Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding photography experience...

wahlau

1500 pounds ?

how about you give me 750 pounds, i take over her job, guarantee i'm a nice guy and won't care if the backup takes photos too

Well she must have been one hell of an insecure bitch. Its unfortunate that your first wedding shoot experience turned out like this. Just out of curiousity, what setup was she using to the extent of being threaten by a phone camera?

How is your teacher found this unprofessional wedding photographer? Their friends? Or online? All the way from US to Thailand? But why? Don't tell me Thailand do not have any pro at all?

Oh... did you mention she's a pro from the US? So she's ang moh?

These pros have high standards in that they view themselves as wanting to do a well-deserved job. It doesn't matter what equipment you have (1D MII or f/2.8 or what not) to intimidate her.

I read some wedding photography books and the author mentioned they are quite 'afraid' of the so-called backup photographers cos for eg, when your flash and their flash go off at the same time, overexposure can happen. And sometimes, you are 'just in the way'. But usually he'd politely tell them to hold their cameras when need to.

But still, that didnt give her the right to be so rude to you. Maybe she just got bad experiences b4.

For pros out there, do you feel hampered when you're trying to get good shots but you are 'challenged' by amateurs hovering with their cams around you? Personally, if I were a pro employed to do the job, I wouldnt really like others to interfere cos anyway, it's a job I've been given to do and I don't really want anyone to block good spots or just be in the way. Otherwise, why pay me right? But other than that, it's free for anyone to take whatever pics they like after those 'crucial' moments.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Oh... did you mention she's a pro from the US? So she's ang moh?

These pros have high standards in that they view themselves as wanting to do a well-deserved job. It doesn't matter what equipment you have (1D MII or f/2.8 or what not) to intimidate her.

I read some wedding photography books and the author mentioned they are quite 'afraid' of the so-called backup photographers cos for eg, when your flash and their flash go off at the same time, overexposure can happen. And sometimes, you are 'just in the way'. But usually he'd politely tell them to hold their cameras when need to.

But still, that didnt give her the right to be so rude to you. Maybe she just got bad experiences b4.

For pros out there, do you feel hampered when you're trying to get good shots but you are 'challenged' by amateurs hovering with their cams around you? Personally, if I were a pro employed to do the job, I wouldnt really like others to interfere cos anyway, it's a job I've been given to do and I don't really want anyone to block good spots or just be in the way. Otherwise, why pay me right? But other than that, it's free for anyone to take whatever pics they like after those 'crucial' moments.
    I knew I was the backup photographer so I did know that I won't wanna get in her way. Otherwise my teacher won't get the best pictures right?

Well, I didn't get in her way because she was letting me find the best position to shoot and then when she saw a good shot she would block my view completely. Basically I would say she stole my shot. She does not do anything and takes all the credit for it... Also I couldn't have intimidated her because I didn't use flash, cuz I prefer to shoot without flash and also even if she was intimidated by the equipment which i highly doubt, she had a suitcase full of lenses and cameras being dragged around by her assistant. If she's so equipment concious I think she's not thinking about the picture then... That's something I have grown out of some time back already.

I think she shouldn't have been so rude to my teacher's father. How can she tell him not to shoot with his puny little Nokia 7250 and the person who's getting married is his son?

I had already asked what a backup photographer does in my earlier threads and I had some good responses and did exactly what I was told as it was my first time doing weddings... but I didn't expect this to happen so that's why I was a little shocked by the replies.... Sigh, even the official videographer (Video person) was shrugged off by the photographer! He was also not happy with this...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

accidentally pour drink over her camera lor.. like 'oops'.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    Ah.. yes... photographers are all 'evil' people ....

Wow that's funny! She's afraid that you will get good shots? i guess she can't even get good shots!

And i think been a backup photographer or whatever, has the right to shoot anything they like! As long as it's nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    Best if it is a professional range camera body and lenses, then can test whether it is "weather" seal proof.

