Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more canon than nikon users in here......

the reason for the large chart for lens compatability is due the large range of lenses available for nikon, some of the are very old lenses and some of them are very rare special purpose lenses.

if you stick to normal everyday lenses, you won't face any problems.

rgs
    rueyloon

There's Non-AI, AI, AIS, and AF lenses. First 3 are MF lenses, most modern cameras will work with AI and AIS lenses, and you can get Non-AI lenses AI'ed. Now, unless you're buying old stuff, I can't see what problems you face in compatibility issues. If you do find an incompatible lens, please call me, I want to look at it!

Default Re: more canon than nikon users in here......

Originally posted by desmondwong
    correct me if i'm wrong but almost 75% of users here use canon systems right?

hardly hear anyone mention nikon systems......

is canon better than nikon in any way other than the all important personal preference?
    That's because almost everyone buys a G1/G2, and those who buy SLRs tend to start with the EOS 300.

For the record, I use a Nikon F100, FE and Coolpix 950. There's no lack of Nikon users here, there's even one with a D1X.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by denizenx
    never liked nikon becos they had so many types of lenses... whereas EF is EF, u can upgrade whenever u like.
    just like their flash, the dcams can use the flash in FULL TTL unlike the CP5.000?
    Well, actually, whereas Nikon still managed to maintain a high level of backwards compability in their body/lenses, Canon and Minolta chose to develop a completely new range of lenses for their SLR systems.

A large number of Nikon lenses can be used on almost any body. E.g., you can use say, an AF 80-200mm f2.8D ED on a Nikon FE (1978). Now, try using a Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM on a Canon AE-1 or even the T90.

Regarding the flash, it depends on what you mean by "Full TTL". Nikon digital cameras does have TTL with the appropriate flashes. TTL does not refer to things like zooming the flash, activating the focus assist light, etc. All it means is that flash exposure metering is done through the lens. Yes, Nikon flashes does not have full capability on the lower end digicams, but the TTL is definitely there.

Regards
    CK

Some Nikon lens mount info:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ount/lens1.htm

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by TOOL
    Happy user of a Nikon E995 here! I love the swivel lens
    indeed.. the swivel lens is quite an asset....

Originally posted by ckiang

Regarding the flash, it depends on what you mean by "Full TTL". Nikon digital cameras does have TTL with the appropriate flashes. TTL does not refer to things like zooming the flash, activating the focus assist light, etc. All it means is that flash exposure metering is done through the lens. Yes, Nikon flashes does not have full capability on the lower end digicams, but the TTL is definitely there.

Regards
    CK
    For CP995's case, the flash metering is not exactly "through the lens". The sensor for integrating the flash illumination is on the pop-up flash. So flash exposure is not metered through the lens. This is more equivalent to the "Auto" mode on SLR flash teminology.

When you use CP995 with an external flash, the camera will squelch the external flash when it has determined that the exposure is enough. To get this to work, the external flash has to be set to "TTL". Strickly speaking, this is not "TTL".

On CP995, the pop-up flash has to be popped up even when you are using an external flash, for the reason described above.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Hi,

Originally posted by roygoh

For CP995's case, the flash metering is not exactly "through the lens". The sensor for integrating the flash illumination is on the pop-up flash. So flash exposure is not metered through the lens. This is more equivalent to the "Auto" mode on SLR flash teminology.

When you use CP995 with an external flash, the camera will squelch the external flash when it has determined that the exposure is enough. To get this to work, the external flash has to be set to "TTL". Strickly speaking, this is not "TTL".

On CP995, the pop-up flash has to be popped up even when you are using an external flash, for the reason described above.
    I know, I use the CP950. It's more of "NTTL - Next To The Lens". The CP5000 is also not true TTL in the sense of the word either. I am not too sure about the G1/G2 though. Still, what I am trying to say is that TTL mode works. Whether or not it's really through that lens is another thing altogether.

Regards
    CK

Hi,

I know, I use the CP950. It's more of "NTTL - Next To The Lens". The CP5000 is also not true TTL in the sense of the word either. I am not too sure about the G1/G2 though. Still, what I am trying to say is that TTL mode works. Whether or not it's really through that lens is another thing altogether.

Regards
    CK
    Point well taken.

So CP995 is "TOTL" Top-of-the-lens metering.

Regards

Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by roygoh

Point well taken.

So CP995 is "TOTL" Top-of-the-lens metering.

Regards

Roy
    lol! That's very true!

Regards
    CK

Hi,
    Regards
    CK
    G1 / G2 employs full ETTL when used with Canon EX flashes.
    Certain features are not there, such as IR focus assist and modelling lights - otherwise everything is there, including flash head zooming.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Originally posted by Red Dawn

G1 / G2 employs full ETTL when used with Canon EX flashes.
    Certain features are not there, such as IR focus assist and modelling lights - otherwise everything is there, including flash head zooming.
    But no one knows whether exposure is really measured THROUGH the lens.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: more canon than nikon users in here......

That's because almost everyone buys a G1/G2, and those who buy SLRs tend to start with the EOS 300.

For the record, I use a Nikon F100, FE and Coolpix 950. There's no lack of Nikon users here, there's even one with a D1X.

Regards
    CK
    well, i'm actually a nikon user here. FM2, F801, occasional FE2, past CP 775 and present G2 user.

Default Re: Re: more canon than nikon users in here......

Looking at the photos posted by various posters, I'd say there are 2 D1X users around, or maybe 1 is a D1H

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Re: more canon than nikon users in here......

Originally posted by erwinx
    Looking at the photos posted by various posters, I'd say there are 2 D1X users around, or maybe 1 is a D1H

Yup, there are 2. I forgot about the other one. Both are D1X users.

Regards
    CK

But no one knows whether exposure is really measured THROUGH the lens.

Regards
    CK
    i have reasons to believe it is so even for the G1 / G2 cos for ETTL, the preflash light is analyzed by the same evaluative metering system that the camera uses to meter ambient light. This means it meters through the lens and is harder to fool than external sensors, isnít confused by bounced light and does not read anything off the surface of the film. For what itís worth, unlike the TTL flash meter, the E-TTL metering sensor cannot be seen by the curious - itís hidden away up in the pentaprism or porroprism housing. (for SLRs)

Since the G1 / G2 also preflashes. as with all ETTL systems (you can also manually preflash via Flash Exposure Lock FEL button), the preflash is also analysed by the same evaluative metering system. This evalutive metering system, obviously, works only through the lens
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

cliveming
    Guests

hey, IMO using wat brand of camera is not so important rite, as long as the camera suit yourself, that can let you take the pictures you like, the pictures you like, that ok liao, rite?
    For me, i dun like to chase the new technology, coz i dun have much money, but the lens is quite important coz every pictures must pass through the lens rite?

Well, actually, whereas Nikon still managed to maintain a high level of backwards compability in their body/lenses, Canon and Minolta chose to develop a completely new range of lenses for their SLR systems.

A large number of Nikon lenses can be used on almost any body. E.g., you can use say, an AF 80-200mm f2.8D ED on a Nikon FE (1978). Now, try using a Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM on a Canon AE-1 or even the T90.
    The advantages and disadvantages of moving on/sticking to a certain level of backward compatibility has been beaten to dead in many many many debates in so many forums, mailing lists and newgroups that I've lost count.

The simple end conclusion varies according to the individuals' needs. Nikon had a large following of people owning fully manual cameras while both Canon and Minolta had a smaller portion of the pie by comparison. So for both Canon and Minolta, electing to move on to a mount that better served the needs of future, more advanced bodies was probably a wiser decision on their part. For all parties, it was a marketing decision, period. There is no satisfying everyone at the same time, so while it's great that you can use your AF 80-200mm f2.8D ED on your Nikon FE (in full manual obviously), but I don't have a non EOS type Canon body so why on earth do I care if it works with a T90 or AE-1 ?

As to the confusion of the lenses available for Nikon, its probably due to the fact that there are lenses in the Nikon stable that aren't compatible with every single Nikon camera. So for people not in the "know", its dead confusing to have to second-guess which lens works with what. (Although, sticking to the latest lens with the latest bodies probably gives the least headache.)

For example, my colleague has been complaining to me that he can't use this lens, that lens (don't ask me which ones, I've no idea either) with his FM10.

In the case of Canon, the FD lenses aren't compatible with the EF mounts (at least not unless you have an adapter) and thus the EOS range of cameras only has the entire range of EF lenses to contend with, so no compatibility issues to think about here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12