Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79

Thread: Square filters

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by rachy588 View Post
    so for a 11-16 tokina. if i want to shoot at 11mm wide with no vignetting , should i get 100mm or 85mm filter ? and can I stack with with my B+w 77mm UV MRC nano filter ?
    I won't recommend stacking square filter adaptor with UV ring filter. If they ever get stuck together, you will have a hard time taking them apart.

    For Tokina 11-16mm @ 11mm, I would recommend 100mm system. Use Hitech filters & China 100m filter holder & adapter for a cheaper alternative.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  2. #22

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    I won't recommend stacking square filter adaptor with UV ring filter. If they ever get stuck together, you will have a hard time taking them apart.

    For Tokina 11-16mm @ 11mm, I would recommend 100mm system. Use Hitech filters & China 100m filter holder & adapter for a cheaper alternative.
    Oh. so i only have to attach the adaptor ring directly onto my filter without any screw in filter ? Where can I get a china 100mm filter holder and ring ? And Can I use those china holder with lee filters ?

    Sorry for asking so many questions >.<

  3. #23

    Default Re: Square filters

    I used to use D300 with 11-16 and Cokin filters. You have to use the UWA filter holder and even so, there is vignetting at 11-12mm. 13mm onwards is fine. They are crumble-some to say the least. I am lazy so putting them on and changing filters on them is 'hard work' for me. Nowadays, I don't use filters and even tripod. Just too lazy I guess. I do ... more on post.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rachy588

    Oh. so i only have to attach the adaptor ring directly onto my filter without any screw in filter ? Where can I get a china 100mm filter holder and ring ? And Can I use those china holder with lee filters ?

    Sorry for asking so many questions >.<
    Attach the adapter directly to ur lens filter thread. China holder u got try ur luck at orient photo. May not have stock.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  5. #25

    Default Re: Square filters

    Most of you seems to talk about LEE's GNDs and NDs. Has anyone tried their single effect filters like sunset, coral, autumn and sky filters ?

    Was watching this video: and wonder what filter does he use to achieve this kind of effect.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Square filters

    Those creative filters can be simulated during post processing. It is very difficult to simulate polarizing effect, ND, and GND effects in Photoshop.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  7. #27

    Default

    But if it's time lapse photography, I don't think it's possible to photoshop thousands of photos.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by walkfaster View Post
    But if it's time lapse photography, I don't think it's possible to photoshop thousands of photos.
    if you are talking about star trails then yes, you can combine thousands of shots in a single photo in Photoshop.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  9. #29

    Default

    But what about time lapse?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by walkfaster View Post
    But what about time lapse?
    It's possible, but will render ur pc being useless during processing time. In lightroom, there's a copy and page develop settings function that can duplicate ur GND or ND or even other cropping, exposure, sharpness.. etc etc settings throughout many pics.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  11. #31

    Default Re: Square filters

    yup i tried that but it seems like everytime i tried to load a previous setting its takes quite some time. If i were to do this for thousands of pictures it gonna take hours. or maybe running on 4gb ram is too little for photo editing ?

  12. #32
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by walkfaster View Post
    But if it's time lapse photography, I don't think it's possible to photoshop thousands of photos.
    It is a lot easier than you think it is

  13. #33
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    It's possible, but will render ur pc being useless during processing time. In lightroom, there's a copy and page develop settings function that can duplicate ur GND or ND or even other cropping, exposure, sharpness.. etc etc settings throughout many pics.
    Read up on "Sync" in LR.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Square filters

    hahaha ok! thanks!

  15. #35

    Default Re: Square filters

    so afterall, to get into time lapse photography, i just have to get the set of GNDs and big stopper ?

  16. #36
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Read up on "Sync" in LR.
    I personally find that the "Sync" takes up abit more processing power on my computer than when I use copy and paste develop settings. (probably just my computer...)

    Did that experiment when I played with my first short Timelapse photography (300++ images)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  17. #37
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by walkfaster View Post
    so afterall, to get into time lapse photography, i just have to get the set of GNDs and big stopper ?
    Depending on what kind of timelapse photography you want to shoot...not all requires GNDs or Big Stopper..It will also help if you know what GND and ND10 does.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  18. #38
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I personally find that the "Sync" takes up abit more processing power on my computer than when I use copy and paste develop settings. (probably just my computer...)

    Did that experiment when I played with my first short Timelapse photography (300++ images)
    Well, just click sync and walk away for a coffee or two. Another is to right click on a selection of photos and do develop settings and apply a preset. I've done 1600 pictures one shot this way... and believe me, time wise it is nothing compared to exporting those pics.

  19. #39
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Square filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Well, just click sync and walk away for a coffee or two. Another is to right click on a selection of photos and do develop settings and apply a preset. I've done 1600 pictures one shot this way... and believe me, time wise it is nothing compared to exporting those pics.
    1600....you could really can have a good nap...a 300+ already got on my nerves (aprox 20+ mins on my computer, RAW->JPEG)

    I still prefer the dummy proof method of copy & paste develop settings
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  20. #40
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Square filters

    i'm trying to source for china brand 100mm filters. so far very little luck.

    no official websites for tianya, hercules etc. isnt making my life easy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •