Thread: MBS Light Show

Default MBS Light Show

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition and exposure of the shot

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To highlight the colourful laser show and also interaction with the moving bumboats

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    it was 2sec, f4.8, iso400 exposure..

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like how the laser was coincindetally aiming at one of the passing boats, like a laser shot from a big ship. Appreaciate any comments or critiques on the shot above.

Default Re: MBS Light Show

I think the crop can go slightly tighter. You can easily achieve rule of thirds but I see you didn't do it. The water can be smoother using long exposure to make it less distracting and also remove the right bottom stray of light trails due to the moving boat.
    Since you are in the digital world now, I see you can superimpose a long exposure of the water and a fast exposure of the light works.

It is a okay capture, but I don't feel it's awesome
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok
    I think the crop can go slightly tighter. You can easily achieve rule of thirds but I see you didn't do it. The water can be smoother using long exposure to make it less distracting and also remove the right bottom stray of light trails due to the moving boat.
    Since you are in the digital world now, I see you can superimpose a long exposure of the water and a fast exposure of the light works.

It is a okay capture, but I don't feel it's awesome
    hmm will try a tighter crop next time... but i think my landscape shot is in rule of thirds...
    Last edited by scholesville; 6th October 2011 at 09:50 PM.

should have wait for the boat to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    should have wait for the boat to pass.
    Not necessarily.

If shot was taken with tripod, another way is to combine 2 shots. The first is a relatively short exposure (with higher ISO) to capture the light rays with such intensity. If you do low ISO shot, the quick motion of the lights cannot be captured, and you will get much fainter lines. The second is a longer exposure with low ISO, which can be taken even after the show. The two can be combined via layering in Photoshop afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

Not necessarily.

If shot was taken with tripod, another way is to combine 2 shots. The first is a relatively short exposure (with higher ISO) to capture the light rays with such intensity. If you do low ISO shot, the quick motion of the lights cannot be captured, and you will get much fainter lines. The second is a longer exposure with low ISO, which can be taken even after the show. The two can be combined via layering in Photoshop afterward.
    hmm interesting idea... will try this method out next time..

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Not necessarily.

ok, i never thought of this haha.

Quote Originally Posted by scholesville View Post
    u can trust him haha, i learnt alot from him
    Last edited by sinned79; 5th October 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scholesville View Post
    If you want, you can also combine different parts of the light show to make a more impressive light display. YOu would need to blend it properly though, some of the lights are colored and can add different casts to the atmosphere.

Example (something I did earlier): http://www.pbase.com/edutilos/image/137735503

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

If you want, you can also combine different parts of the light show to make a more impressive light display. YOu would need to blend it properly though, some of the lights are colored and can add different casts to the atmosphere.

Example (something I did earlier): http://www.pbase.com/edutilos/image/137735503
    Great blend of photos... definitely will try it out...

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Not necessarily.

Best of both world!!!