Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Good ballhead $300-400 to recommend?

  1. #1

    Default Good ballhead $300-400 to recommend?

    I've always been using a pan/tilt head. Never realize ballheads are more difficult to choose!

    I've tried a few from the popular brands and so far all of them have been disappointing in one way or another. I'm looking for one that weighs 500g or less and can take loads up to 3-4kg. Should also come with a panning base. Anyone any recommendations? Budget is $300-400.

    The Acratech and Markins are good but price is rocket high. $595! Moreover, still must buy separate plates for different camera bodies, each costing about S$70?! Just buy 2 plates and the total price can come up to $700!

    Manfrotto's 308RC is light but creeps after I lock the knob. Quite poor design and greasy too. Other models are heavy. Worse is Gitzo... Very greasy and head does not move smoothly.

    Anyone could help here pls? Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I've always been using a pan/tilt head. Never realize ballheads are more difficult to choose!

    I've tried a few from the popular brands and so far all of them have been disappointing in one way or another. I'm looking for one that weighs 500g or less and can take loads up to 3-4kg. Should also come with a panning base. Anyone any recommendations? Budget is $300-400.

    The Acratech and Markins are good but price is rocket high. $595! Moreover, still must buy separate plates for different camera bodies, each costing about S$70?! Just buy 2 plates and the total price can come up to $700!

    Manfrotto's 308RC is light but creeps after I lock the knob. Quite poor design and greasy too. Other models are heavy. Worse is Gitzo... Very greasy and head does not move smoothly.

    Anyone could help here pls? Thanks!
    i have a Giottos MH1000. Dunno about others, but I like it and it takes up to about 10kg (or 5 if you use lenses like bigma). 560gms.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    I use a Cambo CBH-3 ballhead with panning, but locking is with just one BIG round knob, which some may not like....very lightweight. Can be bought at Ruby, but today didn;t see in the showroom, maybe they have one inside the shop. Don't get the bigger CBH-5 as it is heavier!

    I personally like the Foba ballhead with panning base and locking is with a lever (good!), but weighs quite alot, considerably for long walks.....

    Goodluck!

    Hong Sien

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    he Cambo CBH-3 was sold new for SGD 136 or around there....Foba is at SGD 420 at Cathay

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    he Cambo CBH-3 was sold new for SGD 136 or around there....Foba is at SGD 420 at Cathay

    Many thanks guys...

    Hongsien, so the Cambo CBH-3 doesn't have a separate knob to control the panning? Hmm, if I adjust the main knob, then the whoel ballhead will move also... can't really do panoramic shots well right, which is what I'm interested in.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David
    Many thanks guys...

    Hongsien, so the Cambo CBH-3 doesn't have a separate knob to control the panning? Hmm, if I adjust the main knob, then the whoel ballhead will move also... can't really do panoramic shots well right, which is what I'm interested in.
    Ho,

    No, thats right, no separate panning lock. But what I do is open the lock a little just enough to pan, but not to move vertically.....but it needs sometime to adjust.......

    Hong Sien

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    eastern side . . .
    Posts
    250

    Default

    i'm usin da same s ur's . . .


    da Giottos MH1000


    only 150 from CP

  8. #8
    Member eawtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    I have the 308RC and find that the creep comes from the QR shoe. There is a slot (hole) near the front of the QR shoe, and I find that if I put a hard cardboard on top of the QR shoe, the creep is reduced.



    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I've always been using a pan/tilt head. Never realize ballheads are more difficult to choose!

    I've tried a few from the popular brands and so far all of them have been disappointing in one way or another. I'm looking for one that weighs 500g or less and can take loads up to 3-4kg. Should also come with a panning base. Anyone any recommendations? Budget is $300-400.

    The Acratech and Markins are good but price is rocket high. $595! Moreover, still must buy separate plates for different camera bodies, each costing about S$70?! Just buy 2 plates and the total price can come up to $700!

    Manfrotto's 308RC is light but creeps after I lock the knob. Quite poor design and greasy too. Other models are heavy. Worse is Gitzo... Very greasy and head does not move smoothly.

    Anyone could help here pls? Thanks!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •