Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S is announced...

Lol this iPhone 4s thread is becoming a pc Mac thread?
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Default Re: iPhone 4S is announced...

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    Windows is too big to drop. Even though more people using Mac but every Mac users will still install Windows. So Windows still win, even if you use Mac or PC
    So is HP, first tablet off the shelve, 2nd looking at another company to take over its desktop production line. When is a company too big to be bankrupt ? One very true aspect is indeed that Windows have a faithful bunch of users in the corporate world. Not that these users don't want to change to Mac, but because the very OS they are using today is still Windows XP. It's the support and the software that are stuck with this operating system.

As a Mac user myself, it is true I still use Windows, for some particular reasons such as M$ Office is better in Windows, M$ PM, M$ Visio and VMWare infrastructure client for administration of VMWare systems.

Basic functionalities such as listening to music, watching of HD videos, surfing net, VoiP conferencing, and so forth are very much, if not better, just as good as the M$ Windows. If it's about basic users jumping the ship, what APple has to offer is a much better option for hassle free usage.

If today it's about games, yes I pretty much agree Windows still have an edge over, seriously not because Windows is better, but because of the R&D cost invested in the 3D engines that are already written for M$ platform. Also for this industry, performance is their KPI. It's much easier to squeeze performance on a platform they have understood for years, than to move into a new platform with different API and different optimization required.
    Last edited by David Kwok; 6th October 2011 at 12:06 AM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Now. That's ONE satisfied customer, isn't it ?
    Maybe age does catches up....don't want to spend too much time fiddling with gadgets......long gone are my PC DIY and overclocking days....too much effort with so little gain

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine

Windows is too big to drop. Even though more people using Mac but every Mac users will still install Windows. So Windows still win, even if you use Mac or PC
    More and more people buy mac to change to windows nowadays. Apple earns the money from the hardware, while windows only earn from the software. That's not even true all the time. People work around things just like how we download installous. Soon Apple will earn more money (don't forget about iPhone revenue) and they can develop more. One day, Apple will take over Windows just coz windows can't sell as many hardwares as the past. If Windows doesn't comes up with some genius stuff soon... I don't know? Maybe tomorrow see headlines "Windows releases holographic display system with an ultra-affordable price"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Maybe age does catches up....don't want to spend too much time fiddling with gadgets......long gone are my PC DIY and overclocking days....too much effort with so little gain
    Indeed. That's why you are senior right ? When your purchasing power increases, those over clocking are basically a waste of time. I'm not saying you need to be filthy rich to be able to discard tweaks. Very often, people are just so passionate about squeezing out 10% more out of a 20% problem, but if they see the bigger picture, they just have to focus on the 80% of the problem, those 10% squeezed out is negligible and not worthy of the time and effort.

There again, I have to agree with all those effort tackle at the 20% problem, these fellas often end up as elites that may very well surpass those that did not. So it's a cost versus experience issue. But as we get older and more experience, we tend to learn and figure out that it's more worthy to spend your time on things that you may have neglected in the past because you are too focus on a particular issue.

Way of Life I guess

my potato chips finished already, have to buy more and continue reading this thread.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    More and more people buy mac to change to windows nowadays. Apple earns the money from the hardware, while windows only earn from the software. That's not even true all the time. People work around things just like how we download installous. Soon Apple will earn more money (don't forget about iPhone revenue) and they can develop more. One day, Apple will take over Windows just coz windows can't sell as many hardwares as the past. If Windows doesn't comes up with some genius stuff soon... I don't know? Maybe tomorrow see headlines "Windows releases holographic display system with an ultra-affordable price"
    Microsoft has indeed see the need to perk up, thats why you are looking at a totally different platform for Windows 8. It is also a very true issue for today computing that Intel is not the only feasible hardware choice. We have ARM coming hot on the heels because people are interested in performance and also interested in longer battery life and greener computing. Microsoft may be late, but no doubt their management have notice that today tablet and mobile computing demands are soaring high. Using the bloated Windows platform for these battery operated devices is way too bulking and not efficient. We have seen a lot of failure for products that simply stuff the Windows platform into such mobile devices. The battery life is compromise, the heat is too significant and they need to clock down the CPU and/or GPU which sacrifice the performance.

Now that Microsoft is so much behind Google Android and Apple IOS, I'm also interested to see how Microsoft intend to turn the table. Perhaps it is just another Vista to be born.

[QUOTE=David Kwok;7494132]Where is the R&D cost ? R&D isn't cheap. It's intangible yet it cost way more than your product. How about the cost to hire some of the best engineers, designers, consultants that rope together and deliver the product that you see today ? How about the cost to bring you upgrades and new features in both software and hardware almost every yearly ? I don't see a lot of companies able to deliver that this kind of rate ? Again cost.