Quote Originally Posted by scanner
    Best if it is a professional range camera body and lenses, then can test whether it is "weather" seal proof.
    Hmmm... 2 EOS 10D's, 2 EOS 3's, and 1 EOS 1?
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    I knew my setup was rather big..1DMKII, 70-200mm f2.8L, 550EX, 300D, 17-40L...
    Phew... Assuming I'm holding a 10D for wedding photography, I see a backup photographer holding MKII I oso will abit

But den again, if he want to shoot, by all means go ahead. As long as 2 flashes dun pop simultaneously.

My belief (though I never went for these wedding shoots before): Main photographer has right of way. Backup photographer moves in when there's space. Both shld not infringe on each other's creativity space. If there's something the backup photographer spots, he has the right of way.

Of cos, common sense: No 2 flash at 1 go.

Wah, from the way you described her, she really is a bitch. If it was me, most probably i can't stand her too. Can't imagine she as the main photog is busy eating instead of taking photos. Maybe the 'sah wah tih kah' too delicious

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by scanner

Please don't remind me

*continue cleaning my UV filter*

If I read you correctly the main photog even while seemly at rest can materialise and capture the momenet before you can - which means one thing she is doing her job.

Some photogs have it in their contracts that there is to be no other photog - this is for various reasons some economical some practical. They are paid to do a job, they have to delivery the goods. Of course they will try to arrange things to ensure a good outcome.

So your point being? You were bullied?

Quote Originally Posted by LimCB
    So your point being? You were bullied?

Walao..He is SHARING HIS EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm...actually i cant really understand y the photo got so worked up over a backup....

if i get married and i employ 2 photog then how?? probably they will start clobbering if all photog are like this....

photog should respect the wishes of the couple dun they.... since ya teacher was ok wif u being a backup then there shouldnt be any issues...

looking on the other hand...perhaps ya teacher didnt tell her tt u were gonna be ard la...to some pros it may be like an insult to their skill....probably she was juz havin a bad day??

the dad's camera thing is insanity...i decline to comment about tt haha...

in life give and take la...if u are able to let live with this...then u would have shown wisdom and professionalism beyond ya age....

cheer up ya....

Hi people,

No offend, I think you guys miss out something, the way ang moh photographers do things are different from here, especially the high-end one. Mostly they ask for exclusive right and be the only photographer of the event, some will ask the couple to sign a contract, in the event if any other photographer present at the sametime, they can ask this other photographer to leave the venue, or else this professional will stop photographing the event. Even a snap shot from 99 years old auntie Rosyís compact camera also not allow.

Nickmak, feel sorry for your unpleasant experience, but nevertheless this is how the way they practice, more over is your teacher hire her, even you feel she donít shoot as well as you, you donít wish your teachers end up with no pictures right?

People, there are many reasons for them to practice this way, but from the overall feedback and I donít think is wise to share here, for those interested to find out more, look under professional practice or business practice of wedding photographer forum.

Good Night

Quote Originally Posted by insomia
    If I read you correctly the main photog even while seemly at rest can materialise and capture the momenet before you can - which means one thing she is doing her job.

Some photogs have it in their contracts that there is to be no other photog - this is for various reasons some economical some practical. They are paid to do a job, they have to delivery the goods. Of course they will try to arrange things to ensure a good outcome.
    Hi insomia,

Miss out you post just now.

Yes, these are some of reasons. When you're paid to shoot, some one get in your way and you miss the moment, how would you feel? When you can sell some nice photos the couple for extra $$, but they can get free from a friend, how would you feel again?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Hi insomia,

Miss out you post just now.

Yes, these are some of reasons. When you're paid to shoot, some one get in your way and you miss the moment, how would you feel? When you can sell some nice photos the couple for extra $$, but they can get free from a friend, how would you feel again?
    Well, how would u feel if u got the right angle and the moment and just being a bit slow on the finger-work, and then when u all done, the shot is still there, you end up staring at the main photographer's butt? Great isn't it? That's the frustration I'm having... I know I'm a bit slow when setting myself up, but really, if she could also let me have the liberty of getting my own shots too... I didn't get in her way at all, she was munching away at the food (Sorry have to repeat myself). She would do all her finger-work right AFTER she got in front of me... My teacher had asked me to shoot and was willing to pay me. I said I wanted to experience how wedding photography works, but I guess I started experiencing wedding photography on the wrong foot!

Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by nickmak; 25th October 2004 at 11:28 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast