Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to take good home pics?

Default How to take good home pics?

Hi all,

I am a real estate agent. I have problems taking nice pics of clients' homes. I am not a photography expert but do have a canon dslr... Any tips and tricks to share?

Thanks in advance!
    Pat
    Www.patriciakong.com

Default Re: How to take good home pics?

practice makes perfect. read books. read manual.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

u can refer to those architecture shots taken by professionals as reference, look at the angles usually used by them.

u need a wide angle lens (although your kit lens is more then sufficient) usually.

try shoot at AV mode from f8-f11 on a steady tripod.

the rest, u can read up.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

if you are tight for time, go to Services Wanted and engage one of the guys to do it. check their relevant portfolios first

meanwhile this thread is moved to Newbies Corner
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Patriciakonglc View Post
    Hi all,

I am a real estate agent. I have problems taking nice pics of clients' homes. I am not a photography expert but do have a canon dslr... Any tips and tricks to share?

Thanks in advance!
    Look through photos of home interiors to figure out what constitutes a good photograph, then try to emulate
    If all else fails, engage a professional so that you can concentrate on the most important part of your business: clinching the deal
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriciakonglc View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
    The first thing you need to do is to have an idea on how things can be done and you can do that by simply googling...

secondly, you can only take great shots of the interior if you first figure out what is it that makes you tick, not as a real estate agent, but as a buyer...

Last but not least, normally, in OZ, real estate agents will work with good photographer to "help" them creating a portfolio that allow them to sell really well. Unfortunately, knowing how the real estate market here, no one seems to convince themselves that good images on the good home is worth investing. So work with photographer that have a special set of skills that allow them to create a beautiful images to the estate that you are selling.

Real estate agent see the shots very differently from Interior/ Architectural photographer.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    The first thing you need to do is to have an idea on how things can be done and you can do that by simply googling...

secondly, you can only take great shots of the interior if you first figure out what is it that makes you tick, not as a real estate agent, but as a buyer...

Last but not least, normally, in OZ, real estate agents will work with good photographer to "help" them creating a portfolio that allow them to sell really well. Unfortunately, knowing how the real estate market here, no one seems to convince themselves that good images on the good home is worth investing. So work with photographer that have a special set of skills that allow them to create a beautiful images to the estate that you are selling.

Real estate agent see the shots very differently from Interior/ Architectural photographer.

Regards,

Hart
    There is a member in here who took very good Interior/ Architectural shots, his nick is Kit , u can pm him and ask him for his advise. and probably you want to pay him to attend some crash course on taking such photos (that is if he is available and got time to teach u).

Agree with Hart. What an estate agent needs in a photo is vastly different from an interior designer and also different from an architect.

I think unless the property is worth millions and catering to an exclusive clientele, an estate agent would not bother to pay for a photographer. I really cannot see a Hdb or condo agent spending for professional images.

With a p&s and following proper basic techniques it should be enough to get sufficiently decent photos. Why not post a few up so we can see what the issue is?

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    There is a member in here who took very good Interior/ Architectural shots, his nick is Kit , u can pm him and ask him for his advise. and probably you want to pay him to attend some crash course on taking such photos (that is if he is available and got time to teach u).
    Yes, I know who Kit is... his work is very good.

I do interior shots professionally when I was in Sydney for about 3 years... I was shooting about 70-80 properties a month back then... I only shoot about 20-30 of them a year in Singapore for a magazine if the house is interesting. My interest for interior photography lies on Black and White house as well as Peranakan Shophouse and some interesting modern estate... and most interesting project would have to be the interior of the super yatch...

I am not looking to do any interior photography as main part of my work.

Regards,

Hart

With the price of home and property going ever sky high, it is a wonder why most prefer to penny pinch and take their own photo.

Anyway,
    A good source of reference of good interior photographs are home decor sort of magazine.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79

That will be a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    @Agetan:

In your opinion, how does a real estate agent visualize differently from an Interior/ Architectural photographer ?
    Coming from a photographer angle, what would be your advice be ?

Thanks
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

as for me, i think real estate agents will try to capture most of the space that their camera can fit, more of like trying to capture as much as possible....but for a photographer, he might capture the main design features or interesting angle of the space/building to show the dynamic of the space/building. that's what i did for one of my own firm's completed ID project, capture the interior space from different angle or features instead of fitting the whole area into my view. my views

Personally I think the real estate agent may want to showcase some unique features of the property, such as:
    - quality furniture or finishings
    - special features (eg. high-tech intercom system, etc)
    - location (maybe include view of nearby good school or shopping centre when looking out window)

They may not be artistically-motivated decisions

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    Personally I think the real estate agent may want to showcase some unique features of the property, such as:
    - quality furniture or finishings
    - special features (eg. high-tech intercom system, etc)
    - location (maybe include view of nearby good school or shopping centre when looking out window)

They may not be artistically-motivated decisions
    The unique feature I can see from TS signature link are the unique names each property has on a wall photo. Mostly photos of such. Judging from the photo I am sure TS can handle the dslr quite well herself.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    The unique feature I can see from TS signature link are the unique names each property has on a wall photo. Mostly photos of such. Judging from the photo I am sure TS can handle the dslr quite well herself.
    wah.... investigator!
    anyway a lot of photos of exterior wall showing the condo names. Fairly straightforward.
    Dunno if it is worth the trouble to bring along a DSLR for such shots. Probably a simple PnS with a wide-angle lens will be sufficient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast