Thread: Song for Photo Montage

Default Song for Photo Montage

Hi

I have been approached by a frd to help her to put together a photo montage for her wedding. She picked the following song to be used in her photo montage video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9KHo9z86rA

Understand that we need to apply a license for the use of the song, I have written in to RIPS to enquire about license. The reply from RIPS is that I'm not required to apply for a license from them as they don't represent that record label. When asked if I will need to check with other agencies for the use of the song, their reply is I have to check whether the label has a Singpoare office and that if it is so than I would need to take up a license from them.

Such vague answers frustrate me and my frd a lot, as we have no idea how to go about checking if there is a local office here.

Do anyone know if I can use this song for photomontage?

Thanks.

Default Re: Song for Photo Montage

Quote Originally Posted by cesoon View Post
    Hi

I have been approached by a frd to help her to put together a photo montage for her wedding. She picked the following song to be used in her photo montage video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9KHo9z86rA

Understand that we need to apply a license for the use of the song, I have written in to RIPS to enquire about license. The reply from RIPS is that I'm not required to apply for a license from them as they don't represent that record label. When asked if I will need to check with other agencies for the use of the song, their reply is I have to check whether the label has a Singpoare office and that if it is so than I would need to take up a license from them.

Such vague answers frustrate me and my frd a lot, as we have no idea how to go about checking if there is a local office here.

Do anyone know if I can use this song for photomontage?

Thanks.
    Don't take my word for it, but thus far it appears that currently RIPS is the only one who is training their crossbows on the wedding market. If they tell you usage of this song is immune to their arrows...
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Blog Entries

You need to check with MPS and COMPASS as well.

RIPS covers the record company + singer.
    MPS covers the lyrics and composer.
    COMPASS covers public performance or broadcast.

For a one time use, IIRC it costs 100 (excluding GST) for one song for MPS, to be applied by the couple who wants to use it in their video. If they plan to play the video in any hotel or events hall, and that establishment did not pay for an annual performance license from COMPASS, the couple will have to pay for a one time performance license which cost $100 to COMPASS. If RIPS represent the record label of the song the couple wants to use, it will cost another 100... So normally the total will be 300 + GST.

Since RIPS say they do not represent Israel's record label, you do not have to pay RIPS. But you still need to check with MPS and COMPASS, as well as the record company in question. And none of these licenses allow you to put the video with the song into youtube or any online streaming site.. That is a separate license from COMPASS... and you will need to get the annual licenses from MPS as well... (and RIPS, if they represent the record label).

Troublesome and expensive I know... that is why we have decided to go other routes for music needs.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 5th October 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Don't take my word for it, but thus far it appears that currently RIPS is the only one who is training their crossbows on the wedding market. If they tell you usage of this song is immune to their arrows...
    COMPASS is also pretty strict about it, if the hotels or events hall did not pay for annual performance licenses.

just to share... u can also buy and use music from www.triplescoopmusic.com