Thread: WTF?

Default WTF?

Here we are fending off cheapos and freebos who came here looking to exploit fellow photographers by paying peanuts and to the extend of asking for FREE services.

The fight is a hard and slow war but I believe the will is strong YET we had one joker who openly offering FREE services?!
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao
    Here we are fending off cheapos and freebos who came here looking to exploit fellow photographers by paying peanuts and to the extend of asking for FREE services.

The fight is a hard and slow war but I believe the will is strong YET we had one joker who openly offering FREE services?!
    What to do.. There is always a black sheep in the family

Default Re: WTF?

it takes two hands to clap.
    if there is nobody go around offering services for free,
    no one will come here asking for free photography services.

we can put a stop to freeloaders making such requests, preventing our photographers from being exploited,
    but we can't stop anyone here from offer photography services for free,
    as they are many members think shooting for free is a noble act, some says they want to build portfolio, some says they want to gain experience.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but going around to offering free services is just the most easiest way, and also the laziest way I must say.
    since there are too many photographers around, and too little decent jobs available, it seem offering cheap and free services is the only way out.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    it takes two hands to clap.
    if there is nobody go around offering services for free,
    no one will come here asking for free photography services.

we can put a stop to freeloaders making such requests, preventing our photographers from being exploited,
    but we can't stop anyone here from offer photography services for free,
    as they are many members think shooting for free is a noble act, some says they want to build portfolio, some says they want to gain experience.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but going around to offering free services is just the most easiest way, and also the laziest way I must say.
    since there are too many photographers around, and too little decent jobs available, it seem offering cheap and free services is the only way out.
    agree with you, but depend on how you act on it, like me, i don't know whether my act is right or wrong. what i did was, PM those photographer(in business) who already got an ongoing project, and i ask permission to follow them and take my picture, offering FREE service also, of course, if they think that my composition is good and they want the picture, be it!..... But i will never post in public for seeker..... so, am i right to do that?

What does all these have in similarities?

- Gambling addicts who borrow from loansharks, jolly well know that they can never win enough to pay back.
    - Hookers who willingly sell their body for materialistic fulfillment
    - Drug addicts who knows too well how bad drug damage effects will have and yet try for fun and get hooked.

Answer - Fan Jian (犯贱)
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by theandycreation View Post
    agree with you, but depend on how you act on it, like me, i don't know whether my act is right or wrong. what i did was, PM those photographer(in business) who already got an ongoing project, and i ask permission to follow them and take my picture, offering FREE service also, of course, if they think that my composition is good and they want the picture, be it!..... But i will never post in public for seeker..... so, am i right to do that?
    yes, this is apprenticeship, let the pros be your mentors.

however, it is not easy to find a mentor, as most photographers are super busy.
    so most juniors are just going around offering free and cheap service, the failing rate is so high as most of them will not last more than a year of two.
    even they able last for until then, those photographers come out about the same time as them but go under apprenticeship are already charging much higher rate and with better experience.

if you think of making some quick bucks in photography, the days are long gone,

the competition very intense, you are competing with GWC, soccer mums, weekend warriors and many others in the low-end markets.
    they are coming wave after wave, there is no way anyone can survive by offering free and cheap services in this situation.

your passion will be grind off in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    yes, this is apprenticeship, let the pros be your mentors.

however, it is not easy to find a mentor, as most photographers are super busy.
    so most juniors are just going around offering free and cheap service, the failing rate is so high as most of them will not last more than a year of two.
    even they able last for until then, those photographers come out about the same time as them but go under apprenticeship are already charging much higher rate and with better experience.
    ya.. i agree with that

Like my math teacher used to say: Whenever you make mistakes that you aren't supposed to make, you are either careless or clueless.

Those that know the rules and make the mistake on purpose ought to be shot.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Like my math teacher used to say: Whenever you make mistakes that you aren't supposed to make, you are either careless or clueless.

Those that know the rules and make the mistake on purpose ought to be shot.