Thread: How to achieve this white background effect?

Default How to achieve this white background effect?

Hi guys, saw this guys cool photo blog, and he has this technique to get a totally white background for some his pictures...

Can anyone share how he might have done this?

many thanks!
    checkout his awesome images at:

http://mefunx.freeprohost.com/

Well the photographer did say that he/she used white paper as the background and a flash for illumination....
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by thomaschan
    Hi guys, saw this guys cool photo blog, and he has this technique to get a totally white background for some his pictures...

Can anyone share how he might have done this?

many thanks!
    checkout his awesome images at:

http://mefunx.freeprohost.com/

Long exposure of the pink massage ball that is placed on a white paper background and then "painted" with the flashlight. Flashlight as in torchlight (Mag-lite etc..)which you use to illuminated the entire scene while the camera is set for long exposure. You wave the flashlight around the scene to "paint" the scene with light. That is why you look at the way the shadow and how the light falls on vary points of the pink massage ball is alittle "off". I could be wrong but it is very much what I had done before along time back with film. You do this in a dark room. Set up your camera on a tripod. Trigger it and then switch on your flashlight and move it around. You can either do that from a fixed point or you can change that by moving the flashlight axis by moving it around the object/scene. I once read this was called the "poor man" flash hehehe...

Of course I could have got it wrong but the image does "smell" like that technique.

let me share some beginner's experience here...

if we analysis the ball we see here (i dunno if its pink or wat cos i can't see colors aka color blind) there is actually a shadow sharply falling just behind the object. The shadow is not tilted upwards, hence meaning the background on this portion is still flat. so possible that he used a rather big piece of white cloth all the way flat den upwards further away, or this object is small.

then by getting this effect, he must have focused somewhere else than the ball i suppose (i dunno the exif) he might have used f2.0-f2.2 which opens the aperature to allow the bluring of the image and brighten the background. not really sure if he have done any post processing job, if he had not, i suppose long shutter would be needed to achieve a more whiter background. and the torch i suppose would be either led or something white, or the white balance have been changed.

anyway, just based on lookin at the pics...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

wah u guys are damn zai!!
    thanks for the knowledge/explanination! keep em coming!

for this particular image:
    http://mefunx.freeprohost.com/index.php?showimage=22

can the same method be used?

if same method is used, how come the wooden thing is so sharp and non overexposed? shdn't it be blurry like the pink ball? also how come the shadow is so sharp? possible that he post edited? make the blackground into FFFFFF white

Erm.. it's not flashlight painting I think.

Simply use a large white surface/mahjong paper. Illuminate the area. For this pink ball instance, a separate single light/lamp was used to cast the pronounced shadow (close up). Blow up your exposure and tadah! Used all the time in macro still life.

The pink ball wasnt properly focused though. Ouch to the eyes..
    As for the wooden one, same technique. Different angle.

Quote Originally Posted by thomaschan
    wah u guys are damn zai!!
    thanks for the knowledge/explanination! keep em coming!

for this particular image:
    http://mefunx.freeprohost.com/index.php?showimage=22

can the same method be used?

if same method is used, how come the wooden thing is so sharp and non overexposed? shdn't it be blurry like the pink ball? also how come the shadow is so sharp? possible that he post edited? make the blackground into FFFFFF white
    hmm another beginner ranting here...

ok, notice the object now, see the focus area is actually the bottom & not the top part of the object, the object nearer seem blur & the further part is sharp. thats the part where the shadow is about the same alignment as the focused point hence the sharper shadow... also, the light that he used is strong & hence casting a sharper shadow. there is no softbox, bouncing of light for this matter.

like my previous post indicate, the focus of the pink ball is out, hence the effect...

it might be highly possible that he may get uneven 'whiteness' across the image, and he can just color the uneven background white, the shadows does not really need much of the post processing job. normally its just the background that is more harder to get even distribution.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I think its not that complicated...This is what i did before with just a white foamboard...no post-processing...except to resize in ps...

I think it is just taken using a compact camera where the flash is at the side and not above the lens. With this.. the light hits the 'ball' at an angle and the shadows would naturally fall as you see it.

I don't think there's any painting done. Actually.. I don't find that pic any artistic or abstract. It's just an badly off focused ball, over exposed ball. Definitely no bouncing of flash done here.

And yes, the paper was definitely bent upwards that's why the shadow 'turns' upwards.

Well... I may be wrong. Overall.... I don't see anything special or nice about the pic.. btw the page was labelled "awwwwwww.. too close!" So i guess he made a blunder by focusing too closely
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

*scratch head* u mean there's a technique used? i tot it's just a normal digicam/slr with it's flash at the left side. then the user went too close, thus the lens cannot focus properly, then flash ended up overexposed.

~MooEy~

Quote Originally Posted by MooEy
    *scratch head* u mean there's a technique used? i tot it's just a normal digicam/slr with it's flash at the left side. then the user went too close, thus the lens cannot focus properly, then flash ended up overexposed.

~MooEy~
    yah.. that's exactly what I was saying..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler