Thread: With external flash and shutter fixed at 1/200, why the camera will use ISO 400?

Default With external flash and shutter fixed at 1/200, why the camera will use ISO 400?

With external flash and shutter fixed at 1/200, why the camera will use ISO 400 instead of ISO 100?

Default Re: With external flash and shutter fixed at 1/200, why the camera will use ISO 400?

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    With external flash and shutter fixed at 1/200, why the camera will use ISO 400 instead of ISO 100?
    Try setting using High Speed Sync

Default Re: With external flash and shutter fixed at 1/200, why the camera will use ISO 400?

did u set the ISO to Auto?

Yes, i set it to auto. I use 1/200 as i am shooting at home. My flash is 430ex2 and camera is 600d

what's your aperture?

why you need the shutter speed to be at 1/200 sec?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I tried 1/60 fixed but because my handholding technique is bad, picture turns out blur. If i never fix the shutter speed via the custom function, my keeper rate will be lower

Quote Originally Posted by maisatomai View Post
    Yes, i set it to auto. I use 1/200 as i am shooting at home. My flash is 430ex2 and camera is 600d
    Which exposure mode are you using? P or AV/Tv/M? Do note that in the exposure metering for flash usage works different for both. This is not flash exposure, but exposure for ambient light. In P, the flash is considered main light. In Av/Tv/M the flash is considered fill light and the ambient light is considered as main light. Metering will read the ambient light first, then fill the foreground / subject with flash.
    If you fix the shutter at 1/200 and set a certain aperture (which one, actually?), the camera has only left the Auto ISO to adjust according exposure metering result.
    More to read: http://www.photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
    EOS

Your cam will go to ISO 400 if it was set to Auto ISO and using built-in/external flash.
    My photo page: TDR Photography

Quote Originally Posted by TheoDR View Post
    Your cam will go to ISO 400 if it was set to Auto ISO and using built-in/external flash.
    TS: page 89 in your manual.
    EOS