Thread: Questions on the Wimberly

vince123123
    Guests

Default Questions on the Wimberly

Hi to all Wimberly gimbal users, I just like to get some information these heads before i take the plunge (abt 500-1000 per plunge hehe).

1. Whats the difference between the Wimberly and the Wimberly Sidekick (other than the fact that one requires a ballhead and the other doesn't). In particular, does the original Wimberly have any operational advantages compared to the Sidekick?

2. Should one always get a C-30 clamp to put on the original wimberly? I was looking at some other clamps which uses levers instead of a screw knob (e.g. really rightstuff). Am wondering whether its advisable to get an alternative clamp rather than the C-30? or is the C-30 the clamp of choice with the wimberly.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Hi to all Wimberly gimbal users, I just like to get some information these heads before i take the plunge (abt 500-1000 per plunge hehe).

1. Whats the difference between the Wimberly and the Wimberly Sidekick (other than the fact that one requires a ballhead and the other doesn't). In particular, does the original Wimberly have any operational advantages compared to the Sidekick?
    Here's the descriptions for both on the Wimberley website: (www.tripodhead.com)

"The Wimberley Head is a gimbal-type mechanism which allows you to perfectly balance and easily manipulate a long lens. The Wimberley Head is ideally suited for lenses similar in size to a 600mm F4. It will, however, adjust to fit virtually any telephoto lens with a rotation collar."

"The Sidekick is a compact mechanism which temporarily converts your ball head into a gimbal head for use with telephoto lenses smaller than a 600mm F4."

The Wimberley Sidekick is recommended for lenses of sizes from 300mm f2.8 up all the way to a 500mm f4. The full Wimberley head is recommended for really big lenses like the 600mm f4 or 400mm f2.8.

The advantages of the Sidekick over the full head, especially if you don't have a really big lens, is that it is smaller, lighter and more compact, and can be stowed away in your bag when you don't need it. Very useful especially if you wanna use it for telephoto one moment, then need to switch to ballhead quickly to take landscape shots. The one disadvantage I can think of is that you have to mount your lens plate/foot sideways to the clamp, which might increase chances of your lens accidentally sliding out of the clamp. For the full Wimberley head you mount your lens plate as you would do on your normal ballhead, so less chances of your setup sliding out and dropping. So it is important to make sure the clamp knob is always tightened at all times.

The full Wimberley head is quite heavy, bulky/large, costs twice as much as a Sidekick, and you need a good sturdy tripod to hold both it and a big lens. For 600mm f4 class lens, look no further, this is the gimbal head to get for it. Quite a few respected nature photographers use and endorse both Wimberley heads.

So in summary, if you are using anything less than a 500mm f4, its a no brainer, get the Sidekick. If its a 500mm f4 class lens, either the Sidekick or full Wimberley head would do. For 600mm f4/400mm f2.8 class lens, get the full Wimberley head.

2. Should one always get a C-30 clamp to put on the original wimberly? I was looking at some other clamps which uses levers instead of a screw knob (e.g. really rightstuff). Am wondering whether its advisable to get an alternative clamp rather than the C-30? or is the C-30 the clamp of choice with the wimberly.
    Am using the Sidekick currently. I think the clamp on it is the C-10, need to check it up. My advice would be to use the original clamp with screw knob provided by Wimberley. So far I've been using mine with no problems whatsoever. Holds the lens plate very firmly when the knob is tensioned.