Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

Default Re: Ways to stablise a FOC tripod

OT : Had receive some inquiries about the "quality" of the "Canon Free Gift" Tripod, rather than responding to them individually I decided to post a photo taken using the tripod on the same day that I bought it.

And to some inquiries if I am selling it, the answer is I have already sold it off already as I find the ball-head lack of "fluidity" as mention before compared to my Fancier FT-592 (Bumble Bee) which had the same design but with a much better ball-head.

Shot taken using the Canon "Free Gift" Tripod (centre column extended with hook on load) with 5DM2 + 17-35mm : Shutter speed = 3 sec (Bulb mode), focal length = 17mm

thanks.. i do have a good tripod...but kinda too heavy for travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    OT : Had receive some inquiries about the "quality" of the "Canon Free Gift" Tripod, rather than responding to them individually I decided to post a photo taken using the tripod on the same day that I bought it.

And to some inquiries if I am selling it, the answer is I have already sold it off already as I find the ball-head lack of "fluidity" as mention before compared to my Fancier FT-592 (Bumble Bee) which had the same design but with a much better ball-head.
    OT: I want to sell mine... Can PM me the people who want to buy? Don't like the size, prefer to get a smaller one so I can put it inside my backpack and not carry 2 bags when travelling...
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    For night land scape portraits
    learn to shoot in bulb mode (long exposure), then u need not use the flash anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    learn to shoot in bulb mode (long exposure), then u need not use the flash anymore.
    ???? If like that then the subject also need to pose in bulb mode liao...

Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    ???? If like that then the subject also need to pose in bulb mode liao...
    my bad, maybe i did not mention clearly, more applicable to landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    OT: I want to sell mine... Can PM me the people who want to buy? Don't like the size, prefer to get a smaller one so I can put it inside my backpack and not carry 2 bags when travelling...
    Actually I already recommend them to get the Fancier FT-592 (Bumble Bee) which had a much better ball-head instead. In fact the Canon FOC tripod I sold to my friend, I told him numerous time about the ball-head issue yet he bought (I didn't earn a cent from the sales) it as he need it urgently for a trip.

I just got another tripod today, the Sirui T-025 -> http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php/p...series-tripods , which weight 0.8kg (including ball-head).
    Last edited by Anson; 2nd October 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Blog Entries

just becareful... my friend and i went out to shoot landscapes one day...

her tripod broke into 2 halfway. end up sharing mine... lool

not too trusting of freebies

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Actually I already recommend them to get the Fancier FT-592 (Bumble Bee) which had a much better ball-head instead. In fact the Canon FOC tripod I sold to my friend, I told him numerous time about the ball-head issue yet he bought (I didn't earn a cent from the sales) it as he need it urgently for a trip.

I just got another tripod today, the Sirui T-025 -> http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php/p...series-tripods , which weight 0.8kg (including ball-head).
    Ho much is this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anson

OT: how much was it?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Ho much is this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    OT: how much was it?
    My friend bought for me from Shanghai and my gf hand-carry back.. RM 990, This is my 4th full length (taller than 140mm) tripod, and it's lightest ( coz I am not getting any younger )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    ooo..ic..cos the hooks that i used is the "key-chain" hook. non-elastic...

but well, I don't use that tripod already, so haven't been using this method since then.
    Doesn't matter what hook you use. If you bag is not touching the ground, wind blows and you will see a pendulum... and you will get extra vibrations. One strong gust, and it will topple.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Doesn't matter what hook you use. If you bag is not touching the ground, wind blows and you will see a pendulum... and you will get extra vibrations. One strong gust, and it will topple.
    cos the hook and the bag i used, "just nice" about 2-3cm off the ground at the tripod's full height. And I believe it will take a strong wind to blow my bag to make it swing (It's so "heavy" that I scared the legs give way first )..

well, anyway, those shots with this tripod I used, was for a "I was here" kinda shot with my P&S
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

photograph people in low light, how to use bulb mode?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

already explained:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...00#post7487800

anyway i did not read TS's reply clearly, left out the last word:
    For night land scape portraits
    and usually people will say night land scape or night portrait but rarely see night land scape portrait, so i didn't read the last word "portrait".

Oh btw, just to clarify the FOC Canon tripod I was mentioning is the T4-3510 model that come with the 60D & 7D kit. Some have mistaken what I mention before as the SLIK Tripod that came with the 550D & 600D.
    Last edited by Anson; 4th October 2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

already explained:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...00#post7487800

anyway i did not read TS's reply clearly, left out the last word:

and usually people will say night land scape or night portrait but rarely see night land scape portrait, so i didn't read the last word "portrait".
    my bad
    missed out your reply.
    Exploring! :)

Anyway to modify the tripod for this trip. I am abit reluctant to lug a heavy tripod along or buy a Carbon tripod for this purpose.
    There are other things you pay for with a better tripod. My case is always very clear, what is the baseline.

Baseline is something that I can use easily and has a decent build. I'm not sure what your FOC Nikon tripod looks like, but every single FOC tripod I've seen save for the later Canon one (which is quite decent actually, just that my feel is that it won't last) has issues with easy deployment.

You can buy a decently priced Sirui package under $200 that will outperform your FOC Nikon tripod, be easy to carry, and have more ease of mind that you will actually be guaranteed of having a tripod throughout the trip and won't have to keep looking at it to see if it will topple over in stronger winds.

With a bag of money.......sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12