Thread: Need help to improve using manual lens

Smile Need help to improve using manual lens

Hi ,

I am new to posting and if any mistake , please advise, needed help with using manual lens.
    Hoya M135 f2.8 and Pentax KM50 f1.4

1. Hoya 135mm
    Photos I took outdoor seemed to have this hazy finish, I have tried stop down but the haziness still there.
    Please comment thanks in advance, posted a few photos

2. Also, with manual lens KM50 f1.4 , 9 out of ten shots seemed out of focus, tried back focussing to get the best but still not focus with more shots.
    Any advise welcome.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1163825...COKz7LK83ayiWg

Philip
    Last edited by PhilipKr35; 3rd October 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Default Re: Need help to improve using manual lens

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKr35 View Post
    Hi ,

I am new to posting and if any mistake , please advise, needed help with using manual lens.
    Hoya M135 f2.8 and Pentax KM50 f1.4

Hoya 135mm
    Photos I took outdoor seemed to have this hazy finish, I have tried stop down but the haziness still there.
    Please comment thanks in advance, posted a few photos 1,2,3 and 4

Also, with manual lens I owned here, 1-2 out of ten shots seemed out of focus, tried back focussing to get the best but still not focus with more shots.
    Any advise welcome.

Philip
    What is the condition outdoor. Haziness might be cause by UV... not sure if there are multicoating for your hoya lens. Maybe you can try to put on a UV filter... might help.

As for the focusing issue, do your manual lens have focus confirmation chip? If not, it might help to use live view whereby you can enlarge the pic and see if it was clear and sharp.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

I saw your gallery link earlier, the "haziness" in the shoots are due to overexposure. You did right by stopping down, I think image 54 should be close to the proper exposure. But it's not a good judgement of what the lense can do. You should choose to shoot something well lit and not a dark coloured cat under shade, with a noon sun overhead. That's causing a camera metering problem and potential flaring from the concrete pavement.

Secondly, if your lenses are second hand, you should get it checked out to see if there are any problems with the glass. Whether some coating is missing etc. I can't find any technical data for that Hoya lense but I find that when using cheap lenses meant for 35mm film with a digital body, the picture quality will suffer. How much difference can you tolerate is the question.

Hi foxtwo, Rhino123,

Thank you for the quick response, appreciate inputs and advise.
    Yes, you may be right , since the exposure is centre exposure and I half press on point at the dark cat body, I would try different subject outdoor and compare.
    Hoya lens did not have a UV filter, I would try to borrow a 52mm UV filter and test.

Focussing wise, on the 50mm f1.4 , I just found out zooming in and the first focus indicator lamp light up in view finder is the best so far. Will try live view as I never use the live view since I bought camera.

Thanks again.

You can also try a hood- although this doesn't look like lens flare.