.................................etc.etc.

Thank you for the long story.

I have read all the "alleged" reasons, only you gave me nowhere explains why Apple pays extreme poverty wages.

Your story is a cheap, cynical excuse, that Apple has the right to pay starvation wages and treat workers like slaves.

A point pervers: the product that these workers for a pittance produce, exactly this product attract others to buy it for show off.

-strange world-

do you know, that many workers in the Apple factory have killed himself.
    they were jumping from the factory-window to their deaths.
    do you know where the profit - billions dollars - go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon88 View Post
    Where is the R&D cost ? R&D isn't cheap. It's intangible yet it cost way more than your product. How about the cost to hire some of the best engineers, designers, consultants that rope together and deliver the product that you see today ? How about the cost to bring you upgrades and new features in both software and hardware almost every yearly ? I don't see a lot of companies able to deliver that this kind of rate ? Again cost.

I have read all the "alleged" reasons, only you gave me nowhere explains why Apple pays extreme poverty wages.

Your story is a cheap, cynical excuse, that Apple has the right to pay starvation wages and treat workers like slaves.

A point pervers: the product that these workers for a pittance produce, exactly this product attract others to buy it for show off.

-strange world-

I hope you get this straight. I'm not about to answer your doubts on why people jump off the buildings and why they choose to end their lives this way. If you want to dig up on such topics, I'm sure Apple is not the only company exploiting on chinese labors. The world is. Regarding this question, it's political and definitely not within the scope of this forum to discuss, do it somewhere else.

But if I may remind you, where are you from ? As in your true identity whereabouts. Look at all those merchandize you own. If you are a Chinese from China, then I highly recommend you place your question somewhere else before this discussion turns political. If you are not a Chinese from China, then please review on what you are spending everyday and also what you own at home are Made in China, before you indulge in this topic.

I highly recommend you read the T&C found at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/faq.p...q_new_faq_item before you proceed further.
    Last edited by David Kwok; 6th October 2011 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon88 View Post

-strange world-

Really? You sound like the cynical one here. If you're referring to the suicides at the Foxconn plant, then you'd better be clear that it is not an 'Apple factory'. Foxconn is a contractor to numerous MNCs, including HP, Acer, Microsoft, Dell and Sony Ericsson.
    You may not like Apple (I don't particularly like corporate Apple, though I've used Macs for two decades), but at least get the facts right.

Incidentally, do you happen to know how much a Swatch watch costs to make, or designer label clothes? How about Android handsets? If you don't like modern capitalism, take it up in another discussion, this is seriously OT in this thread.

What is up with the hostilities? C'mon you guys, it's just a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp
    What is up with the hostilities? C'mon you guys, it's just a phone.
    Ya c'mon. You all need to chillax
    There are no bad photographers, only photos that could've been done better
    My Flickr

Yawn... Talk so much also no use. In the end still same everyone will have thier own brand to back. All got thier reasons.

Go out an shoot la.

Ok bye. Flying to phuket soon.. Cs app damn good to kill time while on the bowl or waiting for flight.

Meanwhile, RIP Steve Jobs -- A great visionary. You did one hell of a good job.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 6th October 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Farewell Steve Jobs. RIP. Condolences to the family.
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

....S stand for Steve who passed away on Wednesday!

RIP...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

RIP to the American Genius, Steve Jobs

[QUOTE=Poseidon88;7494561]
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Where is the R&D cost ? R&D isn't cheap. It's intangible yet it cost way more than your product. How about the cost to hire some of the best engineers, designers, consultants that rope together and deliver the product that you see today ? How about the cost to bring you upgrades and new features in both software and hardware almost every yearly ? I don't see a lot of companies able to deliver that this kind of rate ? Again cost.

-strange world-

I have no wish to turn this into a vicious personal attack, but instead I do think this is an important business and ethical (as distinct from religious, political or racist) question worthy of consideration.

What is a company's "right"? Should it pay the lowest wages because it can? Does it have the responsibility to be a good corporate citizen, or just to earn maximum profits?

It's not at all an easy question. Apple is a company that survives mostly on its marketing prowess. Other such companies (Coke, Nike) have all come under attack for 'exploitation' in recent times, when really all they did was pay prevailing market rates in developing countries. For Apple, the problem may be worse, since it thrives on an image of 'cool', and most people don't think cheap developing country labour is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp
    Meanwhile, RIP Steve Jobs -- A great visionary. You did one hell of a good job.
    I will buy one 4S to show my support to Steve jobs - RIP

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast