Thread: Epson RD-1!

Default Epson RD-1!

Some interesting news on the "Leica" compatible digital rangefinder.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04...1dateprice.asp

kinda ex though at an estimated street price of US$3k, around the price of a D2H.
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th October 2004 at 01:51 PM.

US$2999 looks like the MSRP, street price should be around US$2400? Still close to S$4k++.

Anyway, what things about Leica is cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    US$2999 looks like the MSRP, street price should be around US$2400? Still close to S$4k++.

Anyway, what things about Leica is cheap?
    This is not a Leica le!

Available in HK for about HK$21,000 - roughly S$4500+, with the English manuals, etc. Japan price is ard the same - $300,000 Yen.

Now I have another body for my M collection......

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    This is not a Leica le!
    I've never mentioned that RD-1 is a Leica. It's merely a "Leica" compatible body.

Woo.... very nice pics within the links.

This is not a Leica le!
    Leica will come out with their own, then you'll see a whole market flooded with 2nd hand RD-1

Doubt leica will just sit back and watch RD-1 sell w/o doing anything about it?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    Leica will come out with their own, then you'll see a whole market flooded with 2nd hand RD-1

I think Leica will launch its Digital back for its M-series camera too....haha...just imagine you can still use your 50 years old M3 with a digital back!!! How can the modern be without the classic?

No doubt about it, but it will be like 2012.

Just some thoughts.

If im not mistaken, the legendary Leitz's 3D effect is achieved via a sharper image centre than the image corners on the image circle. Since the RD-1 has a cropped sensor, won't the very reason people buy Leitz equipment be nullified?!
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Just some thoughts.

If im not mistaken, the legendary Leitz's 3D effect is achieved via a sharper image centre than the image corners on the image circle. Since the RD-1 has a cropped sensor, won't the very reason people buy Leitz equipment be nullified?!
    Have to disagree with this. The 3D effect comes from the tonality that the lens can render and thus giving you different seperation of blacks. I can show you some samples of shots printed at 11x14 taken by the Leica M and the Canon L lenses. I'm comparing the exact same scene taken under same lighting condition and you can see how well the tones seperates, thus giving it the 3D texture.

It's quite subtle tho.

I think Leica will launch its Digital back for its M-series camera too....haha...just imagine you can still use your 50 years old M3 with a digital back!!! How can the modern be without the classic?

Leica wouldn't launch a digital back for the m-series. They'll probably make one that's full frame based on the RD-1 prototype.

We've yet to see how the digital module for the R8/R9 performs. But rest assure, Leica will launch their own m-mount digital RF, just a matter of time. By which Epson will be trying to come out with RD-383020315235154451.

Competition, competition

Leica wouldn't launch a digital back for the m-series. They'll probably make one that's full frame based on the RD-1 prototype.
    RD-1, is not a prototype

Have to disagree with this. The 3D effect comes from the tonality that the lens can render and thus giving you different seperation of blacks. I can show you some samples of shots printed at 11x14 taken by the Leica M and the Canon L lenses. I'm comparing the exact same scene taken under same lighting condition and you can see how well the tones seperates, thus giving it the 3D texture.

It's quite subtle tho.
    Have to agree that Leica lenses tonality is unsurpassed!!!