, its more weight/cost/power efficient to just carry more small Li-on batteries for the specific camera you are using.

As to how many batteries you need, it depends on your needs.
    Guideline is usually have 1 spare with you.
    If you use up more than 1 battery in a day. obviously you'd need 1 more.
    If you are in a situation (eg. middle of the Amazon) with no avenue for charging for a week, obviously you'd bring 7,8,10 batteries to last till you reach the next town.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Other than 'balance' advantage for heavier lenses and portrait orientation shooting, a battery grip is no longer the solution for more battery life. They were the answer to higher power requirements when AA's were the common source of battery power. Nowadays, its more weight/cost/power efficient to just carry more small Li-on batteries for the specific camera you are using.

As to how many batteries you need, it depends on your needs.
    Guideline is usually have 1 spare with you.
    If you use up more than 1 battery in a day. obviously you'd need 1 more.
    If you are in a situation (eg. middle of the Amazon) with no avenue for charging for a week, obviously you'd bring 7,8,10 batteries to last till you reach the next town.
    ... with electric power socket supply...