Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bangkok! What to Buy? Buy? Buy?

i heard fake designer goods and fake branded furniture is cheap here, of course its a man paradise you know what i mean. My friend just return from there. A whole tour group of japanese tourist and all are men. they bring two or three up into their rooms. WOW!

i never been there too, wanna go next year.

Ok, going to bangkok is not complete without the "traditional Thai Massage"

Some recommendations as I had just been there.

Visit Cabbages and Condom, interesting concept restaurant. Food not bad.
    Ayuuthaya ruins is quite cool.
    Grand Palace is a must, if you have not been there.
    For mkt, a less busy one will be at suan luan night market(not sure spelling) at Lumphini mrt station. Almost same price as Chattuchak but much more spacious and cooling.
    lumphini park just to escape from the hustle and bustle of the traffic and city..you see bodybuilders training in an open gym! and adults doing aerobics..
    Take a ride on the chao phraya boat to enjoy the view of the river and hop off at Chinatown..
    Take one of those unique longtail boats (they shelther the boats with canvas sheet on the left and right, because the water is so dirty and smelly, its good luck to you if the water splashes on you.) But its a cool experience.
    heidi thai massage at soi 12. sukhumvit near sukhumvit plaza, charges only 300 thb for 2 hrs thai massage =$12! abt 8 times cheaper than in Spore!
    I think there are some famous tailors along ambassador hotel (near nana bts). some are award winning.
    will ask my thai friends for the names of the restaurants they brought me too..cheap and good, more for locals...
    Last edited by novello76; 17th November 2004 at 01:08 AM.

http://www.pbase.com/xiong/bangkok_t...0704_to_050704

my pics from my july trip,can at least see what to expect.
    generally it's very easy to walk about just by looking at the map.

Taxi there is not recommended as one traffic light can wait for 15mins,unlike singapore.i fell asleep in the taxi.Best is to take BTS.

Stay at Asia hotel recommended as very convenient.

thanks guys for the advice and tips

Blog Entries

isn't the nikon factory there? Back door sales??? While you are there why don't you see if the prices are better there. Buy buy buy

Don't forget to bring your sense of humor and good-natured-ness with you ... people do seem to smile a lot more there, and more willing to "engage". You'll find it a refreshing change from the culture over here.

And as with anywhere you go, you should still be careful with your possessions. Don't flash things around, try to look poor unless you want to walk into the Paragon equivalents in WTC and Emporium.

Have some coins ready all the time, you will find some pitiful beggars around the streets. I know, conventional wisdom says don't give money to them or a whole platoon will run out from where they're hiding and ambush you for the rest of your change ... that's not true, and you get the feeling they are grateful. I try to do it as much as I can when I visit.

When in Mah Boon Krong (MBK), go to the Pizza Company (like a Pizza Hut), and try the Tom Yam Pizza. Very nice. And if you get addicted, you can get it again at the airport just before you fly off, there's a branch there

Want cheap T-shirts ? Chatuchak is good, but very hot in the middle of the day. A good alternative is Silom Rd at night. And remember that 90% of the fun is in the bargaining. Not sure if you got a good deal ? Just buy one first, walk down a few stores, and use the price you paid as a gauge for getting it even cheaper. They're all selling the same things anyway ...

If you like chin-chow (nice and cooling for a hot day), try the variety there ... very sweet, and a bit chewy like konnyaku.

And speaking of sweet, don't forget the ice coffee, ice tea and nam som (orange juice) ...

Another interesting thing you can get from MBK ... freeze-dried durian. I think you can get it from the 5th floor, but can't remember exactly which store, you may need to walk around to see.

As for staying there, a nice and reasonable hotel is Novotel at Siam Square, but a decent budget one that I've stayed in before is the D'ma. It's a bit out of the way from the usual attractions, but still in the middle of the city, and there's a bunch of hawker carts downstairs every evening. Try out the Paad Thai (fried noodles) and steamed bread dipped in kaya & coconut milk. And of course wash it down with nam som.

And above all, have fun !

The camera shop at MBK is called fotofile... that is on the first floor... something like the camera side of CP... go to i think the fourth floor and then its like the camera support (tripods.. etc...) of CP... They are one of the most famous shops in BKK...

The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

hmm...since we're on this topic...wanna ask...a friend of mine actually went there to make a full suit...measure and choose thai silk material on the 1st day...then collect in abt 3-4days...before he come back...anyone had any experience in this...or heard of such deals?..its very much cheeper making suits there rite?....compared with s'pore tat is....heh

Quote Originally Posted by kelster
    hmm...since we're on this topic...wanna ask...a friend of mine actually went there to make a full suit...measure and choose thai silk material on the 1st day...then collect in abt 3-4days...before he come back...anyone had any experience in this...or heard of such deals?..its very much cheeper making suits there rite?....compared with s'pore tat is....heh
    Way way cheaper i think... Its good quality too... just beware of getting ripped off by the local shops...

If you have any problems with the language, you can ask me...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Way way cheaper i think... Its good quality too... just beware of getting ripped off by the local shops...

If you have any problems with the language, you can ask me...
    heh...thnx dude...how long will you be in Bangkok??...I'll prob be visiting there sometime this year lah...will definitely keep you posted...kekekeke...wanted to get a good quality suit there lor...any reliable store to recommend here so others might benefit on the savings as well??...

Quote Originally Posted by kelster
    my uncle's frd is a tailor at this place XXX... LOL cant remember the name.. but near emporium...
    My mister made his thai silk suit (pants and suit) at only 2.2K baht!!!!
    wahahhaha
    cheap n gd.. we got it 2 days after the measurements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12