Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 99

Thread: Wedding photography experience...

  1. #61

    Default

    hi Nick,

    i like to say something but its not to direct you or the main photogragher but wedding photography is not for everyone. It does not mean if anyone has a half decent camera or a phone camera can be a wedding photographer.

    Besides photography skills one must know how to engaged/ disengaged your subjects, 'fight tooth to tooth with other wannabes', kids with phone cameras, sisters or even uncles with lecias and other what nots, politely tell them to not point their cameras to the main photograher direction cos is inviting hell to the subjects sense of attention.

    its also about the love and passion for the event, to bring the best and even bring the couple's personal feel into the wedding.

    Once a popular photographer told me wedding, its all the same. I disagree with him stating you can inject your sense of feel for the couple and shoot with feelings for that day. That is why butts and other wannabes cannot dampen my spirit for the couple nor the event.

    too slow with your camera? that is the fastest DSLR you have in your hands make use of it. Wanna shove the main aside, do it with style.(by the way its solid metal too, if you know how to make use of it. Ever know how it feels like drop your camera onto someone toes? If you are also engaged do your job, do it well, love it or dun do it at all.

    Do not let anyone affect your work/job. Fight for your own bloodly rights but do not get in the way in any way intentional. For candids you can shoot the main photograher telling the priest/father off. Everyone can laugh off how bitchy the main photogragher was when they see your pictures.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funksoulava
    You also mentioned that you were "just being a bit slow on the finger-work" and ended up not getting the shot. Could it be that you were slowed down by having too much equipment hanging on your body?
    Ironically the 1D MK II is acclaimed to be the fastest DSLR by Canon, how can it be slow?

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mostly SF, Sometimes SGP
    Posts
    424

    Default Perspective from the photographer

    Hey Nick, while I must say that the photographer was rude telling you off and blocking your shots, it is not at all uncommon for wedding photographers to have a clause in their contact stating that they are to be the only photographers at the event.

    In my wedding contracts, I have a clause stating that I am to be the only official photographer and any secondary photographers can only be employees of my company. Am I strict about this? Yes. And in the event where you do become a pro photog one day, my advice for you is to have a clause like that in your contract as well for the following reason

    1. Believe it or not, you photographing a posed scene, ie family portraits setup by another photographer is in effect considered a copyright violation. In some markets you can be sued over this.

    2. So many threads on this site have talked about one upping the main photographer in pictures, style, equipment etc. All fine and well for the amatuer photographer, probably lots of fun for him or her. But if you're the pro photog being sued because you didn't get the shot when a bunch of the clinet's guests were a little over enthusiastic with their wedding photography, it's not funny at all all.

    3. Many amateur photogs have no idea on how to behave at a wedding ceremony. They climb all over the altar at church, shoot in the middle of prayer etc, etc.

    4. with one or two strobes going off, that's not a rpblem, but imagine have 20 aunts and uncles shooting while you have 2 minutes to get the family portrait done. You have other photogs directing your shoot, flashes fill your frame, and a difficult time explaning to your lcinet why the picture did not turn out.

    All I can say is that from so many posts on this board about bringing more sophisticated equipment to intimidate the photographer..come on guys, do you really think a pro photo gives a crap about what some amatuer is using? At the end of the day, pro photogs understand photography is a business, and we will try and get away with the cheapest equipment possible. Pros would hopefully understadn it's not the gear the produces the pictures.

    I'm not at all in awe of the amatuer who turns up with 2 1ds MkII and gets paid nothing to shoot a wedding. I am in awe of the wedding photog who turns up with 1 D100 and gets paid 15k to shoot the wedding. Now that's a pro who understands profit margins.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    Hey Nick, while I must say that the photographer was rude telling you off and blocking your shots, it is not at all uncommon for wedding photographers to have a clause in their contact stating that they are to be the only photographers at the event.

    In my wedding contracts, I have a clause stating that I am to be the only official photographer and any secondary photographers can only be employees of my company. Am I strict about this? Yes. And in the event where you do become a pro photog one day, my advice for you is to have a clause like that in your contract as well for the following reason

    1. Believe it or not, you photographing a posed scene, ie family portraits setup by another photographer is in effect considered a copyright violation. In some markets you can be sued over this.

    2. So many threads on this site have talked about one upping the main photographer in pictures, style, equipment etc. All fine and well for the amatuer photographer, probably lots of fun for him or her. But if you're the pro photog being sued because you didn't get the shot when a bunch of the clinet's guests were a little over enthusiastic with their wedding photography, it's not funny at all all.

    3. Many amateur photogs have no idea on how to behave at a wedding ceremony. They climb all over the altar at church, shoot in the middle of prayer etc, etc.

    4. with one or two strobes going off, that's not a rpblem, but imagine have 20 aunts and uncles shooting while you have 2 minutes to get the family portrait done. You have other photogs directing your shoot, flashes fill your frame, and a difficult time explaning to your lcinet why the picture did not turn out.

    All I can say is that from so many posts on this board about bringing more sophisticated equipment to intimidate the photographer..come on guys, do you really think a pro photo gives a crap about what some amatuer is using? At the end of the day, pro photogs understand photography is a business, and we will try and get away with the cheapest equipment possible. Pros would hopefully understadn it's not the gear the produces the pictures.

    I'm not at all in awe of the amatuer who turns up with 2 1ds MkII and gets paid nothing to shoot a wedding. I am in awe of the wedding photog who turns up with 1 D100 and gets paid 15k to shoot the wedding. Now that's a pro who understands profit margins.

    nowadays i tell ppl off too! esp on point 4, nicely!

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Redhill
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    On the other side of the story, I was shooting video for a friend's wedding (that is the official videographer). I am working in a 'paid' capacity, although I waived all payments from such a close friend. Obviously, being rather well off, the relatives have video cams and cameras. As they walk down the aisle, I was shooting and walking, etc... and certainly blocked the view of some uncle. When our eyes met later, he gave me a REALLY dirty look, like "you idiot, don't even know that you are blocking me?" I couldn't care less. Then, half way through the ceremony, at some critical kiss, vows, whatever (I can't remember) he jumped out, went in front of my camera and grabbed the shot, and while I waited for him to move away after his shot, he just stood there and turn at me and smiled real big "I have that, you don't!" He even started discussing his wonderful move with the guys near him. I thought, "OK, it's your relative/friend's wedding, and I have it on tape that you blocked my view." When I edit the video, I'll remove that sequence for the sake of my friend, but one important portion will be on his tape and not mine, hence missing from the final cut. Too bad.

    The resolution to this issue is very simple, everyone should recognise the official photographer and videographer and give them the right-of-way. And everyone will get to shoot comfortably and happily.

    As for posing and copyright, YES, poses and seating arrangements can be copyright because it is an artistic arrangement. But if the professional is confident and sure, it should not be a problem for thers to grab a few shots, too. I remember one pro who announced, "OK every shoot all you want, then give me 10 seconds for my shot".

  6. #66
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    pro photogs understand photography is a business, and we will try and get away with the cheapest equipment possible. Pros would hopefully understadn it's not the gear the produces the pictures.

    I'm not at all in awe of the amatuer who turns up with 2 1ds MkII and gets paid nothing to shoot a wedding. I am in awe of the wedding photog who turns up with 1 D100 and gets paid 15k to shoot the wedding. Now that's a pro who understands profit margins.

    Hi ckuang,
    You're right on.

  7. #67

    Default

    [QUOTE=insomia]
    I can see you are really really sorry that you could not show your mojo. Please note that even when you tried to when you thought the ang mo female photog (amfp) was other wise pre occupied, you found that she could see the moment before you and get the shot. You should thank her for teaching you about some of your weak points and learn from her how to spot the moment and be there when it happens. Its not about equipment, its about the skills to use the equipment.
    QUOTE]

    from what i read abt nickmak comments, i believe it is he who was capturing the moment and she(amfp) took the opportunity to barge in for the shot. that shows that he have the 'eye' and she did not.

  8. #68

    Default

    Wow....so many pros here foruming and giving top advice and thesis quality essays. I tot year end should be pretty hot for weddings and nearly every day should have biz.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    maybe she is just not happy that u are here. nothing to do with paranoid.

    u know, some people are hard to understand one.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    1st, it takes two hands to clap. 2nd, it's unfair to talk back behind the photographer when she's not able to defend herself. Anyway, come to think of it, the photographer is a paid photographer and she have a job to do, and her reputation to keep. And you do not. So at the end of the day, you can angrily curse nd swear in this forum, while she can happily singing her way to the bank...

    It's take more than just skills to be a paid photographer. It's PR, thick skin etc that makes a photographer successful. And chances are, you probably are at fault too, or being too sensitive ( aka petty) ... It's probably that you wasn't aware of it.

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    I related this incident to share. I attended one of my army mate's wedding when the bridegroom's friend who happened to be the backup photographer, swearing and cursing the main photographer of blocking his views etc. Whoever he managed to talk to during the reception, he would talk bad about the main photographer etc. It came to a point when my friend's uncle took him aside and told him that he should leave and not disrupt the wedding reception, becos it was very obivous to all that he was the "trouble-maker", and getting in the way of the main photographer.

    There's always two sides of a story. The fellow was "busy" thinking that the main photographer was blocking his views that he in turn tried means to "outsmart" the main photographer. And all along, he kept on thinking he was the "vitimised" one until someone told him off!

