Exposure 1/200 sec
    Aperture 2.8
    Focal Length 50mm
    Flash Used false

D5000
    50mm f1.8g

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 of the best shot i have today~

TS, this picture doesn't work for me. Yes, I see a shot of some lalang. The subject is in the dead center of the picture. But that is all I see.

I do not see any subject isolation due to the mess that is around your subject. And I am pretty sure lalang is not red in color, and neither is a sunset in Singapore. A slight reddish tint you can pull off, but this is over doing it.

HTH

1) Too cluttered and bad bokeh.
    2) I also agree the red cast is kinda strong

If you are trying to show the nice lalang flower, I suggest that you open up the aperture more for shallow DOF and go nearer to the subject. Also apply the rule of thirds.
    That will make the lalang looks larger and more details showing up. You actually don't need the full length of the lalang anyway. Alternatively for the shallow DOF, zoom it more, provided your aperture is constant.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Feels like it's autumn. love the dreamy effect. There's a little distraction on the foreground though. May think if getting rid of that next time.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

It's not the lalang that we see in open fields. Recently NParks plant a lot of these along walkways all over Singapore, and the leaves and flowers are indeed of this colour.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, this picture doesn't work for me. Yes, I see a shot of some lalang. The subject is in the dead center of the picture. But that is all I see.

I do not see any subject isolation due to the mess that is around your subject. And I am pretty sure lalang is not red in color, and neither is a sunset in Singapore. A slight reddish tint you can pull off, but this is over doing it.

HTH

Don't know how your thread got approved without a writeup. Hope you can supply these details before we make proper assessment of your photograph. As much info as you can. Thanks.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...tique-Requests

I can see real potential in this one as an abstract... Nice uniform colors (red, yellow, brown), lines pretty uniform (bottom left to top right). Smells of autumn, yum!

seems to me that you wanted to create a nice bokeh for the sake of the bokeh.
    but you do forget that the bokeh is meant to isolate your subject from your background (or foreground, depends on the subject).
    a good isolation of this object (what's that actually? dono the name) is to shoot it against some contrast, maybe in your case that would be the sky.
    here are two images to illustrate my point
    jazzcool flickr | Canon EOS 550D |

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcool View Post
    seems to me that you wanted to create a nice bokeh for the sake of the bokeh.
    but you do forget that the bokeh is meant to isolate your subject from your background (or foreground, depends on the subject).
    a good isolation of this object (what's that actually? dono the name) is to shoot it against some contrast, maybe in your case that would be the sky.
    here are two images to illustrate my point
    bokeh is not to isolate the subject. bokeh is the quality of the background blur. i suppose you were referring to that.

but FYI, a nice bokeh would look nice and compliment the image. a harsh bokeh would be very distracting and take away focus on the subject