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    1. Believe it or not, you photographing a posed scene, ie family portraits setup by another photographer is in effect considered a copyright violation. In some markets you can be sued over this.
    you may be right about this. but what if the violator happened to be your client's father? i dont think its a good idea to sue

  13. #73
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    you may be right about this. but what if the violator happened to be your client's father? i dont think its a good idea to sue
    There's a chinese saying, "When you beat the dog, you must see first who is the owner"

    I believe the main photograher has more brains than just to sue anybody.


    Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    I related this incident to share. I attended one of my army mate's wedding when the bridegroom's friend who happened to be the backup photographer, swearing and cursing the main photographer of blocking his views etc. Whoever he managed to talk to during the reception, he would talk bad about the main photographer etc. It came to a point when my friend's uncle took him aside and told him that he should leave and not disrupt the wedding reception, becos it was very obivous to all that he was the "trouble-maker", and getting in the way of the main photographer.

    There's always two sides of a story. The fellow was "busy" thinking that the main photographer was blocking his views that he in turn tried means to "outsmart" the main photographer. And all along, he kept on thinking he was the "vitimised" one until someone told him off!
    I won't mind being scolded nor cursed, but these are the exact people I dislike, not because they curse nor scold, but because they attempt to get in the main photographer's way. Esp when the main photog wants to move, but is unable because is being blocked and out of courtesy, one doesn't just push the other photog aside and assume position.

    Kissing of butts is always happening for backup photographers. When you backups turn official, you will know exactly what I mean.

    As long as you're a guest and not official photographer, quit complaining go out there and take some shots!

    YEAH!

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    4. with one or two strobes going off, that's not a rpblem, but imagine have 20 aunts and uncles shooting while you have 2 minutes to get the family portrait done. You have other photogs directing your shoot, flashes fill your frame, and a difficult time explaning to your lcinet why the picture did not turn out.
    I think you can get more than 2 min to shoot the family portrait.

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    I'm not at all in awe of the amatuer who turns up with 2 1ds MkII and gets paid nothing to shoot a wedding. I am in awe of the wedding photog who turns up with 1 D100 and gets paid 15k to shoot the wedding. Now that's a pro who understands profit margins.
    If a pro really get paid 15K just for this wedding and minus away herairfare+hotel(if she never stay with the couple), her profit will be around 10K which is good enough to keep her mouth shut as se can always get a 1D MKII for herself.

  15. #75
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Tan
    I think you can get more than 2 min to shoot the family portrait.
    Would you sit there and wait 2 mins whilst the photog readies himself for the shot?



    Quote Originally Posted by John Tan
    If a pro really get paid 15K just for this wedding and minus away herairfare+hotel(if she never stay with the couple), her profit will be around 10K which is good enough to keep her mouth shut as se can always get a 1D MKII for herself.
    That's not the issue here... you're going out of the topic

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    975

    Default

    If I am not wrong, western wedding photographers charge one fee for their skill and another fee for the pictures that the couple will buy. So she has to ensure that not only does she satisfy her client (ie your teacher) that she has good photographs, but also sufficient photographs for the client to purchase. Therefore, family portraits are not a free for all.

  17. #77
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderlilz
    If I am not wrong, western wedding photographers charge one fee for their skill and another fee for the pictures that the couple will buy. So she has to ensure that not only does she satisfy her client (ie your teacher) that she has good photographs, but also sufficient photographs for the client to purchase. Therefore, family portraits are not a free for all.
    Yep. That is correct

  18. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Tan
    I think you can get more than 2 min to shoot the family portrait.



    If a pro really get paid 15K just for this wedding and minus away herairfare+hotel(if she never stay with the couple), her profit will be around 10K which is good enough to keep her mouth shut as se can always get a 1D MKII for herself.

    that not the point my friend. You set up the shoot to let everyone come in and buffet in your setup, how do you keep your subjects attention?

  19. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I won't mind being scolded nor cursed, but these are the exact people I dislike, not because they curse nor scold, but because they attempt to get in the main photographer's way. Esp when the main photog wants to move, but is unable because is being blocked and out of courtesy, one doesn't just push the other photog aside and assume position.
    YEAH!
    Yeah, man! Utimately, the wedding couple only cares about is the main photographer's photos. Not the backup. So even if the backup photographer's view is been blocked, so what? Who cares? Certainly not the couple, although they may said otherwise, so as not to offend anyone.

  20. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    that not the point my friend. You set up the shoot to let everyone come in and buffet in your setup, how do you keep your subjects attention?
    A pro will know what to do. In fact, in a wedding, it seem like most know who is the main photographer. The guy with the confident. Can't miss that, else how to be pro? Cheers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •